Late 40 series 60 series brake drums? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a pair of drums I had assumed were very early FJ40. I am now thinking these could be brake drums that match some 8/80+ backing plates and brakes parts I have. Early drums do not have two threaded holes to help pull the drum over the shoes but these do. Pictures of one of them.
20220228_115719.jpg

20220228_115654.jpg

They seem to match a 8/80+ 40 series FF I have. What I am not seeing on any of these is the wear limit cast into them. Which is why I was thinking very early 40. The threaded holes suggest later.

Do this look like 60 series drums?

Thanks

They’re likely beyond repair whatever they are. After they get lathed down to be usable again, I bet there won’t be enough good metal on the friction surface to meet the minimum spec. — unless they’re just rusted new, then maybe there’s a chance.

Aftermarket drums can fit any cruiser. The originals on a ‘86 FJ60 had a indent groove around the outer side to let you grab on to when pulling them off. I don’t see that on yours but you didn’t show a side view pic - so hard to know for sure.

8/80-up 40 and 60 drums are the same, full float or semi float

They’re likely beyond repair whatever they are. After they get lathed down to be usable again, I bet there won’t be enough good metal on the friction surface to meet the minimum spec. — unless they’re just rusted new, then maybe there’s a chance.
Think they look worse then they really are. Can see where my fingers where on the inside of the drum. In AZ deep rust is rare. Not knowing the specs can't say how worn they even are. Probably had them for fifteen years.

8/80-up 40 and 60 drums are the same, full float or semi float

Thsnk your, fugured that was the case. I figured they probably were. Have a couple FF and semi floater. I see different part number but know that doesn't mean they are different part numbers for different models.

Use a brass brush on the braking surface. If anything would prevent this from being serviceable would be taking out the shallow ridges would put it past specs. What look like deep rust is very light surface rust. Don't use unserviceable parts especially on safety items.

20220228_170720.jpg

Aftermarket drums can fit any cruiser. The originals on a ‘86 FJ60 had a indent groove around the outer side to let you grab on to when pulling them off. I don’t see that on yours but you didn’t show a side view pic - so hard to know for sure.
Here is a side view. Plus a little depression on the other corner
20220301_162939.jpg
20220301_162904.jpg

The rust is actually from me storing them outside for a while. I believed these were off a 61 FJ40 which were different than later years. Sold some stuff and moved them back in the garage. Wasn't until I dug out the backing plates and did see any drums that I figured what these possibly were. Drums were piled with the outside up. They were stacked up off the ground. This was also in the desert. This pictures show the sides of one set the shoes. Other set is identical.
20220301_162854.jpg

Realize these are 60 series drums. Question what does the groove on the side look like? 2. Are OEM drums cast with the wear limit? Haven't seen one on these.

Here is a side view. Plus a little depression on the other corner
View attachment 2940896View attachment 2940898
The rust is actually from me storing them outside for a while. I believed these were off a 61 FJ40 which were different than later years. Sold some stuff and moved them back in the garage. Wasn't until I dug out the backing plates and did see any drums that I figured what these possibly were. Drums were piled with the outside up. They were stacked up off the ground. This was also in the desert. This pictures show the sides of one set the shoes. Other set is identical.
View attachment 2940914
Realize these are 60 series drums. Question what does the groove on the side look like? 2. Are OEM drums cast with the wear limit? Haven't seen one on these.

1646217780600.png

1646217828080.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom