Late Model '40 Exhaust Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at putting a new Exhaust on my '81 FJ, over Thanksgiving (it currently resides in Michigan). I live in Arizona (SMOG testing sucks), can I realistically run an exhaust system without a cat and still pass emissions, or should I plan on running a cat? Also does any one make a kit with headers and a cat? This may have been discussed already, if it has please point me in the right direction.

Thanks In Advance!
:cheers:

Whether or not you can pass depends on what type of emissions testing is done in your local. If they do not do a visual for a cat and only do a tailpipe sniffer test then yes you can pass with flying colors. Simply add a gallon of denatured alcohol to about 1/8 tank of gas and go get tested with a hot engine.

If you have a cat you can fully desmog a late model 40 and still pass a roller and tail pipe test if it is tuned correctly.

If you want to run a header you are going to have to desmog unless you buy a header with a EGR connection. A few vendors sell this type of header. You can have any decent exhaust shop bend up a cat back exhaust. Anything is better than the stock setup that goes under the framerail on the 79 and later 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom