Late model speedo refurb - help needed please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

I'm fixing up my speedo and needing some help and advice please. I've gone through the odometer threads (and they were very helpful) but I have a couple of unanswered questions, and here are some pics to help:

1. My speedo from an 84 BJ42LX front and back
speedo%20(1%20of%204).jpg
speedo%20(2%20of%204).jpg

2. Speedo from and an 83 FJ40LX front and back
speedo%20(4%20of%204).jpg
speedo%20(3%20of%204).jpg

My unit is missing the bit that fits into the back of the housing above the speedo - the piece with the white and black wires. I assume it is some form of light? Why would the PO remove this?

Aside from the "JO6" label on the face of the '83 speedo and "JO7" on the face of the '84 speedo - they look identical. Does anyone know if there are any other differences between these two units that would cause me hassles if I swap bits from one to the other?

And how do I remove the speedo indicator needle without trashing it?

Thanks,

AFAIK it has to do with a buzzer who warns at a certain speed (limit).

You can remove the needle by pulling straight up with slight counterclockwise twist. I believe the white and black wires are a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but I'm not sure how it works.

Lx does not have speed buzzer they were only on JDM models if the speedo had a speed sensor the numbers would be painted yellow from 100 kmh and up ,as TJS8040 said is probably VSS

Thanks again all - I was going to remove the "light" from the spare cluster and fit it to mine - I can see bugger all at night on my speedo cluster :) But clearly that would have been a waste of time since it is a VSS :doh:

Folkert, interestingly the FJ's cluster does not have yellow speed writing either.

Much obliged.

The wires are for the EC "computer" speed sensor that controls the VSV on petrol models... yours being an 42LX wont have that.

The speed sensor sends a forward motion signal to the "computer" which when senses above a certain speed and opens a VSV allows the fuel vapours, from the charcoal canister to feed into inlet manifold and be burnt in the combustion cycle.

Emission systems vary but that is the basic principal.

On my AUS '84 the sensor is a magnetic pick-up on the speedo gauge needle.
resto027.jpg

Thanks again all - I was going to remove the "light" from the spare cluster and fit it to mine - I can see bugger all at night on my speedo cluster :) But clearly that would have been a waste of time since it is a VSS :doh:

Folkert, interestingly the FJ's cluster does not have yellow speed writing either.

Much obliged.

yes, not sure when they did that, I also have seen JDM pics of speedos with the yellow lettering.. I just dont have it..
7.jpg

Best way to improve lighting in the dash cluster is to remove the shields over the 2 lights either side of the speedo, do this and put in some LEDs in place, million times better.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom