Landcruiser Prado KZJ78: To Lift or Not to Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've browsed a lot of Land Cruiser forums and interested in some opinions from those who have been there and done that!

I have an original Landcruiser Prado KZJ78 '95 Ex (auto 3L diesel) with all the advantages and disadvantages of original that brings. The springs and shocks are on their last legs with a very spongey / rolly ride. It no longer sits flat - rather to the rear and to the right. There is a bull bar on the front (no winch) and it still runs original 15 inch rims. So I've concluded its time for an upgrade. Dobinson's seem to be well recommended. But what I can't figure out is if I should or need to use the opportunity to lift it or keep it original. Most posts seem to presume a lift.

Use case is not particularly intrepid 4wd. Mostly road driving, some mountain roads here in NZ some back country roads across a river or two (nothing majorly deep). I don't plan on changing the wheels at this stage. Load wise we often have 6+ people in it (usually a few adults and a few kids in the rear seats!).

Any experience or advice welcome!

Cheers

Nick

I would buy a 2" lift with slightly heavier springs to accommodate heavier loads. Dobinson has nice product for these trucks. These trucks are basically lowered from the factory. Look how close your axle housings are to the bump stops (front). Thats partly why they articulate so poorly when stock. 2" lift is easy as you don't really need to correct driveshaft lengths, panhard, swaybars, brake hoses length, etc if you don't want to.

I would buy a 2" lift with slightly heavier springs to accommodate heavier loads. Dobinson has nice product for these trucks. These trucks are basically lowered from the factory. Look how close your axle housings are to the bump stops (front). Thats partly why they articulate so poorly when stock. 2" lift is easy as you don't really need to correct driveshaft lengths, panhard, swaybars, brake hoses length, etc if you don't want to.
great thanks for that feedback. super useful

In addition to a modest lift, these rigs really look good with 33-inch tires and 1 1/2” wheel spacers to help fill out the wheel wells.

I think Dobinsons do make a standard height kit. But with a 2 inch lift, it slowly sages towards it original height, rather than below it
For 6 people, a 2inch lift would work well.

60 mm Dobinson lift. Add some 33 x 10.5's

10531.jpeg

10598.jpeg

Just my 2 cents.

I believe it’s the 45mm.

Yep, 33” tires on 17” SCS wheels

I believe it’s the 45mm.
Now I’m second guessing, it might be the 60mm kit. The previous owner installed the kit so I’m not sure. I’ll try to find out for sure.

I fitted 50mm HD coils all round for towing a caravan , but found the front springs were far to harsh, so had a new front pair wound up with the original wire size but extra number of winds. Gave me a good soft ride.

I have a SWB kzj71, so I'm wondering how the smaller wheelbase will affect the ride height after the lift.
I think good quality shock absorbers will be the key. The SWB landcruisers. or any SWB can bounce around and although the springs will play a role, it will be the shock absorbers that stop it bouncing.

I fitted 50mm HD coils all round for towing a caravan , but found the front springs were far to harsh
Did you have a steel bullbar?. Most springs from Australia include a bullbar load on the front suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom