Last project - wipers. Look at this plastic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this is the only thing left on my vehicle that doesn't work so this is the last project I'm going to have until it goes through a full restoration in maybe a year or two.

check out how nasty the plastic connectors are. They actually crumble when I touch them. And look at those rubber mounts. They are so hard they feel like plastic.

I'm going to try and follow the instructions from some of the earlier threads to see if I can get this thing functioning again. Hopefully everything works but we will see

IMG_20200225_160556.jpg

IMG_20200225_160644.jpg

IMG_20200225_160650.jpg

IMG_20200225_161224.jpg

IMG_20200225_161227.jpg

This piece doesn't budge at all with hand power. This'll be fun

By the way, it's from a 1970 FJ40

IMG_20200225_171025.jpg

I forgot to address the mechanicals. You will have to take both the drive and slave apart and clean/polish and remove the old grease. Then add new grease and it will work.
I will try to clean, polish, and even repaint if I am extremely motivated or get extremely bored. the wires are faded so bad it's hard to tell what the actual colors are and I know there are several threads on here that tell you which colors to plug where so it may be a little bit of guesswork

@crockett may have one of those black rubber mounts in one of his recent For Sale postings IIRC. @ToyotaMatt should be able to help you with the replacement connector.

I don't even know if this is fixable now that I see it. Apparently the threads are smashed flat and they are flat all the way around

IMG_20200226_093941.jpg

I forgot to address the mechanicals. You will have to take both the drive and slave apart and clean/polish and remove the old grease. Then add new grease and it will work.
Do you just use normal waterproof grease for that? Or is it a certain kind needed?

regarding that connector, pay special attention to the wiring configuration. The wires change at the connector, 2 wires flip.

Another great find. Thanks a ton. Of course these sites will only help if my wiper motor actually works. I haven't connected it to a battery yet to test it but I'm going to clean it first

While somewhat on the same topic. Is there a trick to get the rod to connect back onto the shaft at the wiper? Mine was taken off and now I can’t get it to pop back onto the post

5EE65987-B80B-4FE3-A34F-20C59311BBDA.jpeg

EF385B6F-A541-4708-A6D0-1DE077195CFE.jpeg

I am not one to answer that so hopefully someone else can because I have an earlier Land Cruiser than you do

Well, sort of positive news.

I did not clean out the gears yet or anything like that but I did disconnect the driver side slave from the passenger side. I did not take off the C clips though, but I just disconnected the wire from the other end.

I hooked up the positive to the solid blue wire then I hooked up the negative to the blue and white and the motor lurched but nothing moved. So now I will do an extensive clean out to see if this can be resolved

Okay so I know this is not completely clean yet but even with the way it looks now I tested both the high and the low and they work in immaculately well. Definitely not a motor problem and it was just a gummed up gearing problem just like everyone else has.

Now the two biggest problems I have left are:

What do I do about that bent pin that holds the wiper blade on the driver side?

What do I do about the smashed threads on the passenger side? Should I just take a die set to it and try and rethread it?

IMG_20200226_131608.jpg

IMG_20200226_101507.jpg

IMG_20200226_093941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom