Late model FJ40 fuel tank connections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

always glad to help

DID your new tank come with a drain plug and crush ring gasket ?

toyota DISC./ NLA

i has to RE-USE the old ones each of my metal late modle tanks , so BEWARE this one fact
Mine does not have a drain plug. Im wondering if I should weld one in🤔

Mine does not have a drain plug. Im wondering if I should weld one in🤔

you need to re-use your old current one from the bad tank

the OEM crush ring gasket is STILL availble at dealer

you follow me here ?

I wouldn't worry about it if it is not there.

then all the new fresh Petrol will simply leak all over the WAWA parking lot at PUMP 17 all the way at the END of The FILLING island next Thursday at 4:22 PM when Jen goes to fill up for the first time with the NEW nice tank 🤔

then all the new fresh Petrol will simply leak all over the WAWA parking lot at PUMP 17 all the way at the FILLING island next Thursday at 4:22 PM when Jen goes to fill up 🤔

I thought those aftermarket tanks didn't have a drain hole in them? just a smooth bottom where the bung would be located

the OP was asking if he should weld one in, I stated if it is not there I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought those aftermarket tanks didn't have a drain hole in them? just a smooth bottom where the bung would be located

the OP was asking if he should weld one in, I stated if it is not there I wouldn't worry about it.

all mine had the Female Threads Roughed in Propper for a OEM PLUG , but DID NOT come with any plug or gasket

i pulled one tank and threw in the SAFE WAY dumpster first go around

i was DUMPSTER DIVING thru rotten lettuce the next day my first rodeo next day

i have NEVER seen a used plug available period ?

except that same DUDE in Montana had a NOS one years ago when i was still a small boy back in 84 ..........

you need to re-use your old current one from the bad tank

the OEM crush ring gasket is STILL availble at dealer

you follow me here ?
I dont have the original tank. The PO ditched it for a poly aftermarket one. Its one of those cheap plastic universal ones from eBay or something.

You’re probably right about not welding one in, but I like having the ability to drain fuel if needed. I got to make use of my tig welder anyway.

You’re probably right about not welding one in, but I like having the ability to drain fuel if needed. I got to make use of my tig welder anyway.

does your new tank have a Female Threaded drain port NOW

or

a delete blank OFF like i now understand @3_puppies was referring to

sorry if i missed that point being made above earlier

all mine had the Threaded Drain Port factory installed from the Quality Reproduction Parts Maker ?

nd required u re-use the original factory drain plug ?

just like they DO NOT come with a set of SUCTION Tubes Assy. ...... CALL OUT # 77206 in the EPC diagram i posted ..........

with todays gas and being in the US, not some central american type of gas, the problem of bad gas is almost a thing of the past in todays world, so the need to drain the tank is not needed in my opinion.

i have NEVER seen a used plug available period ?

except that same DUDE in Montana had a NOS one years ago when i was still a small boy back in 84 ..........

I think @Bear got one from that guy in Montana a few years ago

it's amazing how much stuff that guy has accumulated thru the years, but not as much as others.

with todays gas and being in the US, not some central american type of gas, the problem of bad gas is almost a thing of the past in todays world, so the need to drain the tank is not needed in my opinion.

I think @Bear got one from that guy in Montana a few years ago

it's amazing how much stuff that guy has accumulated thru the years, but not as much as others.

i heard he is the Largest Teq parts HORDER that side of the ROCKIES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well, since I got tagged on this, might as well comment.

The late model wide-flange tank plugs seem to have disappeared along with the draw tubes. I had to make a new draw tube set-up and used stainless, Tig-welded. As to the need for a drain--depends on where you live and the quality of the gas available to you. Those lucky enough to not have Big Brother saving you from yourself, may still find better quality fuels available. Here in Kalifornia we have so much ethanol in our re-formulated gasoline, that leaving a car sit for long periods will result in fuel separation, the alcohol attracting water from the atmosphere and settling at the bottom of the tank, and then causing problems with the entire fuel system. Add to that the possibility of rust forming in your tank, along with the crap sucked up when the gas station tank runs low, my two cents says having a way to drain your tank may some day come in handy.

The later underbody tanks are a real pain to remove and drop without access to a lift, and a full tank that's got problems is no fun dropping while on your belly underneath it. The Canadian tanks look like OEM clones minus the drain bung. Since you have the welder and the skill to add a plug setup, my choice is to find a bung/plug combo you like, and give it a shot.

Oh, yeah, still thankful to that guy in Montana for the drain plug he provided !!

Well, since I got tagged on this, might as well comment.

The late model wide-flange tank plugs seem to have disappeared along with the draw tubes. I had to make a new draw tube set-up and used stainless, Tig-welded. As to the need for a drain--depends on where you live and the quality of the gas available to you. Those lucky enough to not have Big Brother saving you from yourself, may still find better quality fuels available. Here in Kalifornia we have so much ethanol in our re-formulated gasoline, that leaving a car sit for long periods will result in fuel separation, the alcohol attracting water from the atmosphere and settling at the bottom of the tank, and then causing problems with the entire fuel system. Add to that the possibility of rust forming in your tank, along with the crap sucked up when the gas station tank runs low, my two cents says having a way to drain your tank may some day come in handy.

The later underbody tanks are a real pain to remove and drop without access to a lift, and a full tank that's got problems is no fun dropping while on your belly underneath it. The Canadian tanks look like OEM clones minus the drain bung. Since you have the welder and the skill to add a plug setup, my choice is to find a bung/plug combo you like, and give it a shot.

Oh, yeah, still thankful to that guy in Montana for the drain plug he provided !!

I need to take Public Speaking Technical Class at @Bear Evening Community College Post Graduate Credit Level Corse structure ........ 🤔

till then i remain a Technical Failure here in TECH .......:confused:

Hmmm. Not sure about that, my friend.

i WAS NOT making a JOKE of any kind to be clear , @Bear ...........

well............ maybe about being a Technical Failure a bit , was my usual SATIRE 😆

seriously

you summed up what i was struggling a bit to convey to @jjenloe ..........

sometimes being open and well honest like this is good for ones soul

i really like your Nuts and Bolts Technical write up above , nothing more and nothing less my friend ....... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom