Large cables through firewall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I have to run 3-4 good sized cables with bulky connectors through the firewall. I know about the extra nipples on the big stock firewall grommets on passenger and driver sides, and am already using the driver side for lights and things. But they aren't big enough for these cables. There is a plugged hole on the passenger side offset above the engine, but also not big enough for all of the cables.

As much as I love an opportunity to use my chassis punches I'd like to not cut a new whole. Or run each wire through a different route. Has anyone found a larger stock hole in the firewall?

What all cables are you running? All power??

If these are coming from tne engine bay and going to the cargo area there is a alternate route.

Run under the body to the grommet hole behind the second row of seats; in the cargo are where the 3rd row passenger feet go. No drilling.

Awesome! Yes, they all from the engine bay. Actually, the grill. Will crawl under and find that grommet this weekend.

They are for an ALP install.

Is this for beeping when you are near things or for avoiding speed traps?

Both.

Nice, although I'm having trouble envisioning speeding in a 200. I couldn't afford the gas to drive 80mph.

Looks like near the same price as a defuser?

I ran two 2awg wires to the cargo area using the grommet behind the rear bumper. Posts 28 and 29 in this post show the details.

Possible, but that would be my last resort. These aren't cables for power, they are for sensitive electrical signals. I am tooled to do mil-spec level crimping (primarily use solid contact Deutsch with a DMC crimper) so I have reasonable confidence in putting a bulkhead connector and maintaining signal correctness. However, I'd rather avoid it if possible because they are thick, almost potted, which leads me to believe they are shielded from other electrical noise in the engine compartment. Plus, just to get all of the wires through (or to install a bulkhead), I'd still need to cut the firewall.

Possible, but that would be my last resort. These aren't cables for power, they are for sensitive electrical signals. I am tooled to do mil-spec level crimping (primarily use solid contact Deutsch with a DMC crimper) so I have reasonable confidence in putting a bulkhead connector and maintaining signal correctness. However, I'd rather avoid it if possible because they are thick, almost potted, which leads me to believe they are shielded from other electrical noise in the engine compartment. Plus, just to get all of the wires through (or to install a bulkhead), I'd still need to cut the firewall.
Are these any data cables(?) bc if not I wouldn’t care that much about elec noises.
And in time and work I‘d say.. cutting cables and crimp them new < cutting anything at the firewall…

Can you snap a shot when you find the grommet?

Well, I spent 20 min and couldn't find it :hillbilly: @Fisher23 do you have a pointer to where this is? From some reference point like the t-case, cats, etc.? Or how big it is?

Edit: I think I found it. Pic below.

That said I'm thinking I may go all the way to the rear like @sdnative did with his power cables. It would be nice to mount the control box in the passenger side hatch in the rear. That's where I have my cell booster amplifier.

Edit: Can't do the rear. The cable from the control box to the control pad isn't long enough.

Last edited:
Are these any data cables(?) bc if not I wouldn’t care that much about elec noises.
And in time and work I‘d say.. cutting cables and crimp them new < cutting anything at the firewall…

Very, very unlikely that I will cut the firewall or the cables. There are enough grommets under the truck that something should work.

This? About inline with the C pillar on the driver's side?

IMG_0329.jpg

Awesome! Yes, they all from the engine bay. Actually, the grill. Will crawl under and find that grommet this weekend.

They are for an ALP install.
I have found that the best way to punch cables though is to use rope splicing tools, open fids are offered in various diameters. Purchase a set or one specific to your largest cable (or connector in your case) and then lube it up with silicone spray, punch through the grommet, feed cable through stainless steel shaft, then extract fid.

spl231-500.gif

Selma Splicing Fids (set of 5)
close

I find it interesting how the ALP is now marketed as "parking sensors" to get around the legal issues of selling laser deception and jamming devices.

Last edited:
I think there is a grommet that comes up under the second row step (plastic plate inside the cab next to the seat). But you would have a fairly sharp bend to get the step back on.

Great, I will pull that step and take a look see. I'm thinking I will mount the control box under the driver seat where others have put amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom