Lap Belt Mounting Hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
Scoured through 4 pages of search results and didn't find an answer. I am preparing to install factory seat belts (front & jump) into my '69 and '71. The hardware in both trucks is not original, and while I'm not looking for perfect OE hardware, I'd like to get the details correct. I understand the threads for seat belt mounting are 7/16" fine threads. What I cannot find any info on, is if the proper seat belt mounting hardware requires stepped washers that allow the terminating end of the belt to rotate after the bolt is tight. The theory here would be that you can tighten the bolt and stepped washer, and the washer allows the belt to still rotate freely around the bolt in accordance to the direction of force applied to the belt. Here is a photo from one thread that shows the stepped washer, but there was zero input on what the actual correct hardware is. Again, mounting lap belts up front and jump belts in back.

image.jpg

My 70 and 71 did not have stepped washers, they were bolted tight in a fixed position. I don’t think the hole was big enough for a stepped washer either: old lift paddle style in both.

My 70 and 71 did not have stepped washers, they were bolted tight in a fixed position. I don’t think the hole was big enough for a stepped washer either: old lift paddle style in both.
Gracias Amigo.

I don't see what would be the point of being able to swivel for any other mounting points than the top one for a 3-points belts ?
You're probably right, it would likely a useless feature.

You're probably right, it would likely a useless feature.

ok :

- TOYOTA seat Belts Mounting hardware is a UNIQUE to its own thread pitch and ddiamiter NOT shared on any other applicxastions

- why ?

- so nobody substitutes it for getto home depot grade 3 or less and then a accident and someone dies ........

- or gets hurt badly

- OEM seat belts bolts are like GRADE JIS 11 and greater , Much stronger then say ROLL BAR bolts

- that's the skinny 411

- its a solid long term plan since day 1 toyota has never devoted from

- u cannot purchase stand alone seatbelts mounting hardware only comes with a NEW belt assy

Scoured through 4 pages of search results and didn't find an answer. I am preparing to install factory seat belts (front & jump) into my '69 and '71. The hardware in both trucks is not original, and while I'm not looking for perfect OE hardware, I'd like to get the details correct. I understand the threads for seat belt mounting are 7/16" fine threads. What I cannot find any info on, is if the proper seat belt mounting hardware requires stepped washers that allow the terminating end of the belt to rotate after the bolt is tight. The theory here would be that you can tighten the bolt and stepped washer, and the washer allows the belt to still rotate freely around the bolt in accordance to the direction of force applied to the belt. Here is a photo from one thread that shows the stepped washer, but there was zero input on what the actual correct hardware is. Again, mounting lap belts up front and jump belts in back.

View attachment 2978345

stepped washer is for a 3 point roll bar equipped set up so it can swivel

I just reinstalled the lap belts in my 73 FJ40.

I have the original bolts. They look identical to the ones pictured above.

The bolts are M11 x 1.25 pitch. This is within class 2 thread tolerance for UNF 7/16 x 20.

The 73 has retractable lap belts. Both the buckle side and retract side have tangs on their base plates that fit into holes on the seat frame to prevent the plates from rotating. This feature is likely to avoid a moving plate from loosening the bolt.

- why ?

- so nobody substitutes it for getto home depot grade 3 or less and then a accident and someone dies ........

- or gets hurt badly
What's a Grade 3 bolt?

What's a Grade 3 bolt? Is that a metric grading?
US bolt grade 3 is a not commonly available grade of US bolt. Common grades available in stock are 2 (no head markings) 5 (3 radial lines) and 8 (6 radial lines).

Like Toyota bolt grades (4, 5, 6, 7, 8?) provided a range of fastener selections, current commonly available metric fasteners boil down to 8.8, 10.9 and 12.9.

ok :

- TOYOTA seat Belts Mounting hardware is a UNIQUE to its own thread pitch and ddiamiter NOT shared on any other applicxastions

- why ?

- or gets hurt badly

- OEM seat belts bolts are like GRADE JIS 11 and greater , Much stronger then say ROLL BAR bolts

- that's the skinny 411

- its a solid long term plan since day 1 toyota has never devoted from

- u cannot purchase stand alone seatbelts mounting hardware only comes with a NEW belt assy
Seatbelt bolts are 7/16 UNF thread. This was made standard across all makes a long time ago. It’s not unique to Toyota.

US bolt grade 3 is a not commonly available grade of US bolt. Common grades available in stock are 2 (no head markings) 5 (3 radial lines) and 8 (6 radial lines).

Like Toyota bolt grades (4, 5, 6, 7, 8?) provided a range of fastener selections, current commonly available metric fasteners boil down to 8.8, 10.9 and 12.9.
ASTM A194 Grade 3 is a standard material specification for high tensile nuts and other internally threaded fasteners, made from ferritic stainless steel grade AISI 501. Grade 3 nuts can be produced by means of hot forging, cold forging or machining from bar stock (Grade Type AISI 501) followed by heat treatment.

I Don,t speak SAE or UNF 7/16

I was simply speaking from a toyota only JiS / metric viewpoint

Asked and Answered:
ASTM A194 Grade 3 is a standard material specification for high tensile nuts and other internally threaded fasteners, made from ferritic stainless steel grade AISI 501. Grade 3 nuts can be produced by means of hot forging, cold forging or machining from bar stock (Grade Type AISI 501) followed by heat treatment.

I’m running a 3 point belt in mine and would like to know were this bolt attaches at. I also have to install the receivers.

A2321017-8AF9-4E32-8469-567B04C4AED1.jpeg

BE9AEF37-D394-4883-9E88-C1987AA8B865.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom