Large pattern knuckles on older axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I swap in some larger knuckles on to an older axle without problems? I have some larger pattern knuckles sittin around and was curious if I could swap them in on the older axles I have without too many problems? The older axles (from a 72) under the vehicle have fine spline birfs and aisin hubs. I appreciate the input.

Thanks for the help,
Alex

Last edited:
Yes, they will work fine.

Great.. Thank you poser.

just be sure to check the taper for the tie rod end on the steering arms. minis and cruisers had the same knuckles, but iirc, different tapers for the tre.

mini = 60 taper

Awesome.. Will do. Appreciate the input guys

are you doing a disc brake conversion?

if so, you'll need a knuckle kit, the donor knuckles and some TRE shims i usually stock them, they can be bought from sor. there's another alyternative as well; sor sells some "joint fuji" brand steering arms that have the larger top pattern but the smaller taper for the 40 series TREs. these are not cheap though; i think they're about $100-125 each. :eek:

if you do a disc brake swap, then you'll need to grinf the inside of the knuckle ball to create enough clerance for the slightly larger birfs. not a big deal, plenty of info on the subject in the tech links on here.

post up if you have more questions, lots of mudders have done the conversion and it's not a difficult job.

georg @ valley hybrids

Ditto on Georg"s question---"Are you doing a disc brake conversion?" If so you will need quite a few more parts, spindles, birfield, bearing hub assy, locking hub assy, brake rotors, backing plates, calipers, brake lines, knuckle kit, brake master cylinder, And possibly rear brakes also. Keep asking questions. John

are you doing a disc brake conversion?

if so, you'll need a knuckle kit, the donor knuckles and some TRE shims i usually stock them, they can be bought from sor. there's another alyternative as well; sor sells some "joint fuji" brand steering arms that have the larger top pattern but the smaller taper for the 40 series TREs. these are not cheap though; i think they're about $100-125 each. :eek:

if you do a disc brake swap, then you'll need to grinf the inside of the knuckle ball to create enough clerance for the slightly larger birfs. not a big deal, plenty of info on the subject in the tech links on here.

post up if you have more questions, lots of mudders have done the conversion and it's not a difficult job.

georg @ valley hybrids

Ditto on Georg"s question---"Are you doing a disc brake conversion?" If so you will need quite a few more parts, spindles, birfield, bearing hub assy, locking hub assy, brake rotors, backing plates, calipers, brake lines, knuckle kit, brake master cylinder, And possibly rear brakes also. Keep asking questions. John

I guess I was under the impression that you could not use fine spline birfs and aisin lockouts and have USA drum brakes. The only way I know you could have that combination would be a non-USA drum brake front axle.

The older axles (from a 72) under the vehicle have fine spline birfs and aisin hubs.

:meh:

I have the conversion.. You're assumption was correct poser.. Just about everything I need I've got here to do it! Even the 4x4 labs histeer setup! :bounce: What knuckle rebuild kit would you recommend? Marlin? JTO? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
There was no assumptions...just pointing out what you had posted and was hoping for some clarification from someone on the topic.

Give Georg Orange45 a call.

If he cannot help you, give Marlin a shout.

I am out of them right now...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom