Landcruiser going prices? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Few people realize what a Super Clean low milage complete maintenance history pure stock locked unmolested 80 series Land Cruiser Is worth. Most of those sales, we never here about. I have an Emerald Pearl 40th low mile L/C that I believe would bring 50% of Its 52,825. sticker In a private sale but I cant let It go. I know what Super Clean Is, here's the engine bay. If that rig with 120K mi. Is as you say Its a steal at 12,000. Good Luck :)
DSC06819_zpst3zsygrn.jpg

Few people realize what a Super Clean low milage complete maintenance history pure stock locked unmolested 80 series Land Cruiser Is worth. Most of those sales, we never here about. I have an Emerald Pearl 40th low mile L/C that I believe would bring 50% of Its 52,825. sticker In a private sale but I cant let It go. I know what Super Clean Is, here's the engine bay. If that rig with 120K mi. Is as you say Its a steal at 12,000. Good Luck :)
DSC06819_zpst3zsygrn.jpg
I think this warrants a new thread called "show me your engine bay."

DSC06819_zpst3zsygrn.jpg

That's too clean. Do you drive it??? Ha!

Amazing! Reminds me of when I sold my old volvo wagon back in the day. I spit-shined the engine bay, and I'm pretty sure that's what sold the wagon.

That's too clean. Do you drive it??? Ha!

No, 1 mile a month, runs 20 min week. and very well cared for, In and out. I will sell to a collector In 10 yr. when a like new stock 80 can not be found. I will be to old to clean them up then anyway. lol I built my 95 because I can, I'm to busted up to go off road. :frown: I do love these rig though. Merry Christmas sir..! :)

No, 1 mile a month, runs 20 min week. and very well cared for, In and out. I will sell to a collector In 10 yr. when a like new stock 80 can not be found. I will be to old to clean them up then anyway. lol I built my 95 because I can, I'm to busted up to go off road. :frown: I do love these rig though. Merry Christmas sir..! :)

Very nice. How many miles are on it?

Mine is being driven almost daily and I need to start taking my wife's car more so I don't rack up too many miles on mine.

Let's see the frame and diffs. I can clean my engine compartment up just like that. Steam cleaned I'm guessing. More harm than than good.

BTW - 40th doesn't mean s***. Nothing special about them. I have one. It's just a sticker.

To add - I bought my FJ60 new in '85 @$13K. There were 500 or so imported that year. I kept it for 13 years and sold it for what I paid for it new. Shoulda kept it. It would bring $20K now. As someone mentioned the attrition rate is high on '80's. All those soccer mom's and " cool people " who bought them did not maintain them and they are disappearing fast.

I knew what I was getting in to when I got my '97 80. Either wrench on it yourself or pay out the ass to have someone do it for you.

I predict that a clean, maintained, no rust 80 will go for $20K in the next three years. Wait and see.

Add - an 80 that's been owned by someone who knows what they are doing for maintenance is worth twice as much as one with a folder of stealership invoices. If you don't know what you are looking at, then you shouldn't even be looking. Right now a seriously nice 80 with no rust is worth $10-12K.

Any of you folks that want to pay $5K for one are just pissing in the wind or you just got really lucky. Mostly pissing in the wind because you just bought a world of maintenance coming.

Holy crap! So its been 2 years since I bought mine. I haven't checked Craigslist at all until seeing this thread. I CAN'T believe how much they have gone up in 2 years. There's none for under $8900 & the sweet ones are $12-$15k. When I was scoring cl everyday 2 years ago most were $3500 to $6000 with the occasional nice one for around around $9k. My how times have changed. Unlike buying a house at the right time at least I bought a 20 year old landcruiser at the right time.

I read the title of this as 'going places' and got excited.

I have been duped by my dyslexia.

:lol:

I always go by my sense of the seller first, appearance of the vehicle all-around second, records are not so important to me :meh:

Last edited:
I would also tell new guys - skip the e-lockers.

I did the swap into my black 80, and dumb luck my 40th has them.

For resale, yes - both would sell in a heartbeat if I advertise & chose to sell, but as a new buyer I'd find the unlocked LX450 with an original owner, and for as comparatively little that you pay, drop a ARB locker (or another as fits your budget and useage) out back (front if you feel you dam well need it), and you never have to worry about locker actuator corrosion (& replacement $$$$!), or the fact the locker wire pigtails are NLA if you damage one & can't rebuild the part yourself.

Lockers that work reliably are great, and with 400'-500' of gravel driveway, I can excercise mine as often as I like - but if you are going to pay the premium of e-lockers, they better work the day you're buying, or you better be able to diagnose them if the seller is factoring them into your purchase price.

Linus, then can you explain your posts just a few days ago in this classified thread: For Sale: - 96 clean and locked wherein you heavily promote a rig with 285k miles and 4 owners (the seller having bought it in recent months) with e-lockers, no sign of working lockers in the ad, no maintenance records, and without yourself having seen or driven the rig?

I think we as Mudheads should not vigorously lead new buyers into a specific rig we know very little about. Plus, it seems like mixed messages.

I bought a 93 1 1/2 years ago (with lockers) for $8K. The seller was asking $13K in the ad. It had 89K miles at the time. Originally bought in Idaho, moved to SoCal where it stayed until I brought it home.

Last edited:
Linus, then can you explain your posts just a few days ago in this classified thread: For Sale: - 96 clean and locked wherein you heavily promote a rig with 285k miles and 4 owners (the seller having bought it in recent months) with e-lockers, no sign of working lockers in the ad, no maintenance records, and without yourself having seen or driven the rig?

I think we as Mudheads should not vigorously lead new buyers into a specific rig we know very little about. Plus, it seems like mixed messages.

I bought a 93 1 1/2 years ago (with lockers) for $8K. The seller was asking $13K in the ad. It had 89K miles at the time. Originally bought in Idaho, moved to SoCal where it stayed until I brought it home.

Here's why you see what I wrote as contradictory:

There's a few different kind of 80 series buyers & owners, the 2 groupings I see when it comes to diffs are:

1) There's a group I'll call the "no dial, no deal"-bunch.
-They may use the lockers, they may not - as for a resale 80, they will know they can move their 80 if hard times hit faster than say a comparable non-locked example. Anyone from casual to mid-level to even say a speculator buyer who wants a 80 they can enjoy without a car payment.

These were excellent 80's to buy a decade ago, but now since a majority have seen at least 1 owner who drove the snot off it, and the parts aren't 100% available now (offhand the rear locker harness pigtail), they aren't the value they may have once been unless an owner can either source a excellent mechanic or DIY'er.

These hold up for all but a handfull of members here so they are great for 99% of us.

2) Buyers who have a desire to run near the limits a 80 will take.
-These guys know either from reading or experience the PS RR driveshaft spline issue, and that an ARB is a stronger unit & service is easy if upkept. They buy the open diff 80's planning a RR locker & knowing the FR is rarely used.
They also find the odd spots 80's may stress crack, or do 3-link fronts, beadlocks, etc. You never see them complain about OE parts price, more likely to hunt down a stronger part that costs more.

We are all somewhere a mix of these 2 groups, but really those seems the 2 sides of the guys who need/use diff locks.

As for the 80 I commented on (extremely rare for me, look at my post history) - **if** I was shopping for a e-locked 80, his by his own description would be one I'd start with. Every potential buyer is responsible for their own due diligence so where you see problems or whatever, I saw an 80 with average miles for average price if unlocked, let alone locked. And since it's not been modded, it looks to support his narrative. Then again, I've got zero issues doing a fly-n-buy if say a local LC shop greenlit this 80, but I have 2 already.

That said, it would seem the value now days is an open diff with excellent traits (no wrecks, low owners, low miles, lots of records, your favorite color - whatever you value most) & adding a ARB or whatever locker you like out back, a 2" lift & a winch bumper & winch, 33 or 35 tires, and maybe a FR diff lock. If you stop there you have a heck of a rig, and a 33" spare still fits the stock spot.
But I own a lift & can do all my own work - if I didn't then a e-locked 80 might make more sense.
Different folks - different strokes.

:lol:

I always go by my sense of the seller first, appearance of the vehicle all-around second, records are not so important to me :meh:

Funny, I bought my truck because you you suggested I go by appearance. It was purdy; some oil leaks, but not a big deal. I passed on the locked rig because this one was in nice shape. About all it had for records too was the little sticker on the windshield for the next oil change reminder.

IMG_9464.JPG

Then you gave me crap because I didn't have a locker when I spun a tire.

Now you give me crap because it isn't so pretty anymore after putting in the lockers. :lol: :rofl:

IMG_2302.JPG

EDIT: There's a poop smiley now! :poop: @woody, you're my hero.

Last edited:
^ Thanks Linus for 'explaining' why I see what you wrote as contradictory and for so tidily categorizing 80 buyers. The rig you were boldly heralding, by the way, recently failed emissions. Were you aware of that? Could be no biggie but something to consider before spending or encouraging others to spend "$7200 firm" on a rig with such high miles.

For about 2 years now, I have consistently looked around for solid 80 series rigs at my price level. In the past month or so, if Carfax is to be trusted, I've noticed significantly more scammers out there selling these rigs, i.e. misrepresenting miles, #owners, title, location history, etc. of the rigs. So, in sum, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2562.JPG
I'll play. Looked for over a year. Found a 1994 CA truck in near mint condition a few months back with only 94.5k miles. No lockers, leather but no power seats. I paid up. Records were there, carfax was clean. It was at a consignment shop. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped with people nipping at my heals. Since I bought it it's gotten new Harrop e-lockers, KO2's, and a new stereo. I'd say $30k would take it, but I love it too much.

I have mainly just been searching craigslist and autotrader. What are some good sites to search fro these rigs?

View attachment 1368874 View attachment 1368873 I'll play. Looked for over a year. Found a 1994 CA truck in near mint condition a few months back with only 94.5k miles. No lockers, leather but no power seats. I paid up. Records were there, carfax was clean. It was at a consignment shop. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped with people nipping at my heals. Since I bought it it's gotten new Harrop e-lockers, KO2's, and a new stereo. I'd say $30k would take it, but I love it too much.

Thomasmoore66, where did you end up finding yours and what did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom