Landcruiser Restorations Kansas, Venezuelan Import Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering buying a 1986 FJ62 from Landcruiser Restorations out of Belle Plaine, Kansas and need a little advice:

1) Has anyone heard of Landcruiser Restorations? Do they have a good reputation?

2) Someone cautioned me to stay away from South American imported FJs because it is hard to tell who owned it and how they took care of the vehicle. When I asked the owner of the company, he said the vehicle did not have a VIN, so how do I know what the heck I am getting into. Is there any way to tell if this truck is in good shape other than going to the shop and driving it myself? Should I set up a pre-purchase inspection, or will that not catch everything that could be wrong with the truck?

Thanks for your help!

If someone wants to sell you a vehicle without a VIN (or a handgun without a serial number), it's probably in your best interest to walk, no run, away.

Unless maybe if you wanted it for parts or had a surefire way to make sure what you were doing would not be viewed as sub-legal when the man caught up to you.

All Toyota vehicles have VIN numbers and titles.

As far as I know, it is not legal to sell a vehicle without a VIN. You will need one to register it. I smell greenbacks roasting on a fire...

Also SA trucks have a reputation for being honey traps sold to N American buyers.

I am considering buying a 1986 FJ62 from Landcruiser Restorations out of Belle Plaine, Kansas and need a little advice:

1) Has anyone heard of Landcruiser Restorations? Do they have a good reputation?

2) Someone cautioned me to stay away from South American imported FJs because it is hard to tell who owned it and how they took care of the vehicle. When I asked the owner of the company, he said the vehicle did not have a VIN, so how do I know what the heck I am getting into. Is there any way to tell if this truck is in good shape other than going to the shop and driving it myself? Should I set up a pre-purchase inspection, or will that not catch everything that could be wrong with the truck?

Thanks for your help!
Looks like I’m headed to Bell Plain!

just say you don’t want at it, I’ll gladly deal with no vin cruisers

Is it possible he said a non-US VIN instead of a "no VIN?" Truck should have several markers on it indicating VIN number. Best thing to do it drive there meet him, inspect his shop and have him educate you about the process. If you do not come away with an hour's worth of his time, photos, and some good information of how the import sale will work in Kansas, then run away. Let us know how it goes.

^ this.

Thank you guys so much for all the info, I really appreciate it. I ended up not being able to buy the cruiser because it has no smog equipment!

There will be a VIN stamped on the frame, just aft of the right front axle bump stop. MY JDM Cruiser doesn't have a 'VIN plate' riveted to the body on the windshield valence like US models do. It's title matches the frame.

For the rest about how it might have been treated - physical condition with tell you a lot. Value is mostly about rust and body work. Mechanical systems are less labor intensive to repair and the parts availability is not too bad.

Thanks for your help!

The real question is how the heck did they import a Cruiser with no vin!!??

Run away fast!!

Cheers

Thank you guys so much for all the info, I really appreciate it. I ended up not being able to buy the cruiser because it has no smog equipment!
Man that sucks.... that’s all the stuff you don’t want.

Did it end up having vin badges after all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom