Large Sight Single Barrel Carb... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I love the simplicity of these carbs so much, I'm rebuilding another one to be used on my 81 2F. I'm looking into replating this one. Does anyone have experience with this. I can see some of the original finish is the gold rainbow colored zinc. I've already looked into the cheesy rattle can finishes & I hope to get something closer to factory. I've read some horror stories of carbs becoming liquified in the process of home plating. I've had some luck searching the internet, but wanted to know if any of you had something to add.

Also, this is the 3rd carb I've pulled apart that had one of the walls of the main body warped or bowed inward. It's always the side where the sight glass is clamped to. Is this something that happens over time from temperature changes or did some of these come from the factory that way?

Thanks, SDC

Sorry guys... I meant to place this in another area of mud...

the carb is not for sale.

okay, I'm a space... this is the right place.

thought I accidentally had this in the classified section.

Most of them seem to be warped on the front. I haven't figured out why but I used a small block of wood and gently moved it closer to straight. I will be plating mine but not anytime soon.

talk to ground up, he had lots of stuff plated for his 73. he said it wasnt to expensive niether. also i read some thread not to long ago about some one buying a plating kit and plated some stuff their selfs. it turned out preety good. good luck

Personally I don't know why you would restrict the engine with this 1 Barrell. I've found the 2 barrell to aisin to be very good with the 2f motor esp with no smog controls on it and still very simple.

Not looking for any performance mods...

I'm not knocking the 2 barrel carbs. I've tinkered around with them. I like the single barrel carbs & I want to experience tinkering with them for a while. That's all. I also have older aprons with the older emblems on my 81. I like the look of them. One could argue, the newer emblems will not rust & are lighter, but I think with all cruisers... part of the fun for me is configuring them in various factory parts spanning the different years.

Just a few picts of the main body w/ warped side

Since it's very cold out right now. I'm spending some of my time indoors working on the smaller projects. Here's a couple pictures of the main body. As for the sight glass... someone else already made the mistake of dipping it before I got my hands on the carb. Oh well :(

Last edited:
SuperDuperCruizer said:
Also, this is the 3rd carb I've pulled apart that had one of the walls of the main body warped or bowed inward. It's always the side where the sight glass is clamped to.

They all seem to be that way. Jim C was telling me that the casting is plastic (not plastic, the material but the behavior) so it will creep over time (hope I got that right). Anyhow, I gently tap it on an oak or aluminum block to get it flat again...........but the next time you take it apart it's right back the way it was.

What kit are you using?

I'm using the keyster repair kit # K11-4020A

Keyster is the only kit I've managed to find for this carb. Here's what the box reads:

Application Car Model
TOYOTA FJ40, 43
(F) 1966/08-

Originial Kit No.
04211-60086

Carburetor No.
21100-60086

Is there a better one out there I don't know about?

Originial Kit No.
04211-60086

is still available at the dealer...

I have a carb and the oem kit on the kitchen table ready to rebuild....

Last edited:
Yep, the original like Wes said. Either way I think you're out of luck for the metering rod (21495-60030) and metering rod jet (21256-60010).

The float is 21209-60010 and still available.

Last edited:
Cruiser_Nerd said:
Yep, the original like Wes said. Either way I think you're out of luck for the metering rod (21495-60030) and metering rod jet (21256-60010).

The float is 21209-60010 and still available.
Just picked up an OEM kit from JimC and I think it included the new jets but no metering rod... Unless he unknowingly added extra parts to the kit before I bought it from him.

Nick

I sent out a carb to Jim C. It was the worst he had ever seen. Looking great now on the beadblasted and painted intake. I think that the original color of the intake was black, but this looks so much better,

DSC00047_sm.JPG

DSC00052_sm.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. That looks nice...

I see your sight glass is blue, but I don't see the aisan logo? Is the logo/blue background a decal? All the single barrels I've owned, had the sight glass stripped. So, I never realized these things were supposed to be blue or have any sort of trademark on them till I saw Wesintl avitar.

Okay, after looking closer...

I can see the logo. I want it. I want it. Also, I didn't realize the older exhaust manifold had a heat flap like the newer ones do. The bead blasting makes the manifold looks like it was ceramic coated. You could always use the high temp manifold paint from Eastwood if you wanted it black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom