Late 60 and 80 series steering boxes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I’ve got a later 60 box that shares the bolt pattern with the 80 box. The box is leaking and tired. I’ve already done an new oem pump and aftermarket ps lines.

I’ve got a situation. Now that I’ve upgraded the wheels and tires, the steering is pulling. That’s not the boxes fault, but the last time I went to get an alignment they noted that the box was really sloppy. No surprise. I don’t want to mess these tires up and I’m not happy with the pulling so I’m ready to fix the box up.

The question I have are these: is there any reason to upgrade to the 80 series box or should I rebuild what I have locally?

Is it even worth rebuilding at 320,000 miles?

Will my current box accept the 105 series upgrades?

I don’t know if there is anything better about the 80 box or if I may be getting ahead just by rebuilding a lower mileage unit.

Any help is appreciated. I’ve got to knock this out, it’s the only thing that’s a major leak on my truck.

Last edited:
They are my top choice locally.

How was the before and after?

Perfection.

Update

My picture links are dead. I will try to fix that tonight but you can read younger me talking about the difference. (Idk why the preview text is wrong. Just click the link lol)

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the box gently to see how much slop you can get out of it, without having it bind at full lock? Rumor has it that rebuilders are just replacing o-rings, and not worn hard parts in the box.

Have you tried adjusting the box gently to see how much slop you can get out of it, without having it bind at full lock? Rumor has it that rebuilders are just replacing o-rings, and not worn hard parts in the box.

I’ve been scared to touch that adjuster and possibly make it leak worse.

Found a really good thread on it.

I’m searching for an 80 box locally. If I find one not leaking, it’s going in as is.

I’ve only noticed 80 boxes don’t tend to leak nearly as much as 60s. So you could be cool and slap an 80 box on and make others jealous.

Otherwise I say rebuild your existing and keep it moving. I rebuilt mine two years ago and it’s doing well. I found a clean 80 box after the fact but ended up selling it instead. 80 boxes are even available new from Toyota with 105 shaft but that requires changing pitman arm.

After adjusting tie rods and free play, the truck has been solid as a rock and I’ll gladly rip canyons with it even with 35s.
1578941851786.jpeg

There’s a comparison between the two in this thread, starting at post #425

Don’t be afraid to adjust the box to reduce play, just make small changes

I have a rebuilt 80 box with 105 shaft and 2 degree shims up front. My steering is nice and tight. You could probably get same result with a rebuilt 60 box.

I’m going to try and adjust the box before I do anything else. We will try tomorrow night.

From what I can see is better parts availability and the chance to upgrade to the 105 parts.

Not much else or a huge step up.

I had my 62’s steering box refurbed by West Texas off road as quite a few people on here have used them, wished I had known about Adco locally. Then I replaced my pump with a new CityRacer pump.
I guess it helped some initially, but I’ve never been able to get my steering feel back to where it was, the pump groans a lot and the assist is twitchy.
I keep putting it off but will completely drain and flush the system, then bleed it again with every method known to man. Hope that helps it. If not I might have Adco go through the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom