Landcruiser Weight + minimum size Axle Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a rough estimate of the weight of a landcruiser in KG, and could tell me the minimum size axle stand I would need to buy to do wheel bearings.

I will probably buy 4. Cheers

PS. What are the best brands, or what are the brands/styles to stay away from.

Stock weight should be around 5400 lbs, and I’d say you want 6 ton stands, frankly for the height more than for the weight capacity. I have a pair of 4 tons that I use occasionally, and they’re pretty much maxed out if I have to support at the body to do suspension work. Avoid harbor freight...

Don't forget gear, etc. Last weighed I was at around 6700.

I use 6 ton stands (3 tons per individual stand).

For who to avoid? Harbor freight is probably a good place to start. They have had a slew of recent recalls and many folks here haven't used them for years due to concerns over quality.

My 6 ton stands have a safety pin on them, I would highly recommend it as it doubles up the teeth on the loading arm. The brand is pro-lift. I looked them over and found the weld quality to be acceptable (I chipped off some paint to check some bubbles I saw). I looked at a set of Hein - Werners that looked pretty nice.

In terms of brands, I wouldn't point to one or the other, but would say that if it looks quality, it probably is. There is definitely a reason to spend some money on them.

You can also build some safety Jack's with blocks of wood stacked and screwed. Then drop an extra piece or two on top to get close to the frame. If a quick repair or Trailside, I slide my tires/wheels under the frame as a measure of safety.

If I have my wheels off and am pulling and pushing on stuff while under the vehicle I like a lot of redundancy, but that's just me.

Stock weight should be around 5400 lbs, and I’d say you want 6 ton stands, frankly for the height more than for the weight capacity. I have a pair of 4 tons that I use occasionally, and they’re pretty much maxed out if I have to support at the body to do suspension work. Avoid harbor freight...
This... Really the older 4tons that I have to almost completely extend to reach the frame rails with my 1.5" lift. The 6tons have more than enough room (even though they are cheapo HF non-recalls). Actually I need to get an extension for the head of my jack so that I can properly reach as my 3ton jack really it just about maxed out when lifting the wheels just off the ground. For now I am using a piece of 4x4 as a spacer but will eventually have to get one of the Eagle Pro jacks.

Yep, didn't mention this but Greg covered it.

You really want oversized Jack stands for not only the buffer on the weight rating but also for the stability of the wider base and to not have the support arm fully extended.

With how high we have to lift an LC to get the wheels off the ground for work like rear spring swaps, you want as much reach as possible, without maxing out like being the guy standing on the last rung of a ladder.

Don't forget gear, etc. Last weighed I was at around 6700.

I use 6 ton stands (3 tons per individual stand).

For who to avoid? Harbor freight is probably a good place to start. They have had a slew of recent recalls and many folks here haven't used them for years due to concerns over quality.

My 6 ton stands have a safety pin on them, I would highly recommend it as it doubles up the teeth on the loading arm. The brand is pro-lift. I looked them over and found the weld quality to be acceptable (I chipped off some paint to check some bubbles I saw). I looked at a set of Hein - Werners that looked pretty nice.

In terms of brands, I wouldn't point to one or the other, but would say that if it looks quality, it probably is. There is definitely a reason to spend some money on them.

You can also build some safety Jack's with blocks of wood stacked and screwed. Then drop an extra piece or two on top to get close to the frame. If a quick repair or Trailside, I slide my tires/wheels under the frame as a measure of safety.

If I have my wheels off and am pulling and pushing on stuff while under the vehicle I like a lot of redundancy, but that's just me.
This information is really helpful cheers. 6TON, wow. Probably the top end of jacks but sounds like its warrented for the weight of the vehicle. I'm in Australia, brands are usually connected in some way or another so I will just compare the quality. Obviously could be good to stay away from store brands. Might go with Kingchrome (high quality) or ToolPro.

This... Really the older 4tons that I have to almost completely extend to reach the frame rails with my 1.5" lift. The 6tons have more than enough room (even though they are cheapo HF non-recalls). Actually I need to get an extension for the head of my jack so that I can properly reach as my 3ton jack really it just about maxed out when lifting the wheels just off the ground. For now I am using a piece of 4x4 as a spacer but will eventually have to get one of the Eagle Pro jacks.
Another who says these 3-4 TON stands are maxed out. How does the car managed to stay balanced with 4xjacks and all the wheels off, is it safe ?

Another who says these 3-4 TON stands are maxed out. How does the car managed to stay balanced with 4xjacks and all the wheels off, is it safe ?

Safe? Probably, but having jacks at full extension is not ideal. The pro lifts gungriffin posted look great, I'd go with those( might actually pick up some now myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom