late70's doors on a '71 fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This week I p/u a great hardtop/door combo....but I just tried matching the doors up and they won't fit. The interior skin/frame is hitting on the roll bar so it won't close.

I was wondering if the reason it won't clear is because the doors came from what I believe was a '77 fj and my rig is a '71? I've noticed from pictures of different years that some have skins on the inside and others don't. Are there any structural differences?

Also, will I have problems when I try to mount the Hardtop on the tub?

What would you do- get a different rollbar or do I need later-model doors?

Thx
nick

'71fj40
Chevota 283

1975 and on doors are thicker than the 1974 and earlier...if they are hitting your cage, you are going to need to modify it, or find different doors...

The top will bolt to the body, the only issues will be what you are using for a rear door...ambi doors from the 1975 and on trucks, or want to use a swing up rear door for the top, from a 1974 and earlier...

If you use the ambi doors, you will need to mount the lower hinges on the body.. and if you use the swing up rear door on the top, you will need to change the piece out in the rear or the top that is between the two sides, as this piece has the hinges for the earlier door to mount to...you will also need to mount the strikers/latch pieces on the later top.

no biggie either way.

Good luck!

-Steve

I guess I'll have to cut off the front rollbar....or push it in with a sledgehammer where it hits.

The top I have has the hatchback which works with my 1/2 doors on the back.

Thanks!

-nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom