late floor in early tub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why would you want to do this? I take it you are looking for info for the 79 you just bought here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/214041-glutton-punishment.html

Are you going to change the body mounts and all the other bits to put a 78 or earlier tub on your 79 frame? If you don't want to deal with the 79+ FJ40 differences sell what you bought and start with a 78 or earlier rig. You will probably be much happier in the end.

You mean a floor with the tank under the body?

Yes, that was my main concern.

Why would you want to do this? I take it you are looking for info for the 79 you just bought here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/214041-glutton-punishment.html

Are you going to change the body mounts and all the other bits to put a 78 or earlier tub on your 79 frame? If you don't want to deal with the 79+ FJ40 differences sell what you bought and start with a 78 or earlier rig. You will probably be much happier in the end.

Because I can get an early tub for cheap... I didn't realize the body mounts were different. How different are they? What other bits need to be changed?

Different enough that it is going to be a significant pain in the ass to make the modification required to the earlier tub fit the later frame.

Go look at a 1978 or earlier 40 series or invite another board member to your place and compare them side-by-side. You will see the differences in the frame, where the tub is secured to the frame, how the tub is secured to the frame, how the frame is different around the area where the fuel tank fits under the body/between the tube cross-member, just for starters.

Think about it:

If tub manufactures could make just one tub and have a “simple modification kit” that anyone could install to make the two tubs interchange, don’t you think that someone would be doing this?

Good luck with your project.

:beer:

If the tub is in good shape and can be had for cheap, why hack it , post some info about it , another mud member might thank you for it.:cheers::cheers:

I think you see that the 79 and later cowl are different then the earlier style. The early ones have a tunnel cover and easy split right at the front of the doors. The 79 and later only have a inspection plate on the tranny tunnel and no easy split along the floor.Plus alot of little differences on the fire wall. A 67 didn't have the brake booster and steering is different.

john

I think you see that the 79 and later cowl are different then the earlier style. The early ones have a tunnel cover and easy split right at the front of the doors. The 79 and later only have a inspection plate on the tranny tunnel and no easy split along the floor.Plus alot of little differences on the fire wall. A 67 didn't have the brake booster and steering is different.

john

Thank you for a straight answer. :cheers:

If someone would like to trade me for a '79+ tub in equal condition, I will not modify this one to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom