Late Stock Roll Bar into Early 40? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for you guys: Will a stock roll bar from a later cruiser, say circa '78, fit an earlier model, such as my '68? Specifically, are the ribs on top of the wheel wells spaced the same? I want to run the later roll bar so that I can also run the smaller jump seats.

Thanks for your help!

-Ed

Here is a pic of the roll bar I would like to run. Notice the notches in the mounting plates....will those line up with the ribs on my '68 without modification?
40-Roll-BarA.jpg

you wont have any plates or reenforcment under fender wells only the sheet metal to keep you safe.

you wont have any plates or reenforcment under fender wells only the sheet metal to keep you safe.

You could always add support plates inside the wheel well.

Additionally, if you're running jump seats, you'll have to fab (or buy) some relocation brackets to move the jump seats toward the center by the width of the bar. Also under the seat in the fold down position, your rubber bumpers that ride on the wheel well will probably be too far inside.

The result is that your seats will go beyond the 90 degree point before they stop on the seat frame instead of the rubber bumper stops.

Solution to this is to remount them or add another a few inches down.

Did this on my 71.

I did this in my 68 in the mid eighties. I switched to the short jump seats at the same time. I got the rollbar bracket from another cruiser. I do believe they are available from CCOT aftermarket.

The Pads on the main rail do mount on the back side. That's because the people in the back sit higher.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I pulled my old Smittybuilt roll bar out late last night and set the later model roll bar in. I am sorry to say that the rib pattern does seem to be different on the wheel wells. The spacing on my '68 is 24" from center to center and the roll bar is spaced 27 1/2". I don't know if this is a show stopper for me because the rear mounting plate sits nice and flat (not half way on/off a rib) and could easily be bolted on. It just doesn't look exactly right.

As to mounting the jump seats, I was thinking I would have to get some nutserts into the top rail of the tub for an 8mm or 10mm bolt? Wondering what others have done...

Thanks for mentioning the CCOT brackets...I was wondering what kind of support I to use. I assume these are just like stock for later years and mount to the underside of the wheel well? Are they welded on?

Pic of the CCOT bracket - cost $44.71/ea
coolfj40_2104_10255050.jpg

I fabbed an angle iron bracket to mount the short jump seats to for my 69. It had captive nuts in the tub for something (looked factory?) already so rather than drill more holes I bolt the angle to the existing ones, and then mount the jump seat to that. Ill try to get a pic or 2 up in a few.

Last edited:
I agree w/ Eddy:
Bar.jpg

I agree w/ Eddy:

HAHAHA, Agreed, the pads are backwards in that pic! :hillbilly::flipoff2::hillbilly:

That pic is not even of the actual roll bar but was one I grabbed for the sake of illustration.

This is a pic of my new (to me) roll bar. Notice the orientation of the pads. Wouldn't want the passenger to crack his or her dome on the bar :p. Now forget about the pads and lets talk about mounting the roll bar and the seats, lol. - Ed

Oh and before you say it, I know the bikini strap is right in the passengers face...
P1010353-(2)A.jpg

I fabbed an angle iron bracket to mount the short jump seats to for my 69. It had captive nuts in the tub for something (looked factory?) already so rather than drill more holes I bolt the angle to the existing ones, and then mount the jump seat to that. Ill try to get a pic or 2 up in a few.

Would love to see those pics.

Here's a pic with the jump seat mocked up. 10mm bolts to mount it to the rail?
P1010354A.jpg

I'd put the rear hoops on the proper sides so the pads face inward, unless you want to protect the pedestrians.... :)

Negative ghostrider. Those pads are mounted on the wrong side for whatever unknown reason.

I agree w/ Eddy:

I agree too. I guess I need to read only and not post while using my netbook. Or at least wait until I get new glasses. Or maybe just a old age thing:frown: You will notice in my post I refer to the main tube not the smaller tubes. I just read the post wrong and the side pads didn't stand out on the little screen.

ghostrider:hmm: That's a new one on me. I'm sure I've been called worse before:cheers:

Thanks for mentioning the CCOT brackets...I was wondering what kind of support I to use. I assume these are just like stock for later years and mount to the underside of the wheel well? Are they welded on?

Pic of the CCOT bracket - cost $44.71/ea

I maybe just a cheap-skate but that seems a little pricey for the brakets. I pickup up a tub for parts for less than the cost of just one. Besides the brackets all being in good shape there were a lot more useable parts on it.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom