Laptop holder/stand/cradle ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overland-cruisers.co.uk
Hi All,

I want to make up a cradle to put my laptop on so that it can be seen by either the driver or passenger or both at the same time, however the crucial thing is that I don't want to start drilling massive holes in the dash to support it because this is only a temporary measure - am ultimately aiming to upgrade the 80 and the laptop.

One train of thought is to get a wall mount bracket for a portable tv and rather than mount it on the dash, fab some supporting brackets to go up over the dash and hook into the air vents below the screen.

Another thought was just to strap a platform onto the passenger side grab handle.

Has anyone here done something similar?

Search...there are many people with a laptop set up. Many have bought theirs and many have made their own.

This is a wall speaker mount made by Omnimount, it worked great and is very study (even with Boggers)...
TLC_35.jpg

TLC_36.jpg

jvoelcker said:
OK, done a search and seen some of the great ideas, but many of them are permanent.

Has anyone here considered a clip on solution that can be easliy removed and doesn't involve any drilling.
Mine can be removed with one allen bolt seen in the second picture, takes about 15 seconds. I used the two rear shifter bolts to mount it and only had to cut a small notch in the side of the console at the carpet.

Looking at my 80 I am thinking of putting together a frame running from the two bolts on either side of the transmission tunnel supporting the dash running back and over the shifter leaver back down to a line just in front of the handbrake, perhaps to a single support off centre to provide easy access to the gears.

This would then support the laptop centrally so that the driver and passenger can use it and high enough above the shifter that I can use it without hinderance.

All I have to do is just unbolt it to remove it.

Try doing a search on laptop and Jotto Desk and you should see some other ideas. Mine is mounted to the seat bracket bolts on the pass side (U.S.) and is very stout.

Good luck.

Ali

Laptom mount

beaufort-fj60 said:
a company named RAM, makes some sweet ones

http://www.ram-mount.com/

this was mentioned earlier and is what I have in my 80, get the universal kit with two swing arms.

just unbold the 4 passenger seat bolts, add the clip, attach the aluminium rods and you are done.

No drilling, not permanent, VERY sturdy. THey make the same mount for airplanes.

Herman

yes, driver, co pilot, and kids in back can watch videos together or seperately

The Jotto has an amazing range of movement .. both micro adjustments, and also for moving it around by a foot or more. I keep mine permanently mounted, and have friends up front all the time without complaints....it ends up hovering just over their left thigh. If I had someone shotgun navigating I'd move it for them, but for now I leave it be .. the way it is, I still have complete access to my cd player, cup holder, armrest, and a solid view of my passenger side rear view mirror. That may all seem natural .. but until you build/buy your own particular setup, you'll see how a lot of initial tweaking may be necessary to get things just right.

Good luck,

TY

I have used the Jotto system for many years in my line of work. They are proven and I would also suggest using them. Do a search on Ebay for Jotto and keep an eye out.

Also, check your local gov't surplus places or police departments and see if they have old models laying around.

I just picked up this one for less than $40.

Now if I can find someone to sell me their laptop.
Ebay102305.jpg

Okay, you all inspired me to mount my Laptop mount tonight.

Here are the pics:

BTW, I still need a laptop (the one pictured is my wifes) if anyone has one for sale, give me a jingle!

-Johnny

LTweb1.jpg

LTweb2.jpg

LTweb3.jpg

LTweb4.jpg

My, there're lots of stuff on that side of the vehicle :D

The Jotto desk looks great. I hope you used a backing plate on the other side of the tranny hump and good hardware. The self tapping screw that come with this item is a joke and over time, everything will wobble!

Ali

No, there is a lot of stuff in my police car. Not my Land Cruiser. The mount is fastened with six screws. I used different screws.

:beer:

Well you could go really low tech. When I travel alone, I use a 12x18 1/4" plexiglass plate strapped to the passenger seat. I use industrial velcro to keep the laptop on the plexiglass. Other wise I let the passenger hold it.

I am waiting for a better 'carputer' system before I actually build something. I want a touch screen that is between 7" and 12". I want to run the computer under the seat or some place hidden. That way things don't look so clutter.

Ross

WildYoats said:
No, there is a lot of stuff in my police car. Not my Land Cruiser. The mount is fastened with six screws. I used different screws.

:beer:

Looks great!

Yeah, the screws we got with that product sucked eh? I went out and bought some fatter SS hardware. Been in since spring, and is still solid as a rock.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom