SOLD Las Vegas NV: 1983 BJ/FJ 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(242, 235, 235)
Updated *PRICE: $16,000 (mud price) orig 18k
1983 BJ/FJ60
383,xxx miles.
Link to Google photos album: 1983 BJ 60 for sale
Click for Carfax. VIN:JT3BJ60G9D0011997
IMG_20200806_190421.jpg

Specs
Engine: Toyota 3b - 3.4l IDI Diesel -4Cyl, (installed 4/2020 engine miles unknown - compression #1-395, #2-420, #3-420, #4-420).
Turbo: BorgWarner Airwerks Turbo - S1BG Series (313296)
Bearing Housing Material : Cast Iron. Comp Wheel Inducer (in) : 1.55 (39mm) Comp Wheel OD (in) : 2.08. HP Range: 120-320. Turbine Housing A/R : 0.46 Turbine Wheel Exducer (in): 1.8 (46mm) Turbine Wheel OD (in): 2.08 (53mm), wastegate set at 10PSI. Installed 4/2020
Intercooler: Frozen Boost Type 16 Water -Air Intercooler, with 12V Bosch pump, coolant reservoir, radiator, custom brackets and silicone hoses. Installed 5/2020.
Transmission: Toyota H-55 5-speed manual, and Transfer Case (Rebuilt 11/2012 @ 347k).
Wheels: Pacer by Ultra Wheels - 16 x7 Machined Aluminium -8.00 offset - 6x5.50 bolt pattern.
Tires: Toyo Open Country MTR - 285/75R16 Installed 11/2017 @ 381,500.
Suspension: Springs-Rough Country 2” lift with greasable shackles installed 2007. Shocks- Bilstein 5125 & Old Man Emu steering stabilizer installed 3/2019 @ 382,000.
Drive Line -Differentials: 4.11 front and rear diffs (swapped 2009 from FJ62 - original 3.7’s available), front inner and outer axle seals, and bearings replaced, rear Aussie Locker Installed 6/2009 @ 309K. New front brake calipers from1995 4Runner installed with new 1993 T-100 Master Cylinder and Jegs rear brake force distributor 7/2010 @318K. Replaced: Rear brake pads, axle bearings, wheel cylinders and passenger side rear wheel studs- 11/2012 @ 346K. Front wheel bearings, spindles, seals and rotors 12/2014 @365K. Rear driveshaft U-joints 7/2020 @383K.

Engine Accessories
Glow Plugs: 12v dual element - 01/2013 @348K
Alternator: 80AMP Denso from 80 series -new installed 12/2015 @371K
Starter: Rebuilt w/new bearings and brushes - 2/2013 @349K
Power Steering: Factory pump, and gearbox (leaks), new p/s high pressure hose 3/2020.
A/C: New compressor installed 9/2013 @353K. System flushed and recharged with new drier 6/2020.
Radiator: factory 4 core, cleaned -acid etched, re-braised - 8/2009 @315k.
Fuel Injectors: OEM Rebuilt by J&S Diesel 4/2020 @ 384K
Water Pump: Aisin, New installed 3/2020
Fan Clutch and Thermostat: Aisin/Oem installed 7/2016 @376K

Other Modifications
Custom exhaust 2.5” and Magnaflow muffler, wrapped headers and turbo.
Safari Snorkel
Custom floor mats
Manual Glow-Plug Switch
30K CST silicone Fan Clutch Fluid
Block heater/freeze plug
Headlights: Truck Lite LED 7” Round with custom wiring loom and relay system by Wired Wagon LLC.
Markers/Indicators/Interior Lights: Odd-Iron Offroad full LED conversion.
Gauges: Pyrometer, Engine Coolant, Boost, Oil Pressure
Battery: Odyssey Extreme AGM 65-pc1750. Installed 10/2015 @375K.
Trailer Brake Controller and Harness: Tekonsha 7Pin
Passenger Dash Grab Bar from FJ62
Custom Curtains
Custom cargo platform and foldable camping bed platform.
Front Seats: from Nissan Frontier Pick-up
New front windshield
Dynamat sound insulation throughout interior
New Carpet Kit - 2006

Audio
Head Unit: Alpine CD HD148-BT. CD, Bluetooth, USB port - powering rear speakers.
Subwoofer: Alpine PWE-S8 8” 125W powered compact sub,
Amp: Alpine 50W Amp powering front speakers
Speakers: front- Polk Audio 6” component speakers, rear - 6.5” Sony 2-Way Speakers.

Filters
Air Filter: OEM 3/2019 @383K - p/n 17801-68020
Fuel Filter: Napa Gold 3386 5/2020
Oil Filter: Fleet Guard LF-3487 (the nice ones) 5/2020

The Story:
I found this rig for sale by another ih8mud member in 2008, he had swapped a healthy 3b with 250K ish miles and 5-speed into a rust free FJ-60, lifted it and drove it for a few years before moving up to an 80 series. His reason for selling is much like mine - his wife didn’t get along with it. After deciding to purchase it, I made the flight to Seattle and drove it back to Las Vegas over 3 days, camping and enjoying life - no issues except a swarm of locusts in Idaho. I immediately wanted to extract more power out of the anemic 3b, so I purchased a Denco Turbo Kit which included a Turbo and Wastegate, Exhaust manifold and odds/ends - and oh what a difference. From there I swapped in the 4.11 gears and the Aussie Locker, serviced the front bearings and got it ready to drive to the Candian Rockies for a 6 week summer road-trip. The truck took me there and back - over 10,000 miles! Over the years I have driven this truck to some very beautiful parts of this country, and for a while as a daily driver - it has only gotten better with age and a few fun mods.

I decided to have the engine fully rebuilt in 2013 - and I regret that decision every time I think about it - the builder made mistakes that culminated in engine failure after only 20K miles and a few years. They wouldn't cover their mistake and I ended up having to take care of it myself. I went through one more bad engine before I found a well running but very dirty used engine from a trusted mud member and that is what I have in this truck today. It took me years to get the truck fully up and running - I started a business, got married, bought a house and just didn’t have time to work on it - but was determined to do this myself. And then COVID hit and caused a forced break that left me with the time and energy to tackle this project. Now she’s up and running and I’ve gotten to enjoy taking her to remote and wonderful places again - yay for social distance. The turbo spools up quickly and gets her moving, holds speed on all but the steepest hills - and sounds great too. The mud terrains make off-road a joy, and match well with the Bilsteins for a smooth ride.

Why am I selling after all of this? I decide to do as so many have - move up to a newer less “cool” ride in favor of convenience and comfort (and to please my wife who I mentioned earlier). So the day has come to part ways with my trusty CENTAUR and pass her along to a new home where she can be fully appreciated.

What’s not perfect about this truck?
  • Dents and scratches along the passenger side, tailgate, and rain gutters.
  • Surface rust on the rain gutters and front passenger side door bottom.
  • Leaky steering gearbox, rear main seal, differentials and transmission. It’s old and it leaks a bit.
  • A/C compressor is okay but the system seems to have leaked all the refrigerant.
  • Tires likely need balancing
  • The interior is 37 years old, the seats have wear, the dash has a crack, scuffs etc here and there.
What’s great about this truck?
  • It’s a very rare Turbo Intercooled Diesel with a 5 spd manual - All Toyota with plenty of life left.
  • Lots of updates that make it just a bit more modern, comfy and capable- LED Headlights, markers, signals, reverse lights. Seats, Stereo, A/C, New Shocks and Tires.
  • Virtually no electronics - the aftermarket stereo is the most technologically advanced piece of equipment on board, otherwise it’s basically all mechanical systems that are durable and designed to be rebuilt. Ideal bug out vehicle.
What Comes with the truck?
  • Shop Engine Manual and PDF versions of Chassis/Electric/Engine Manuals
  • Spare filters - Oilx1, Fuelx 1
  • Fluids - 1 gallons of engine oil; Diesel Fuel treatment 1 can.
  • Spare Parts - 4x old fuel injectors, 4x glow plugs, 1 set of old belts, wipers
  • Spare Stock Wheel with 33x10.5x15 BFG MTR
  • Big Stack of maintenance receipts, records etc.

More spares available at discount with purchase - otherwise they go up on the classifieds. Price TBD
  • 2 x fuel injection pump
  • 8 x fuel injectors
  • 2 x intake manifolds
  • 1 stock exhaust manifold
  • 3 x camshafts
  • 1 x oil pan
  • Full set of lifters and pushrods
  • 2 x valve rocker sets
  • 10 Gals Engine Oil
  • 5 Gals gear oil
  • 10x Oil Filters
  • 2x fuel filters
  • 4 stock rims
  • 2 x 3.7 Ratio 3rd members
  • Stock Alternator
  • Pulleys
  • Various seals

Last edited:
Hump Day Bump Day!

Am I way off in pricing here?

pricing seems fair in my opinion,if I was in the market for a diesel I’d definitely make you a offer!
you just have to find that buyer man,the market is up and down lately. itll happen for you.
Thanks! I've had a few inquiries locally, but nothing serious. Just thought I'd ask the community as there is often good advice here.

So much want but the wife wants and automatic. GLWS this should go quick!

So much want but the wife wants and automatic. GLWS this should go quick!
It's the easiest stick in the world to drive. You have to really work to stall it. 😉

Am I way off in pricing here?
seems good to me, this is just a tough time to sell a vehicle with many people still out of work nationally and small businesses struggling. id wait a few months unless you really need the cash now

seems good to me, this is just a tough time to sell a vehicle with many people still out of work nationally and small businesses struggling. id wait a few months unless you really need the cash now
Not in a huge hurry to sell. But wanted to get the ball rolling. I agree that the timing is tricky, but it seemed like there's a lot of people buying right now. The stock market is breaking records, the housing market is booming (here anyways).... It makes no sense.

Bump- added Carfax and VIN.

I would have, about 3 months ago
But I bought one... And the 100 is nice

Extremely beautiful but unfortunate a bit out of my budget at the moment.
How many inches on the sleeping platform? I was wondering if it was possible to sleep in a 60

Extremely beautiful but unfortunate a bit out of my budget at the moment.
How many inches on the sleeping platform? I was wondering if it was possible to sleep in a 60
78" with the seat funded forward. I'm 6'5".

Having spent a lot of money on upgrades on my 80 and then selling it, I think the price is a bit high. People don't value the work you put in, I went through the same thing. IMO if someone buys it they will need to get it painted. If not, all those scratches and grooves will eventually rust. It's an awesome truck though, if the price comes down I would maybe be interested.

Having spent a lot of money on upgrades on my 80 and then selling it, I think the price is a bit high. People don't value the work you put in, I went through the same thing. IMO if someone buys it they will need to get it painted. If not, all those scratches and grooves will eventually rust. It's an awesome truck though, if the price comes down I would maybe be interested.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I get that, it's been a labor of love and there's no way to truly recoup the investment in time and energy.
PM an offer and let's see what we can negotiate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom