Largest tire WITHOUT lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
No lift, what is the largest tire you'd run? Debating a 285/70r17. It's only ~1.5" taller than the 275/70r16s. The size of the 100 simply engulfs those little tires.

IMO, that size would fit fine. I don't think I'd put a larger tire on unless I was planning to lift it soon.

295/75r16 ~= 33.4" D
305/70r16 ~= 32.8" D
285/70r17 ~= 32.7" D

Hmmm......makes me reconsider (again) the 17" wheel option. I so wish there were more /85 series tire options. Perfect for me would be like a 285/85r16 but no, the tire companies think we all want big fat tires (not that 11"+ width for a 285 isn't wide).

3fj40 said:
Perfect for me would be like a 285/85r16 but no, the tire companies think we all want big fat tires (not that 11"+ width for a 285 isn't wide).
That would be a 35" tire. Didn't you just say you wanted it to fit w/o lift?

If you want an MT tire, you can get a BFG MT or Interco TrXus MT in a 255/85/16 (33.3").

Cooper (Discoverer S/T) has a tire in that size as well. I've heard good things about Cooper but no first-hand experience.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry I steered into thinking about my 80 & 40 :doh: ... that didn't follow with my earlier question. Just a comment how I wish for more skinny tire options at reasonable prices.

Nitto terra Grappler a/t 295/75/16 $152 each from discount tire is on my Christmas list

So the consensus is 295/75 R 16 , will work for non-lifted?

How much louder are the BFG AT K/O vs the K/M?

My truck is a DD and I drive on the highway a lot.

It looks like my 285/65R18 would fit with my OME lift

Good luck getting those 295s....they come on the slow boat from China:D

Was looking for a set for my truck and ended up with the 285 instead...they are such a popular size I guess, can't keep them in stock

Tirerack shows them at "low stock." $175 a piece. Better order them before they're gone.

Better get yourself 5 too. Just about everyone can get a 285 for you quick but if you need a replacement 295 you're gonna be waitin.

Quote by stewbo:
How much louder are the BFG AT K/O vs the K/M?

The K/O's are actually quieter than the K/M's. THe K/M's are mud-terrains and the K/O's are All-Terrains.

Yes, by 5-6%. Not really a big deal. Indicated 60mph is actually 63.Xmph.

hoser said:
That would be a 35" tire. Didn't you just say you wanted it to fit w/o lift?

If you want an MT tire, you can get a BFG MT or Interco TrXus MT in a 255/85/16 (33.3").

Cooper (Discoverer S/T) has a tire in that size as well. I've heard good things about Cooper but no first-hand experience.

Eh... i really don't recommend going to a tire width smaller than stock... that being said, i have 255/85's on a trooper and they work well... but I can't see them on a TLC, let alone a 100

What's wrong with a narrower tire than stock? The advantages/disadvantages really depend on the terrain. If I'm driving on snow/ice covered roads all the time, I'll take the 255's. Plus they'll have the added benefit of being quieter and less rolling resistance (better mpg).

Not sure how things go over there, but if you are in an accident and the tyres on your vehicle ar not as wide as stock, that is less tread on the road meaning less stopping power, you may be liable, not only from the other side suing your insurance company, but the other side making a civil case against you personally. just a thought, I really don't want to go down the insurance/litigation path!!

You Austrailians seem even more lawsuit paranoid than those of us in the US. :frown:

Are serious lawsuits taking place there over modified cars ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom