toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is Toyota downplaying this recall? There are over 80,000 vehicles affected here and they are still selling them. It's the passenger airbag sensor the when it breaks will not deploy the passenger airbag. In December 2018 notifications were sent out to owners about the defect. I also found letters sent to the dealers to stop selling the vehicles yet I still see lots of vehicles for sale. Bottom line is the situation is not safe for your passenger. My dealer in bold told me to surrender the vehicle and drove it to my house where it has been parked for months. I want to make sure people here are aware of this. Toyota provided a loaner vehicle and parked my 2017 at my house only after I pushed the issue. They are trying to skirt this problem, but if your vehicle does not have the ability to deploy the airbag during a crash it's NOT SAFE!! DOT requires all cars to have operable airbags. For seven months this is going on. Your warranty is burning off, you get to make payments, insurance, registration etc., and have the opportunity to drive a base model highlander for the price of a Landcruiser. Go Toyota. My buddy is in the same predicament and they told him the car is "safe." I said to him then why is your wife driving a loaner vehicle for the past seven months. I have been an owner of more than 15 Toyotas predominantly Land cruisers over the span of 30 years. I am shocked how they are handling this. I asked them to fix the car or take it back. Not only was the Case Manager rude yesterday, but she also was condescending. Am I being impatient? What a treat. I'm sorry but at what point does the consumer get to push back. What a joke. Look at the third letter sent to the dealers that I have attached.

Attachments

• RCAK-18V887-9508.pdf
    240.5 KB · Views: 110
  • RCLRPT-18V887-7496.PDF
    209.2 KB · Views: 85
  • RCMN-18V887-5488.pdf
    419 KB · Views: 123
You need to send letters to Toyota, not the dealer. The dealer doesn’t have the parts so they can’t perform the repair.

Toyota did let people know about this in the midwest...and many cars on lots were NOT available to be sold. Not sure where you are but I've got a '19 and have not received any notification on this and bought it AFTER I was told there was an issue and that it had been dealt with.

I'm not trying to argue but I don't get how Toyota is downplaying an issue when it's been announced? Your situation seems strange to me...not saying it's not happening but very odd.

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

I thought the issue was that the (airbag ready) lamp would sometimes not ignite when someone was in fact sitting in the front passenger seat, but that the bag was still active.

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

I thought the issue was that the (airbag ready) lamp would sometimes not ignite when someone was in fact sitting in the front passenger seat, but that the bag was still active.
No, there is more to it than that. Here’s one of many threads that include the notices and explanations from Toyota. Just yesterday, once again my dealer told me they had no idea when parts would be available.

They were allowed to sell new cruisers after the recall because a procedure has been developed to fix the problem on them. They are safe.

Older vehicles with significant miles on them need more work and different parts, and to my knowledge that is what we are all waiting on.

I am very annoyed by it. With the Takata recall, we kept passengers out of our 4runner front seat for well over a year (simply did not drive it much). We tried to get a rental as the recall offered, and our dealer said no problem, but Toyota corporate denied my request telling me my car was safe by phone (refused to tell me this, which was contrary to the recall itself, in writing). And my car was fully subject to the recall at this time. One of the many reasons I got a Land Cruiser was that it was not subject to the Takata recall.

Now my Land Cruiser is subject to a similar recall cautioning the use of the front seat, and it is taking a very long time to get taken care of. I have not asked for a rental. The Takata recall I understood some, as it was a global issue with limited supply. This recall, with a relatively small number of affected units, should have been a relatively quick fix.

This recall, with a relatively small number of affected units, should have been a relatively quick fix.

To me this is the issue.

Got the new ones squared away so they can still move off dealer lots? Great!

What about all those existing owners? Well, they drive a big Highlander anyway.. let them use one of those.

I also understand that they may want to have ALL the parts available before repairing any.. don’t want to get 10% done then explain to other customers why they can’t do theirs too.

Someone on here got a 2019 QX as a loaner. OP, Maybe dig up those posts and see if you can copy their method?

No, there is more to it than that. Here’s one of many threads that include the notices and explanations from Toyota. Just yesterday, once again my dealer told me they had no idea when parts would be available.

ah, yes, thank you - I too remember thinking new "snappy" front seat belts would be kinda cool

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.37.29 AM.png

Why is Toyota downplaying this recall? There are over 80,000 vehicles affected here and they are still selling them. It's the passenger airbag sensor the when it breaks will not deploy the passenger airbag. In December 2018 notifications were sent out to owners about the defect. I also found letters sent to the dealers to stop selling the vehicles yet I still see lots of vehicles for sale. Bottom line is the situation is not safe for your passenger. My dealer in bold told me to surrender the vehicle and drove it to my house where it has been parked for months. I want to make sure people here are aware of this. Toyota provided a loaner vehicle and parked my 2017 at my house only after I pushed the issue. They are trying to skirt this problem, but if your vehicle does not have the ability to deploy the airbag during a crash it's NOT SAFE!! DOT requires all cars to have operable airbags. For seven months this is going on. Your warranty is burning off, you get to make payments, insurance, registration etc., and have the opportunity to drive a base model highlander for the price of a Landcruiser. Go Toyota. My buddy is in the same predicament and they told him the car is "safe." I said to him then why is your wife driving a loaner vehicle for the past seven months. I have been an owner of more than 15 Toyotas predominantly Land cruisers over the span of 30 years. I am shocked how they are handling this. I asked them to fix the car or take it back. Not only was the Case Manager rude yesterday, but she also was condescending. Am I being impatient? What a treat. I'm sorry but at what point does the consumer get to push back. What a joke. Look at the third letter sent to the dealers that I have attached.

Quit being such a ***sy. Quit overreacting. You sound like a Prius owner

They were allowed to sell new cruisers after the recall because a procedure has been developed to fix the problem on them. They are safe.

Older vehicles with significant miles on them need more work and different parts, and to my knowledge that
You got it. Pay $80k and you can’t drive the car. You might feel how we do if they hung you up for 7months No they are not safe. There is not a fix in site.

Thank
To me this is the issue.

What about all those existing owners? Well, they drive a big Highlander anyway.. let them use one of those.

I also understand that they may want to have ALL the parts available before repairing any.. don’t want to get 10% done then explain to other customers why they can’t do theirs too.

Someone on here got a 2019 QX as a loaner. OP, Maybe dig up those posts and see if you can copy their method?
thanks

I see you are new to the forum.
This is a helpful place.
If you can’t be helpful, surely you can be silent.

I read the safety recall three times to be sure I wasn't misreading it. Your vehicle will tell you if the passenger seatbelt tension sensor is malfunctioning.

You will know because someone will be sitting in the passenger seat and the passenger airbag "OFF" indicator will be illuminated.

Everyone has their own level of acceptable risk. I do verify the "OFF" indicator is not illuminated anytime someone is in the passenger seat, just to be sure. If it ever IS illuminated with someone sitting in the passenger seat, then there's a problem. Do I think Toyota is dragging their feet on a solution? Definitely. That said, this recall (at least for me) doesn't warrant parking the cruiser. My $0.02....

To me this is the issue.

My passenger seat belt and airbag lights are functioning properly, so I'm less concerned with this recall than the Takata (if my airbag or seatbelt light stop working, I'll probably try the rental route again, although I'm not keen on leaving my Land Cruiser outside on a dealer lot for a potential long period of time). In the non-winter months, I'm daily driving my 40 and pickup anyway, so the 200 sits in the garage a lot.

With the Takata airbags, people were getting injured in low speed crashes due to metal shards shooting out (seems Honda had the worst problems, with a few deaths too). Based on that, even though the risk was low, I couldn't bring myself to have anyone sit in the passenger seat in my 4Runner until it was fixed. And while I have other rigs without airbags, I'd like my 200 to function properly if there is an accident, and it appears the timing to get this fixed is on the slow side. If anything, they could phase the seat belt tensioner recall by priority to get it done faster/get the process started, and you'd think it would save Toyota money by not giving out so many rentals (i.e., those with the light malfunctions get fixed first, and then my model year...). I'm just annoyed as this is now multiple years one of my Toyota SUVs has a recall where it is recommended we don't have anyone sit in the front passenger seat.

Last edited:
I read the safety recall three times to be sure I wasn't misreading it. Your vehicle will tell you if the passenger seatbelt tension sensor is malfunctioning.

You will know because someone will be sitting in the passenger seat and the passenger airbag "OFF" indicator will be illuminated.

Everyone has their own level of acceptable risk. I do verify the "OFF" indicator is not illuminated anytime someone is in the passenger seat, just to be sure. If it ever IS illuminated with someone sitting in the passenger seat, then there's a problem. Do I think Toyota is dragging their feet on a solution? Definitely. That said, this recall (at least for me) doesn't warrant parking the cruiser. My $0.02....
Exxxactly.

I had my seat belt recall work done at the dealership two weeks back. It's just less than an hour work. Only thing is they need to order the parts beforehand when I made the appointment. I was told it is replacing the harness. My passenger seat belt looks new and has a slightly different pattern than the original (comparing it to the driver side) I am not complaining though...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom