last minute run: Sat AM to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
Fengler and myself will be running up the trail to Crown King. We will leave my house in North Scottsdale/Phx area around 8am and meet at the 4 sons gas station on Carefree Hwy and I-17 at approximately 8:45. Gas station is located one light East of the 17 on Carefree.

Last minute plan to enjoy the nice day tomorrow and get out. This is an invitation to anyone interested to join us and do a great run.

PM me if you need any details or directions.

so far there will be three of us. If anyone sees this late, its looking like we will get there closer to 9:15

Picked up a set of OEM replacement running boards yesterday in case originals get damaged. Thought about going to the meeting last night (figure that is when this was planned) but had a couple of grandkids and wife had a migraine.:crybaby::(

Shoot, missed this one. Have a good time!

Need a full condition report on this run. My neighbor (new 62 Series owner) wants to run up there after Christmas. Pinstriping and/or stock clearance or tire rubbing would be the most concern. I'll post up for anyone that missed this run.

It was fun! I broke a plastic axle/lug cover off of one of my wheels.

Y93v3Cl.jpg

Thanks for the run murf, i havent had that much fun in way too long. :santa:

edit: seeing one of my HS crushes helped :p

Need a full condition report on this run. My neighbor (new 62 Series owner) wants to run up there after Christmas. Pinstriping and/or stock clearance or tire rubbing would be the most concern. I'll post up for anyone that missed this run.

He will be fine Norm, the road was recently graded and the smoothest Ive seen it. Had to search out the bypasses for fun

There were the three of us on this trip, we met up at the Carefree gas station and topped off our fuel. Fengler borrowed my handheld Ham to listen into our chatter throughout the trip. The road was perfect: recent rains had the road dust free which is always a pleasure. There were small puddles in places and thin mud but mostly just enough to hard pack down the road. The weather was clear and cool - couldn't ask for better!

Airing down >
Fengler in his white 100 and Fumann in his desert Dune collectors 80 talking about some new air down valves Fumann picked up recently
ck air down.jpg
Fengler hadn't been to CK since a kid so it made it fun for all. Now that he was with other wheelers, he wanted to try some more challenging lines and did a great job of handling some rough sections - a real natural! Saw more than a few times his 100 lifing a wheel. Some pics from the trail
ck fumann.jpg

ck fengler.jpg

What a classic trip with the change in elevation, flora, fauna, temperatures. Gotta like the high speed dirt road at the end to make it nice ~

more pics

ck nick.jpg
ck trent.jpg

Up top we ran into some snow - I tried a new photo setting on my phone taking this picture. My phone has definitely replaced carrying a camera around!

ck snow.jpg

Instead of stopping for lunch at CK, we pushed down the road to stop at the Cleator bar and yacht club for lunch. unfortunately they don't serve food so we scarfed up all their peanuts :hillbilly:

Pretty cool place and has a Rocky Point vibe. We hung out for a while and swapped some interesting stories and laughed about the recurring theme of our stories of how small a world it is. Good company :cheers:

ck cleator.jpg
ck cleator backyard.jpg

Last edited:
Fumann and I were going to run the rough stretch "muffler alley?" but a Jeep was stuck badly 2/3rds of the way up and was taking forever to get their buddies to get him out.

Jeepers :rolleyes: lol

I will say that many people liked our LandCruisers. We were following a mixed group at one point with mildly or stock vehicles (Non Toyotas) that were going up a short steep section and struggling hard (spinning, sliding, cursing, puckering, etc) . We pulled up and while they watched, we slowly, and calmly (no slipping whatsoever) climbed up and over. The girl in the Range Rover (Fengler's friend) exclaimed in a "I cant believe it" tone: "Oh my God, what are these things?!"

Us Land Cruiser owners just smiled and waved. LOL

:steer:

one of my favorite trails!! looks like a lot of fun. Im out of town or I would have been on this for sure.

Hell yeah, nothing like that "fxxx yeah, I got this" feeling.

all three of us had our State Trust Land permits although CK trail doesn't cross over any. I think.

That's the problem, its hard to know where State trust land begins and ends. To be safe (thanks again LongDuck for the education) we all carry them in our rigs.

@murf I just got a text from her, it says "Our air ride went out immediately after seeing you! Just got back to my phone" lolol I feel bad, but that is pretty funny.

We were following a mixed group at one point with mildly or stock vehicles (Non Toyotas) that were going up a short steep section and struggling hard (spinning, sliding, cursing, puckering, etc) . We pulled up and while they watched, we slowly, and calmly (no slipping whatsoever) climbed up and over.

So guys did the 80s have the lockers engaged? I know a 2000 100 series have TRAC but I see this one has some mods, does it have a rear locker installed?

Airing down and a steady gas pedal got him through some tough stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom