Late model FJ40 fuel tank connections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got one of those Spectra Premium fuel tanks to replace the poly aftermarker one. The PO didnt hook up the evap system, so I have no clue what goes to what. The FSA I have highlights the FJ 40, 55, and 60 series, with an enphasis on the 60. So its basically garbage to me.
Does anyone have detailed images or a schematic they can share so I can instal it properly?

Might help to know exactly what year you're dealing with, not to mention the specific tank you're dealing with. Pictures would also help.

I have an ‘82 Fj40. Any pictures or detailed schematics of how the evap is hooked up Would be appreciated. The tank is mounted underneath and not under the seat.

I’m not saying this is the final word on this, but here is a couple of pictures out of a late model emissions manual.
5513DC11-21A8-4E4F-AD55-393B3951F9E9.jpeg
596A80FB-D2E9-4E34-969F-2BFD2AA3737B.jpeg

there was an aftermarket poly tank for the later 40's? that mounted in the stock location?

I didn’t know that, but I already purchased this tank. I asked a while ago and folks gave it two thumbs up. I like that it is made in North America (Canada).

that new tank you purchased DO have a good reputation

i have installed a few , with good results , NO complaints

this IS one part you WILL NEED :

- Fuel Tank Vaper Check Valve , make darn sure you have one and yours is good , in doubt replace

also here is a USA SPEC. 1982 FJ40 EPC DIAGRAM for you too

LINK :

1630684494033.png

1630684578989.png

1630684631228.png

do you have the fuel pickup assembly?

You're always the man Matt!

always glad to help

DID your new tank come with a drain plug and crush ring gasket ?

toyota DISC./ NLA

i has to RE-USE the old ones each of my metal late modle tanks , so BEWARE this one fact

Last edited:
not yet. I am getting things together for the install. I see on the parts list and schematic Matt supplied, I need the skid plate too. That is going to be rough.

do you need the straps then also along with the skid plate?

always glad to help

DID your new tank come with a drain plug and crush ring gasket ?

toyota DISC./ NLA

i has to RE-USE the old ones each of my metal late modle tanks , so BEWARE this one fact

I used an oring when I broke my gasket a few years ago, seems to be holding fine.

Thank you for this. I have the Haynes manual too, but I’m looking to see how to hook up the 3 evap lines going from the tank to the vapor separator.
The 3 pipes on the tank go to the 3 on the bottom of the separator? The hose mounted higher (4th) goes to that loop of tubing mounted to the floor above the tank, the other end of the loop attaches (with hose) to a tubing going along the rocker panel up to the charcoal canister.
27FBF957-6A5B-48B6-A259-7827ED9A19EC.jpeg

Last edited:
do you need the straps then also along with the skid plate?

I used an oring when I broke my gasket a few years ago, seems to be holding fine.

Is it a USCG marine fuel safe o ring ?

you're funny, if I knew what that was I'd tell you

just a Cat oring from a kit at work.

US Coast Guard Marine Grade Compliant ALL Petroleum SAFE SPECIAL MAKE UP JIS BLEND of all Synthetic Rubbers ..........

in other words a YAMAHA Grade OEM Fuel safe contact life span O-RING ..............

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom