Lassen, Lava Beds, Crater

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Russ in California, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
    Heading out in the morn with the 13 year old for Lassen National Park. No real 4wheeling, oh well.
    After Lassen we'll head for Lava Beds National Monument and on to Crater Lake National Park. Been this route before and each seperatly. Looking forward to the time away from work. Might check out Shasta Caverns again.
    Will be looking for some off roading along the route. Have to be careful though, we'll be in the wife's 80. Should be pretty warm. Burn the fog out of our systems.
    Be good,
    :cool:

2. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great trip Russ...

What route are you taking out from the Eureka-Arcata area? Are you heading inland then up on 299 or are you going up 101 to 199 and across to the 5?

How are gas prices in Eureka these days? $3.00 yet?

Safe journeys and take pics!
    Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Lassen's a cool park. My friend has a cabin near the back entrance to the park -- coming in from Warner Valley -- we hike through the trails back there several times a year.

Sounds like a great trip. :D

4. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    How are gas prices in Eureka these days? $3.00 yet?

We were in SF yesterday...saw $3.159 for premium (Shell)...

5. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Ouch...and I thought the 2000 summer gas prices were bad...

Not like it's any better anywhere else either...seems like th rest of the country has cought up to CA gas prices....

Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

6. Rich

Rich

Be certain to check out Bumpass Hell.

7. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
    We'll head out 299, hit Oasis Fun Park in Redding for some go cart fun then up to the park for some cool elevaiton. Should be around 100* in Redding tomorrow.
    Gas is out there. 8 cent increase Friday alone. Premium is over 3 and regular is a low 2.89 at the cheapie here in town. The card lock is 10 cents cheaper. Ouch.
    :cool:

8. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Say hi to the Trinities for me! Ah...I miss the Trinity River during the summers... :frown:

Soon to be back hopefully.

Safe travels!

9. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
  10. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, we made it home in one piece. Got home Friday about 6pm. Nice trip too. A bit on the warm side for us coastal types.
    First day we set out about 10am and hit Redding (96*F/35.6*C) and did some go carts at the fun park. Off to Lassen National Park (http://www.nps.gov/lavo/ ) and the Cinder Cone. Nice camp. Even had bear boxes to keep the peskys out of the food. Didn’t see any though.
    The elevation(6100’/1859m) and the dry hot climate made the kid a bit limp morning of day 2 so we hiked only out along the Cinder Cone lava flow. On to Lava Beds National Monument http://www.nps.gov/labe/ . Check out the Lava Beds Live Cam at http://www.nps.gov/labe/content/webcam.htm . Hot and dry again. Made camp and chilled for the rest of the day.
    Day 3 we did about 4 or 5 Lava Tubes. Quite hot on the walk to and from but nice and cool (about 50*F/10*C) inside. Boy was that welcome.
    Pulled up camp and hit the rest of the park on the way to Crater.
    Lava flows all over along the way, then we hiked Captain Jacks Stronghold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Jack's_Stronghold .
    On to Crater National Parkhttp://www.nps.gov/crla/
    A bit of a drive and still that high, hot and dry climate.
    Camped at Mazama camp ground. A bit too big of a camp ground but had a store and showers which were welcome.
    We wanted to do the boat tour so I set out about 7 am to drive to the other side of the lake via rim drive to pre purchase tickets as they would be sold out later in the day. Drove back to camp, had breakfast, broke camp and headed out around the lake again. Many view spots and great pics to be had. At Cleatwood Cove we had the mile walk down to the lake which was hard on my knees. Got there a bit early and had to wait for and hour before our tour. The water is so blue it is amazing. Around the lake, a brief stop at Wizard Island, on to the Fantom Ship, out across the deep end(1900 feet plus/579 meters). Deepest in North America I believe.
    Back to the dock and the most unpleasant part of the trip. One mile hike back up the side of the cauldera (about 750 feet/228m elevation gain). I was puffing hard. Not a hike I’d like to repeat soon. Off again around the rest of rim drive, more pics and then we said good- bye to Crater Lake. We took a motel that night in Medford, OR. By the time we ate we were too tired to swim in the pool.
    Packing up next morn I discovered a dead battery. Called the tow guy and got a jump. We thought it might be the battery and at the repair shop they tested the battery(low voltage) and the alternator(he tested it as bad). Now what? Wait and have it repaired or replaced the next day or…charge up the battery and go for it. Thought I’d have to hit a battery charger several times in the 200 miles to home but when we got down the road the volts were looking fine with no drop to we kept going. Gassed up but did not shut off the motor. We hit the coast and the cool cool fog with no problems and the final cruze home. We made it! Only cost $50 for the jump and the electrical test. Miss the blue sky but not the heat. Sure good to be home.
    It was a fast long trip but we had a good time and saw(again for me) some unique and amazing country. The 80 did fantastic and got 13.5 mpg. I love it and I’m getting one. School starts in a couple of weeks for the kid. That kind of marks the end of summer. We get our best weather here after school starts but opportunity will be gone. Oh well, it’s our lot.
    Here’s a couple of pics .
    Entering a lava tube
    [​IMG]
    Looking in with night vision feature on
    [​IMG]
    Inside the tube
    [​IMG]
    Looking down the tube
    [​IMG]
    Looking out the tube
    [​IMG]
    at the Crater Lake campground
    [​IMG]
    Wizard Island at Crater Lake
    [​IMG]
    Sam and I hiking out of the caldera
    [​IMG]
    Try to wip up some more pics later
    Russ :cool:

11. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

all right!
    great places to visit. Did a whole bunch too this past trip!

12. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.