Last years Cheers and Jeers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
About this time of year I start getting antsy to get out and do some camping, even though the weather usually isn't cooperating.

I usually feed the need by reviewing the gear I used last year and consider replacing stuff that is broken, worn out or just didn't live up to expectations. I also pull stuff out of storage and give it a good once over making repairs and cleaning up and crud that was missed before I stored things away for the winter.

What new stuff are you planning on getting?

What did you use last year that was a flop?

What do you do to prepare for the season?

I have the privilege of owning a Kimberley Kamper so I have accommodations covered in spades. The only weak thing about the Kimberley I have found is the Hella power sockets. These sockets are prone to corrosion and are difficult to clean. In addition special plugs are required to fit them.

My Kamper's sockets have been problematic since I acquired the trailer 7 years ago. Last week I cut into the trailer and replaced all of those Hellas with Blue Sea locking (ciga) sockets. The net result is the finest offroad camping trailer in the world just got better.....

...... The only weak thing about the Kimberley I have found is the Hella power sockets. These sockets are prone to corrosion and are difficult to clean. In addition special plugs are required to fit them.

My Kamper's sockets have been problematic since I acquired the trailer 7 years ago......
My National Luna fridge/freezer came with, I think, a Hella power socket and 12v matching cord. The Hella socket I Googled looks like what I have. I'm thinking you might have uncovered a problem that has just surfaced on a trip to Baja. An intermittant loss of power to the NL. Are the sockets you replaced on the exterior or interior of your trailer, Dan? And is the corrosion visable? I need to pull socket and look closely at it. Mine is inside the rear of my 80 on the PS wall. On the return trip in early January to Oregon, I experienced a lot of moisture and below zero fahrenheit temps. So, I'm thinking the exposure to the cold temps and condensation might have started some corrosion.

I replaced all of them. Three on the outside and two inside. All of them were problematic. They didn't look too bad but they did not conduct worth a damn.

For a dedicated fridge connection I use this from ARB. You can remove the socket from the housing and flush-mount it if you wish. The fridge side end may be different but you could splice it easily. The plug has a threaded sleeve that secures it to the socket.
10900028.jpg
10910076.jpg

tmp_17648-20170206_1607091715262854.jpg
Here it is mounted in my BJ74. It is the forward socket. The rear socket is a Bluesea ciga.

I have a dislike for the cigg style plug/socket, something about spring loading the connector in such a way it forces it apart annoys me.
On my list of to-do's is replacing all my 12V plugs and sockets with power pole connectors.

I also want to replace the cigg lighter in my FJ40 with this
Panel Mounted 4.2 Amp Dual USB Charging Jack

Blue Sea sells those as well.

The Blue Sea marine ciga (and probably some of the others) has a couple locking notches in the barrel. If you use their plug or one with similar shoulders you can insert it and rotate it 90 degrees to "lock" it in place. I have a male plug on order to get a look at it. I will be replacing the Hella plug on my Kimberley LED strip light.

12 Volt Plug - Blue Sea Systems
1010.png

Last edited:
I have the Hella plug as well on my National Luna Weekender 50 fridge and freezer, and I had to install their receptacle as well.
I will put up pics of the new camping gear I have been hoarding since I got the fridge in September.
Paul at Equipt told me I was better off using the Hella plug than a regular cigg plug.
I first unwired one of my dual 12v plugs in the rear and powered the Hella receptacle, but the fridge would not run, power wire too thin.
I had Cartoys install from the second battery 8 gauge amp stereo wire, and that cured the snag, fridge has plenty of juice now.

I'm with you on that

I wouldn't replace it. Install it next to existing cigg - you never know when you might need an old one available.
I'm trying not to hack the dash up more than necessary on the FJ40.

you will have to open the hole in the dash up to 1 and 1/8 inches to fit the USB socket. All the brands I have seen (they all probably come from the same Asian sweat shop anyway) are 1 and 1/8 inches in diameter.

you will have to open the hole in the dash up to 1 and 1/8 inches to fit the USB socket. All the brands I have seen (they all probably come from the same Asian sweat shop anyway) are 1 and 1/8 inches in diameter.
I'l probably build my own then.

I have the Hella plug as well on my National Luna Weekender 50 fridge and freezer, and I had to install their receptacle as well.
I will put up pics of the new camping gear I have been hoarding since I got the fridge in September.
Paul at Equipt told me I was better off using the Hella plug than a regular cigg plug.
I first unwired one of my dual 12v plugs in the rear and powered the Hella receptacle, but the fridge would not run, power wire too thin.
I had Cartoys install from the second battery 8 gauge amp stereo wire, and that cured the snag, fridge has plenty of juice now.
You'll find that it's better to run the fridge off the aux battery, anyway. I ran the 8 gauge from mine back to a terminal block inside the PS panel in the rear of my 80. From the term. blk. I can split the 12v off to other uses like an additional 12v connector. I use it for charging my phone & InReach while camping and also to run my Brake Buddy when towing my 80. :cheers:

Last edited:
The Mojave Desert was really nice last weekend, the breeze/wind dried it out enough, but still no dust. I expect some decent wildflowers as soon as the temp hits 90 for a few days in a row

I bought a NICE sleeping pad. Alps Mountaineering XL. IT is really big and thick and self-inflates. On Sale for 90 bucks.

Good to know, my Big Agnes pad gave out last year and I'm looking to replace it.

On the cooking front: Thanks to @Mace and @chicago I will be trying my hand at discada cooking this year.
OMG - I googled "discada cooking" and got this link: and couldn't stop watching it and getting hungrier & hungrier. One delicious meal after another cooked... Where did you get your cooker, or have you got it yet? What a good idea for camping or overlanding in Baja!

I bought a NICE sleeping pad. Alps Mountaineering XL. IT is really big and thick and self-inflates
I've used one for the past 4 years and really like it. I wish it was wider. Cabella's has some that are wider. I bought it for use in the back of my 4runner. I store it inflated in a closet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom