Late 40 Inner Fenders...Painted, Undercoated or Both? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing a frame-on refresh of my ‘82 FJ40. I’m looking at the rear inner fenders and trying to decide if Mr. T painted the inner fenders body color. It looks to me like gray primer with a coat of undercoat and then possible top coated with either gray primer or body color. This is an unmolested, no accident, one owner, original paint truck. No funny business going on with this truck. What am I looking at? What say the OEM experts?
9B4D168D-E498-46AE-8B16-20D9FBC2F9A5.jpeg

B579EA8D-0460-4A9E-B4A0-CCB0F5762BD5.jpeg

20A30DCB-E31C-48BD-B407-3944D875C758.jpeg

It's factory white never been repainted. The primer under the undercoat is the same tan/gray that runs along the top edge of the tub that is exposed primer. The topcoat on the undercoat seems a little more gray and less tan than the primer.

Some factory sales brochures might be the best betfor figuring it out.

Last edited:
When was the frame repainted? It looks like there’s overspray from the frame paint in the wheel wells. I don’t think the textured coating is factory. It may have been applied by the dealer or the original owner. No need to try to replicate it.

It looks like the whole truck was repainted. It could be dealer applied undercoating with overspray from a paint job. More pics would help.

Last edited:
When was the frame repainted? It looks like there’s overspray from the frame paint in the wheel wells. I don’t think the textured coating is factory. It may have been applied by the dealer or the original owner. No need to try to replicate it.

It looks like the whole truck was repainted. It could be dealer applied undercoating with overspray from a paint job. More pics would help.
I painted the frame last week. What looks like overspray is actually old undercoating. The undercoating appears to have been top coated with a light gray paint. Where the gray has worn away, the black undercoating is more apparent. In the areas that get constant wear from rocks, sand and such, the undercoating is beginning to release and there is gray underneath. So it looks like gray primer with undercoat and a top coat of gray. The truck still sports its original paint. I have done some paint correction to bring back the shine. This was a barn find truck. I bought the truck from a local farmer who bought it new in ‘82. He confirmed that it has never had any body or paint work done. Undercoating could be a dealer install, I’m not sure, but the dealer definitely did have their way with this truck because it has dealer installed AC and cruise control. It has factory PS.
5D8B5493-7ADA-48A8-B5F2-DD713C7709FB.jpeg

It's factory white never been repainted. The primer under the undercoat is the same tan/gray that runs along the top edge of the tub that is exposed primer. The topcoat on the undercoat seems a little more gray and less tan than the primer.

Some factory sales brochures might be the best betfor figuring it out.
Only problem is that the sales brochures mainly show the pretty parts and not under the fenders. It would be interesting to see what the fender wells look like on a darker colored truck that has never been repainted. I wonder if they are gray too?

Looks like a nice rig. Most of those years had holes everywhere, especially east coast. The wheel wells looks like rust is happening on the lip edge deep inside. These years it rusts from inside out.

Looks like a nice rig. Most of those years had holes everywhere, especially east coast. The wheel wells looks like rust is happening on the lip edge deep inside. These years it rusts from inside out.
Like all late 40’s, this one does have some rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom