Largest Carbureted Engine that can go into a Fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what is the largest carbureted engine that some have put into a FJ60.

454 more than a few times

Pretty sure 460s have been done in 40s and 55s. A 533 is the same size externally as a 460

Caddy 502s have been put in 40s and 55s

If it will fit in a 40 or 55 it will fit in a 60.

Mark...

Just askin' here... why would you want a ginormous motor vs. say, a built 327 which would give plenty of power and still leave space for goodies ?? Inquiring minds...

Just askin' here... why would you want a ginormous motor vs. say, a built 327 which would give plenty of power and still leave space for goodies ?? Inquiring minds...

There is no replacement for displacement? :princess:

Ok, where's that Dodge V10???

heh

t

My question back to you would be why use a 327 when you can use a 350, 383 or 400 and have no more weight or size and lots more power? ;)

Mark...

My question back to you would be why use a 327 when you can use a 350, 383 or 400 and have no more weight or size and lots more power? ;)

Mark...

Well, I guess I wouldn't use a 327 then... I thought the larger displacement motors were physically larger as well. I'm not too familiar with V8s of any flavor. Even my full size F150 has a V6 in it :doh:

:meh:

The reason I am asking is for the obvious reasons.

I am thinking about getting a FJ60 to have around and after driving a few, my 200 series leaves me itching for more power :)

Although it would not be a everyday freeway driver, I found that after driving a 60 with 3 adults in it, up a slight incline on the freeway, left something to be desired.

So I was wondering what others have one so far :)

If you want it to haul ass and really want a carb put in a 6.0 lq4 or lq9 with a carb intake. An lq9 will leave your 200 series in the dust especially since the 60 weighs over a thousand lbs less than a 200 series. A couple simple mods and its well over 400hp with a carb. I would want fi but a lot of hot rod guys run these motors with a carb because there its cheaper than building a sb or bb by far that would equal that type of power. Wont even be that bad on the wallet. 4-6k depending on what way you go.
If all of that is not enough they make motors up to 700+- cubes that will fit where a big block fits.

Last edited:
A Mercurcruiser which is a 460 I think has been put into some 60 series.

It's now my neighbors and while it is a Mercruiser it's actually a 502 (8.2L), but it's not carbureted. He doesn't drive it much with these gas prices :D

Go with a Rolls Royce Merlin V12. That thing has a huge carburetor.

Dynosoar:zilla:

the only thing that makes any real sense with a carb is a 350 or 383.

If fuel injected I personally would go with a 6.0 engine.

Some people need to overcompensate...

I saw a little 2wd 70s Yota the other day and there was a bumper sticker that said "NICE TRUCK! Sorry about your small penis." :crybaby:

I want one of these 702 c.i. V12's:
twinsix702redsm9sn.jpg

I'll just drive it from the back seat.....

Assuming you want to license it for the street you'd have to pick one that was made after your 60 (EPA reg enforced by the Kalifornia Kops), which narrows the field since EFI hit the scene shortly after most 60s.

Mostly to irritate Nut Squad, here's what you should look into: DOHC Engine - Welcome to SchubeckRacing.com

I went with a box-stock MFI 5.7 Vortec & 4L60E 6 years ago for maintainability & servicability. Nt's going 5.3 as we speak. If I were doing it now the 6.0 with the 6-speed auto would be mighty tempting for towing purposes & all-around ballsyness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom