Landcruiser H.D. Skid Plates again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My experience with the Orion case was that the belly skid that fit before the Orion install did not fit without modification after the Orion.
The case was about 3/8" or so lower so that the skid plate was tight against the rear of the case with no clearance. Instead of shimming with spacers which, as Jim said, would be an good, simple solution, I welded a long, tapered plate on the sides to drop the rear of the skid to get clearance. But I am retired and it was winter, and I have a heated shop so it was a "cause I could solution", not a required one. Spacers would have been fine.

BUT, I don't think mine was a Downey skid plate, and the contact was at the rear of the case only. So a slight difference in measurements between the skids would negate the problem I had. In any case, it is worth checking some measurements.

The Downey aux tank skid is a great product. I have one from an earlier runs, and it fits great, was easy to install and still looks good after a lot of years.

For sure one of the fuel tank skid plates and I'll have to see about the tranny skid plate. I live close, would ir be possible to dry fit?
Sorry for not responding sooner, been out of town, plus a trip to the emergency room (they say I’ll live). Ok if you come by for a test fit if you live near Brea, Cali., lemme know.

Ok Kimosabi's, I do have another full batch of heavy duty "steel" belly skid plates (tranny/transfer) being built, and a full batch of heavy duty rear fuel cell "aluminum" skid plates being built. I have kept a list of Mudder's who indicated they were interested, but that has been over several weeks, so not sure who is still in. Time to let me know your interest since 75% of the new stock could already be sold ???

View attachment 3100317

View attachment 3100318

View attachment 3102130
I'm building a 74 fj 40 with a sbc 350. Would the skid plate fit?

I'm building a 74 fj 40 with a sbc 350. Would the skid plate fit?
Absolutely normal to lower the skid plate 1/2" or so on SOME Chevota conversions (not always), could depend upon tranny choice, or you merely motor mounting too low for more floorboard clearance ???

Sorry for not responding sooner, been out of town, plus a trip to the emergency room (they say I’ll live). Ok if you come by for a test fit if you live near Brea, Cali., lemme know.
sounds good.I live in Yorba Linda so should be easy. My truck is up at Valley Hybrid right now, I pick it up in two weeks. I'll reach out then. I just had an appendix removed, no such thing as a simple prcedure.

Okie Dokie, I'll stay tuned. My appendix reptured when I was 11 years old- - - almost died. Then had Malaria when I lived in the West Indies- - -almost died

Last edited:
Any belly skids unclaimed?

Ok Kimosabi's, I do have another full batch of heavy duty "steel" belly skid plates (tranny/transfer) being built, and a full batch of heavy duty rear fuel cell "aluminum" skid plates being built. I have kept a list of Mudder's who indicated they were interested, but that has been over several weeks, so not sure who is still in. Time to let me know your interest since 75% of the new stock could already be sold ???

View attachment 3100317

View attachment 3100318

View attachment 3102130
Any transfer skids left? Cost and didn’t see pic, J

Any transfer skids left? Cost and didn’t see pic, J
yep, 5 already paid, waiting on others to pay (respond to messages I sent them), then 3 plates left, pics of skid plates are at beginning of this thread. Need to send address so I can determine postage, then email address so I can send PayPal invoice- - -easy deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom