1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop and projector: how to make laptop screen same as projector

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by slickrock, Aug 17, 2006.

1. slickrock

slickrock

Media:
    Albums:
    Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
    I have a problem. My laptop must at times be hooked to a projector and I can only make it work by using the projector as a second monitor (image is off the screen of the laptop display and the projector has a seperate image [monitor 1 is the display while monitor 2 is the projector]). How can I set it up to have the display and projector show the same image instead of splitting between monitor 1 and 2? It is a Dell using windows XP. Thanks.

2. cruiserman

cruiserman

3. 95eighty

95eighty

Usually you can press the Function key(Fn) and then press one of the Numbered F keys at the top of your key board.Happens to be F7 on mine.There is multiple choices as you press the key.

4. 95eighty

95eighty

Girlfriends Dell uses the F8 key.

5. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Make sure to have the projector hooked up to the computer BEFORE you turn your computer on. I have delt with this issue MANY times. Some computer, though I have no idea why, fail to show both the projector and the computer screen at the same time (can only do one or the other) if projector is hooked up after computer is on.

6. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    Should be the blue "fn" key and F8 for business Dells, ie. inspiron/latitudes Might also say crt/lcd on the key as well. Shouldn't matter if it's plugged in before you boot up or not, it might on the older laptops.

it should go through 3 modes. laptop display, external montior, then both...

now what it sounds like it going on, is you might have extended desktops on which allows you to span your desktop across two monitors...move your mouse all the way to the side if both monitors are on, if it jumps to the other screen you'll have to go in and change the properties of that 2nd monitor. There will be a check button that says "extend my desktop" or something along that line...uncheck that and you should be golden....unless you have a higher end ATI driver which then that option is somewhere within all the junk they put in the monitor/video adapter pages.

Let me know if you need anymore help...

I'm a network admin for a construction company...btw...I'm used to all this fun stuff!!! :D

7. slickrock

slickrock

Media:
    Albums:
    Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C

That worked like a charm. thank you

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">