Late 40 series side window defrost - standard or option? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1982 FJ40 that is missing the side window defrost nozzles & tubes (just open holes in the dash), as well as the main tubes going to the windshield defrost. I live in Phoenix, so it's pretty rare that I would need defrost. However I am trying to keep the truck as factory stock as possible.

Does anyone know if the side window defrost was just an option, and thus plugging up the side window holes (assuming I can find the right plug) would be acceptable? Based on the diagrams on SOR.com, it looks like it was standard but I am hoping some fellow owners on here can confirm.

If plugging the side window holes is an acceptable factory fix, I think I will follow weagle99's solution for the main tubes, came out looking great I think.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interior-heater-ducts-fj40.498486/

Otherwise, if anybody has any of these parts they're willing to part with, PM me and let me know. Thanks! :)

I am pretty sure I have seen some US Spec 78+ without. It was not an option however. The ones without did not even have a hole, just uncut dash

Both my 82's had them, so does my 78. Non US rigs, many do not have them

Thanks for the replies. I too have seen some photos of non-US rigs without them, however like you said there were no holes in the dash for them either. Mine has the open holes, so certainly had them at some point. Sounds like plugging those open holes was not a "standard" option from what you guys are saying unfortunately, so I'll try to source the nozzles and tubes. Actually looks like weagle's setup is from one of the earlier heaters with the circular opening. The 82 has an oval hole which probably will require that I find the OEM parts to install.

447xpro, sent you a PM about your set... thanks!

if you wanted, you could put a non US tach in the driver side when the hole is(guessing whole would need to be enlarged). I "think" however most are from RHD drive 40's and have an angle to them.

I believe past 78 some of those non US market didn't have any heater much less side defrost. Pretty sure post 1980 models were available without a rear heater in the US. Those got the 79/80 center console. Live in the Phoenix area. I have three 78 cowls, only one has holes for side defrost. My 79 does not have side defrost but the 82 tub I have does. Do not know about the 78 cowls but my 79 does not have a rear heater but the 82 which was from Florida did.

Personally I would locate the side defrost pieces. The stock defrost hoses are made to cutout for the side defrost hoses. Advantage of the side defrost if nothing else it clears the windows enough so you can see the rearview mirrors. Just too bad the US market didn't get the relief vents in the back like Canada got. A second and almost as important use of defrost is to defog the windows as well. To do that you want outside air to lower humidity. At least the 77 model and up had the rear vent windows to help the back windows from fogging. Just not as convenient as the relief vent. Prior to 77 you just dealt with rear windowing fogging. Used my 68 many yeas for hunting in cold climate and dealt with it fogging up. While I won't cut the dash in my 68 to install the side defrost I did install rear vent windows about thirty years ago. That dead air space in the back is a killer for anyone back there when it's hot out.

My 1979 has no defrosters (uncut dash) but does have a rear heater. I believe this is all stock. My 1982 has both defrosters and a rear heater, as did my 1978. I have no reason to think they're not all US models.

My 82 has them, thought they were standard?

Weagle99 idea of the main tube is good, I agree. For the dash nozzles, possible can still order them from Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom