Last Minute Trip to Jacumba-Sunday 4-7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided just now to head to Jacumba tomorrow late morning. My wife has plans in San Diego until 10:30. We’ll head to Jacumba directly from there. Best guess is we’ll be at the Jacacuma Gas Station at 11:30am. Plan is to head to the end somewhere and have lunch on the trail and drive back out. The route should be similar to what we did a couple of weeks ago. I’ll have my wife and both kids.

If anyone wants to join us, let me know.
HAM 146.490
76o.8o2.7374
Mike

Wish we could join you for the trip I've already have plans for tomorrow damn it.

Decided just now to head to Jacumba tomorrow late morning. My wife has plans in San Diego until 10:30. We’ll head to Jacumba directly from there. Best guess is we’ll be at the Jacacuma Gas Station at 11:30am. Plan is to head to the end somewhere and have lunch on the trail and drive back out. The route should be similar to what we did a couple of weeks ago. I’ll have my wife and both kids.

If anyone wants to join us, let me know.
HAM 146.490
76o.8o2.7374
Mike
Darn I just got the message, we were probably driving right by you today. My Brother in law and his wife wanted to camp in the desert so we packed up last night for a quicky then came back this morning.

How was the trail?

Anyone run Valley of the Moons trail? In that area, a bit further.

We got started a little later than expected. Hopefully nobody was looking for us. It was a solo trip.

We arrived at the trailhead at 12:25 after a couple of pitstops along the way out. About a half mile in, we had to stop and wait for some Jeeps to pass. At first it looked like 5 or 6 jeeps. As it turned out, 48 jeeps came out! I guess it was the annual San Diego Jeep Clubs day at Jacumba! One jeeper stopped and warned me not to go. He said the trail was way to Gnarly to pass going up. Challenge ACCEPTED! I told him we had just done the run a couple of weeks ago and we were going to go have a look for ourselves. He raised his hands and waived at me like I was an idiot. He said "good luck" in a sarcastic tone and drove off.

We got to the spot called "Axle Breaker" to find another Jeep parked on top of it. The guy was out scoping his line to come down. While I admit the obstacle was slightly rougher having just had 48 Jeeps come through it, it wasn't bad. The Jeep backed up to allow me to pass him. I think he was amazed how easily the 5000lb+ Station Wagon crawled up it and past him and his buddy.

we rolled up another 100 feet to the righthand down hill (opposite way than we went last time) only to find 4 more Jeeps at the bottom. One of the Jeeps, a brand new Rubicon (all decked out) had blown an engine and they were trying to figure out how to get it out. They said it would be about 15 minutes or so......about 1 hour later and only a few feet of progress, we decided to head up the other road. I made a wrong turn and looped all the way back around behind the Jeeps. We parked on top of the hill and had a nice picnic lunch and watched the show down below us. They had a train of jeeps strapped together. One to pull and 2 behind for brakes. I guess the broken jeep had no brakes without the engine. They were also fighting no power steering. We watched them go down Axle Breaker (waterfall) and we loaded back up to head around and get to the area just past Elliott Mine.

We hung out there and climbed around on the rocks, took a few photos, etc...

After, I put my 14 y/o behind the wheel and let him drive us all the way out to the end staging area. We aired back up, hit the road and went for a beer and burger.

All in all, a great day Land Cruising!

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

B294520A-6CA9-4B6C-BDC7-0FBE0B4BF95C.jpeg

22436D79-13D9-4839-AEAE-6BCA5235593C.jpeg

17C1E202-389E-4A7E-9792-074C8AB8EC9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom