Land Use Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How about a "sticky" for land use issues?
Have you read the newest land grab article in the GJ Sentinel?
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !!! This stuff will never end, so we must band together with all of the other OHV groups to make our voice
heard.

:cheers:
James

How about a "sticky" for land use issues?
Have you read the newest land grab article in the GJ Sentinel?
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !!! This stuff will never end, so we must band together with all of the other OHV groups to make our voice
heard.

:cheers:
James

Thread Stickied. Great Idea! Let's Try it out.

Post on up. Depending on what the issue is you are speaking I don't know if I have seen it. I don't get the paper.

I try to keep the FB and emails flowing with land use issues. As an officer I don't really feel that it's my place to push an opinion on issues (something I am increasingly active with in my personal life) but want to provide our members with the information so that they can create their own opinions (read "the views of our members and statements thereof do not necessarily reflect the views of BCC). I feel there are organizations (Blue Ribbon Coalition, COHVCO, Grand Valley Trails) that do represent these issues. Feel free to call BS if you think I'm on the wrong track. But I absolutely agree that getting the issues out to people is a good thing and necessary. Education is the first step in promoting change. Keep em coming James! We could always formally vote in a Land Use Coordinator :hmm:

Last edited:
I think the club should have a "Land use/issues coordinator" that can work with the BLM, other clubs etc. and help keep the BCC current on off roading developments.

Friends-
I had the pleasure of attending the final Open House for the RMP tonight and wanted to take a few moments to share some notes with you. This week's meeting took place in Fruita at the Civic center. In my opinion it was the best venue yet. The Grand Junction meeting was in too small of an area and posed challenges to folks due to noise and lack of space. The first thing I noticed at this weeks meeting was that the RMP maps had been updated. This was presumably a result from the input of people who attended the previous meetings and gave me some reassurance that our voices are being heard. The Travel Management Maps represent most of the field office divided up by Zone. The addition from previous weeks was the inclusion of polygons depicting Area designations. These area designations reflect the proposed management of an area for the next 20-25 years. Some examples of designations are "Foot Traffic Only" and "Designated Routes Only" but there are many more. It is my understanding that these areas carry more weight than specific route designations and will be the most difficult things to change after the final RMP is implemented. I've been assured that the maps will be made publicly available and will let you know when they are.

The BLM staff had obviously done their homework too and were more informed in their presentations. One statement that I heard consistently was that comments presented during the 90 day comment period (open now) were pivotal to affecting change. If comments are not provided, Alternative B as it sits will be the law of the land. In addition, those who do not comment do not have the ability to protest during the official protest period. BLM staff also stressed the importance of detailed comments. What areas do you what managed how and most importantly WHY. Also provide information to what the BLM can do to adequately manage an area. The bigger picture areas should be the first priority in comments followed by specific routes.

I was pleased to hear that the BLM is planning another set of Open House meetings specifically geared to the Travel Management Plan with much more one on one interaction. I would really like to see a formal public question and answer session which was something that was not incorporated in these meetings, only one on one.

I've been very happy with the involvement of the club and the entire motorized user community in this process and encourage all to continue in their support.

Disclaimer: The above commentary represents only the opinion of Jonathan Harris as he saw things during his attendance of the Open Houses. Users are encouraged do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

The RMP Can be found here. http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gjfo/rmp.html

Hey Book Cliff Cruisers this is Mitch. At our March meeting last Saturday it was decided that we need a Land Use Committe or person. Jonathan has been doing an excellent job representing our club as well as spending a lot of time to help the cause. Doug and myself volunteered to to try to take on this role and help take a little load off of Jonathan.

Monday evening i attended the Grand Mesa Jeep Club monthly meeting which focused on the new BLM RMP (Resource Management Plan). The Jeep Club has develeoped a great long standing relationship with the Local BLM field office. Three BLM employees attended the meeting to help answer questions, which was very informative. The President of the Jeep Club, Jeff Bates, has been working with a few other organizations in the valley to try to figure out how to keep as many trails open as possible. The new RMP has taken about 5 years for the BLM field office to complete. We the public only have 90 days to review this info, make sense of it all, and then write comments to hopefully direct the BLM to decide how the public would like to manage these lands. The Jeep club as well as our own Pres. have spent their last few Sundays reviewing the RMP to make sense of it. Therefore we all don't have to to spend counless hours reading this document. I will keep in touch with this group to keep everyone informed. The GMJC has came up with a comment sheet that simplifies the comment writing process. They presented it to the BLM and the BLM thinks so highly of it that they are making the form fillable online. The Form should be available online within the next day or so at the Jeep Club web site: www.gmjc.org. I have hard copies of the form if anyone is interested. If any one has any questions feel free to post up or email me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom