Landtank MAF + 97RON fuel = Oh, What Joy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyo Boyo

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

So I've been running Super Unleaded for the last few weeks (its 97RON) and couldn't believe how much better the truck was running with it. Not just more power, but noticeably quieter. Even the :princess: noticed and I hadn't told her I was using it. Too early to say if milage is improved, I'm watching it.

By the way, unleaded is US$5.80 A GALLON (UK gallon???). Super unleaded is $6.10.

Two days ago I fitted Landtanks MAF (A THING OF BEAUTY). I've done about 150 miles since.

All the stuff that's been said before - car feels lighter; response better; holds top gear longer etc etc - yes, yes and yes again.

But combined with the higher octane fuel - oh sweet Jesus - I am very impressed.

I've done this mod to get ready for my turbo build but the difference this has made has got me questioning it. And I've got just about every component for the build waiting in the spare room lol.

Just thought I'd share............

:cheers: I think I'm off to the pub for a celebratory pint of Leffe

It should be noted for those you may not be aware that the octane ratings in Europe are significantly different from the US ones, of course. Something like 5 pts higher IIRC. So 97 RON may be about 91/93 US octane? It's not race fuel.

$6/UK gal is not that bad for Europe.
1 US gallon is 0.83 UK gallon (from random web site).
Isn't that much cheaper than continental Europe?

Last edited:
Interesting, haven't installed my LT MAF yet - need to find a sensor first - as I'm deciding which car to stick it in, but you're tempting me to get a move on.... be interested in mpg improvements...

BTW 97pence per litre = around $6.30 per Uk gallon, so around $5.20 per US gallon. UK fuel prices are much the same as rest of Europe - i.e. v. expensive. Maybe it seems less so 'cos £ has just crashed against $

Last edited:
It should be noted for those you may not be aware that the octane ratings in Europe are significantly different from the US ones, of course. Something like 5 pts higher IIRC. So 97 RON may be about 91/93 US octane? It's not race fuel.

Well, I never knew that!

Here's an article confirming those exact figures

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just fitted mine, no chance to drive yet, need to sort my wheel bearing out first thing in the morning... after that little job I'll advance the timing a couple of degrees, and see how it goes with '98'.

Did you use decent branded or cheap supermarket BTW ?
Any thoughts on MPG yet ?

Pretty obvious to see how much clearer the intake is with the new MAF sensor, really curious to see what a difference it'll make..

Why are you advancing the timing too? I'd leave that totally alone especially with the variability of fuel quality from your area. Just my humble opinion but I hope it helps. :cheers:

Why are you advancing the timing too? I'd leave that totally alone especially with the variability of fuel quality from your area. Just my humble opinion but I hope it helps. :cheers:

THis is for the UK car... (hmm, your comment about variable fuel quality may still stand)

It's a mod documented on the lcool site, apparently commonplace is Oz. Not much, from around 4 deg to around 7 deg, but apparently it's worthwhile... I figured if it is worthwhile, the time to test would be with higher octance gas.

Here's the link: Ignition timing for the 4500cc petrol motor

That article is somewhat wrong. According to Toyota's early documents on the 1FZ, you should see a slight gains with the 1FZ and higher octane fuel with a stock engine and timing set to stock spec. Advancing the ignition and tricking the computer is not necessesary as the computer will actually advance the ignition over a wider range and relies more on othe duel knock sensor system more than other engines of the same time period.

What could be happening by advancing the timing manually is that the response could be slightly quicker as the timing is already base set higher than stock, but I personally wouldn't mess with it. Especially with the risk associated with detonation on these engines.

Interesting Brian, I'm not in a position to argue either way..

I did however advance the timing on my LPG car (LPG is around 103 octane IIRC?) as this is generally recomended for LPG conversions -and it certainly idles much smoother at this setting.

Rgds - JB

Well, I've not touched the timing yet, but first test drive with the new MAF housing/sensor (and UK 98 RON fuel) and there's definately a lot more oomph around from ~2000 rpm (2750 rpm is about as far as I go), very noticable, should really help with hills on the motorway... :)

Well chuffed as I really only bought this to help with altitude when I ship the car to Zambia - might have to get another now :rolleyes: :D JB

No alterations will be made to the timing, I'll let the ECU sort things out.

I am using Esso Super Unleaded, although last week I tried Tesco 99 RON. No noticable difference.

Fuel economy is definatle WORSE since I put Landtanks MAF on.

But that is because there is so much extra OOMPH I keep screwing the balls off it - best mod ever lol.

I must calm down and drive this thing more sedately (yeah, right...............)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom