Largest Carbureted Engine that can go into a Fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok and that is great im all for someone expanding there knowledge. BUT, at the risk of sounding like an ass. Once you have man-a-fre do the swap for you, are you going to want tackle issues that come up?? And in the meantime it be sittin waiting for you to figure any issues out? AND maybe have not gotten the most bang for your buck. TBI is not that complicated... like a carb only better

I don't know if GM used them in any of the trucks or not, but staying with a carb in that age range may not free you of a computer. GM had computer controlled carbs in the cars of about that vintage. I can't recall ever seeing those in trucks, but I won't claim extensive knowledge of that era of trucks either.

The Quadra-Jet 4 bbl carb that will come on the engine of choice is not the easiest carb to tune. It's not exceedingly difficult as carbs go, but it is on the more difficult end of the spectrum. That said, it is the single best choice for an off road carb for an American V8. Buy the book on tuning them.

Don't know if MAF covered it or not, but you are limited to 1/2t trucks and cars as donor candidates. 3/4t trucks, even of the right vintage, are not an emissions legal swap.

If you want to learn basic mechanical engine design & operation, why not buy an old VW or motorcycle? A vintage 1-cyl motorcycle engine, 2 or 4-stroke, is about the same as a lawnmower. OK, why not a lawnmower?

EFI is much more reliable, more economical, more powerful, more maintainable, & more plentiful.

Having said that, my '56 F100 is carbed, as are my 356 Porsches, & my old Husqvarnas. But my '84 60 with the 5.7 Vortec has MPI, as do all my other vehicles.

OK can't keep silent. All these guys are saying go with tbi or some sort of fuel injection because they love you and as cruiser brethren they want you to have more fun with your cruiser. I used to think fuel injection would be a pain after owning carbs but the one truck I had that had tbi 350( 95 chebby with all kinds of mods) had the most easy to deal with fuel system I have ever owned and have owned a few.....anyway I mean no tinkering at altitude, easy to start all the time - hot, at altitude, 30 below 0, ran on side hills and up hills, not flooding doing jumps( that truck took a beat down often)I mean that was really the best running rig I have ever owned. Not saying the best just best running. It was not complicated at all either, a throttle body and a few sensors -so easy. Not even close to all the garb you'll see on mid 80's chevys not even close....... any way either one you chose good luck and have fun!

Plus ever read how many people have a hard time passing emissions with a stock carb on a cruiser multiply that by probably at least 5 if you gotta keep up with all the 86 stuff on a gm product. Just saying.

Assuming you want to license it for the street you'd have to pick one that was made after your 60 (EPA reg enforced by the Kalifornia Kops), which narrows the field since EFI hit the scene shortly after most 60s.

Mostly to irritate Nut Squad, here's what you should look into: DOHC Engine - Welcome to SchubeckRacing.com

I went with a box-stock MFI 5.7 Vortec & 4L60E 6 years ago for maintainability & servicability. Nt's going 5.3 as we speak. If I were doing it now the 6.0 with the 6-speed auto would be mighty tempting for towing purposes & all-around ballsyness.

also a 60 is rated as a light duty vehicle so you have to replace the engine with one out of a light duty vehicle the same year as yours or newer, and have all the smog equipment for that engine, than have it inspected by the dmv

I'd suggest doing what I did- Leave Kalifornia and do whatever you want with whatever you want. I never liked the smog restrictions and the corrupt way it's enforced. A Smog Referee ??! What the **** is that?

Eventually every state will have emissions testing. Hopefully by then these 60's will be too old to be worth the Man bothering with them.

Ah, you're just gonna hurt yourself...
:rolleyes:

lawn_mower.jpg

To the OP. You have a carb on the current engine in the cruiser. You want to learn about carbs and you are not concerned about power. Unless the current motor has serious problems it seems that you have what. Given the limitations of your location I wouldn't change the engine to the emissions carbed 350. My two cents.

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom