Last Minute Trip - Denver Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What did you settle on for Friday/Sat. Most on here are located south of Denver.

What did you settle on for Friday/Sat. Most on here are located south of Denver.

Friday night, probably staying with my buddy cause it will be dark when we get in town.
Saturday, Argentine pass in the morning, ?? for lunch, Bill Moore for the afternoon and camping
Sunday, Pickle (??), T-33 and then TBD for camping and dinner.

Are you up for a day/afternoon of wheeling?

Wouldn't mind having a contact in the event something goes wrong if anybody is willing to be that contact.

Thanks,

Jack

FYI to everyone- dispersed camping is no longer allowed anywhere on Guanella Pass. I believe you can still camp up on Argentine though. That’s a great trail.

Bill Moore is pretty good. Lots of alpine tundra views. Check out Empire Loop while you’re up there, it’s bumpy, but a great trail, with an in tact cabin you can check out. Air down. Lol.

Pickle might be a “let’s pull the winch” trail, depending on your skill level. Especially in something the size of an 80. It’s a short trail, and I didn’t find it all that scenic or nice. Lots of recreational shooting in that area.

Switzerland Trail is awesome, it’s easy enough for a Subaru, until you get on the side trail that breaks off out of the little housing area. Forgetting the name right now. That trail gets tight, and lots of suspension flex, or a traction device are recommended.
(Edit: Pennsylania Gulch is the side trail.)

Moon and Gamble Gulches are very nice. Moon is the prettier side of the loop, and route finding gets pretty tough to make the complete loop to come out Gamble.

Last edited:
Friday night, probably staying with my buddy cause it will be dark when we get in town.
Saturday, Argentine pass in the morning, ?? for lunch, Bill Moore for the afternoon and camping
Sunday, Pickle (??), T-33 and then TBD for camping and dinner.

Are you up for a day/afternoon of wheeling?

Wouldn't mind having a contact in the event something goes wrong if anybody is willing to be that contact.

Thanks,

Jack

That might a bit far north for the time I have this weekend, need to think about it.

As for contacts, do you have a HAM radio and if so know how to use it other than like a CB? I ask because its not the case for too many 4x4 IMHO. If so, I can give you repeater info and a widely used simplex frequency. Other than that use your buddy or calling the sheriffs office is better than relying on someone that may or may be available. Sheriff may wind up calling these guys if you can't get out for some reason.

Home - Colorado 4x4 Rescue & Recovery

Luke has more insight on how they coordinate ;)

If it makes you feel better I can PM you my number.

That might a bit far north for the time I have this weekend, need to think about it.

As for contacts, do you have a HAM radio and if so know how to use it other than like a CB? I ask because its not the case for too many 4x4 IMHO. If so, I can give you repeater info and a widely used simplex frequency. Other than that use your buddy or calling the sheriffs office is better than relying on someone that may or may be available. Sheriff may wind up calling these guys if you can't get out for some reason.

Home - Colorado 4x4 Rescue & Recovery

Luke has more insight on how they coordinate ;)

If it makes you feel better I can PM you my number.

Like most, I use mine for super basic comms on the trail (practicing basic etiquette and am licensed...) but hitting repeaters isn’t something I’m familiar enough to do. Plus my little handheld doesn’t put out the most wattage.

I’m hopeful we won’t run into any issues. If you’re free and wanna make the trek, let’s coordinate something. I’m Verizon, so I should have enough service to get something out somewhere.

Thinking more about this. What time are you planning on being at 352/381 junction?

Have you given any thought to Slaughterhouse gulch?

Guanella/Argentine is the junction I was referring to.

Slaughterhouse is in the same general area and you can get there from Denver by way of HWY 285. Afterward you could go up Guanella and then up Argentine and back to Denver on I-70. I'm not planning on an all day outing. Just thinking of a way to meet up and give you a bit of local confidence. I think there is enough traffic up Argentine there wouldn't be a safety concern. In fact, it might have a lot of traffic.

One of the things I want to accomplish is testing out my GX build a bit more than I have been able to do and think with Slaughterhouse I can find some places to do a bit of testing, but it is not a hard trail.

Back in KC, safe and sound. We had a blast out in Colorado for a couple of days and go to meet @CO_Hunter and one of his buddies.

First, let me get the "thanks" out of the way. Thanks to those who posted in this thread - looking back, there was absolutely nothing to worry about from either the trail perspective or the weather but the input you guys gave was invaluable. Big thanks to @CO_Hunter for taking a roughly 2 hour drive to meet me to go up Argentine pass. My girlfriend and I had a great time with you guys and really enjoyed the banter up the hill.

Second, let's talk passes.

Argentine Pass:
We met Saturday morning to Argentine Pass. Elevation is up there (13,207) and the wind was even stronger. I've never struggled to put my jacket on because it was so windy before. The trail up was easy with only one or two technical spots. The views were fantastic and with the change in seasons, very colorful. We camped here the first night and it was an "ideal" camp spot with flat ground and well taken care of lots. Very close to town in the event you need to run in for booze or gas. We got a beer at the local brewery and then hopped over to get some pizza at another local restaurant before going up looking for a spot.

Middle St. Vrain:
We did this Sunday afternoon at Leon and Luke's recommendation. This may have been the best, most "diverse" wheeling I've done. Big boulders, some mud, water crossing, uphill, and a little thinking. The first 1/4 or 1/2 mile included some of the most technical spots on the trail. I did it unlocked but did have to stack one rock so as to clear my rear control arm. Coming down, I was able to put my sliders to good use as it kept a rock out of my quarters, door, and rear quarter. Fun factor is up there with the best (10/10) but the pucker factor was low (0/10). We didn't get to camp or hike there but that's a must on my next trip out.

We'll definitely be back to do more in the area, preferably over at least 3 days or more since there's so much to do. Hopefully we'll be able to meet more of the local mud members next time.

Pics in the next posting.

Jack

8412C25B-E87A-4E62-998D-BCB800107EB7.jpeg
81630197-544D-47B3-B41D-7ED9E1609409.jpeg
43D37F5F-D901-49DD-B735-9E07C2D2237F.jpeg
506671C0-DFEB-48B8-AEBF-996F47633BC7.jpeg
D17AB2AC-0626-4CA3-868D-41A5ED66DFE6.jpeg

Great time, will wheel with you anytime. BTW, Luke is @black95 . First time up Argentine for me as well, nice trail.

For the record, I was not stuck in that pic, Luke was checking the brake lines and bump stops as I am still getting used to this build. I was able to test the ATRAC some more on the tailings pile. Loose and steep with a hole at the top. It took a couple of tries but I made it. I’m getting more impressed with ATRAC.

Glad you enjoyed MSV! It’s definitely high on my list of favorite trails. Had a great day meeting and wheeling with you two on Argentine. Couldn’t have asked for a better day. :)

Glad you enjoyed MSV! It’s definitely high on my list of favorite trails. Had a great day meeting and wheeling with you two on Argentine. Couldn’t have asked for a better day. :)

Likewise! I was telling Sylvia that experience is what the Mud and wheeling community is all about. We'll let you guys know the next time we're in the area - a little more in advance this time - so we can plan some more trails.

Great time, will wheel with you anytime. BTW, Luke is @black95 . First time up Argentine for me as well, nice trail.

For the record, I was not stuck in that pic, Luke was checking the brake lines and bump stops as I am still getting used to this build. I was able to test the ATRAC some more on the tailings pile. Loose and steep with a hole at the top. It took a couple of tries but I made it. I’m getting more impressed with ATRAC.

Also quite impressed with the ATRAC on both the hill climb and where you were flexed out and traction would generally be an issue. It's an impressive system.

I'll be curious to hear how you like that rig after you wheel it some more, especially compared to your 80.

Jack

Guys, coming this way again at the end of the month and will be there for Labor Day weekend.

I'm 50/50 on making the rest of the trip to the Ouray/Telluride area but if I can get the same views, mix of offroading, and cool small towns closer by, I'm willing to not drive an extra 6-7 hours. Last time, we spend a good bit of our time in Idaho Springs and Georgetown area.

Would you recommend exploring more in that area or heading on to another town further north/south/west of Denver?

More planning coming soon...
Jack

Our club will be doing a San Juan Trip Sept 5-9 (dates may be a bit flexible still). We have a free dispersed camping area (Golden Horn) just north of Silverton. We'll be running different trails (depending on what is open). If you are out here during that time frame, feel free to join us!

Our club will be doing a San Juan Trip Sept 5-9 (dates may be a bit flexible still). We have a free dispersed camping area (Golden Horn) just north of Silverton. We'll be running different trails (depending on what is open). If you are out here during that time frame, feel free to join us!

That would be awesome! We enjoyed running with @CO_Hunter last time we were out there. Unfortunately, we can't push the trip back to the 5th. We'll be out there August 30th - September 2nd so if the dates change up a bit, we might make the extra trek to Silverton area.

How is the wheeling near where you're from?

Jack

Hey Jack, yeah that was good trip. One area we ran as a club for years was the Buena Vista area and I believe I was the one that did that last few years of planning for it. Not really sure why that fell out of favor with the club. In my opinion, it is a very underrated area that is quite beautiful with great trails. You can search our club forum for past trail runs and reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom