Land Rover TJM T-15 on 94 FZJ-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

94trilocked

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.fordsix.com
Is a TJM T-15 from a 2004ish Land Rover reasonably close to fitting a 94 FZJ80? A friend has one possible for cheap/free... I guess at that price I can make it fit. I haven't been to his place to check it out and measure yet.

20200119_162242.jpg
20200119_162314.jpg
20200119_162955.jpg

Just needs a bit of nip n tuck...

Last edited:
That actually looks decent and pretty do-able. Let us know your process if you manage to get it mounted.

I'm glad you went ahead and picked up the bumper to figure it out. When I read the original question, I was thinking "no way in hell anyone will be able to answer this"

Looks pretty good. I would consider sectioning it and moving the outside edges in to close the tip to fender gap, raise it up 1" to 1-1/2" to get it closer to the lower valance in front, but overall both of these are for better headlight clearance on the upper bars. They need to come in a bit and also move up.

Yes, I agree - Up and In.

The outside mounting plate hits the radiator support gusset. There's only about 4" clear on the frame on the outside, so I wasn't able to push it in as far as it should.

I am going to use the old bumper vertical mounts to find where the original bumper sat to figure out where that plane is. Those old mounts support the old bumper at the top, so that is where the new bumper 'should' go which should be pretty close on the Up and In direction. That will also tell me if I need to scribe and trim the top of the bumper to match any contours, but I don't think that is going to be an issue.

The new bumper mount plate brackets need to be cut. I am going to cut those off vertical where they protrude out from the winch plate then lap and weld them on the inside of the cut and move them down lower to move the bumper up. These brackets need to look like a "Z" more or less. Right now they pretty much stick straight out.

Once I get the brackets cobbled up and the height is right I will match the wheel arch arc - that's really the only other issue I foresee. I don't know if I'm going to section it narrower at the wings, but we can take a look once it's mounted at the right height. There could be a return of the fender flares at some point.

I'm glad you went ahead and picked up the bumper to figure it out. When I read the original question, I was thinking "no way in hell anyone will be able to answer this"
Some things the internet can't tell ya! So, yes - I am doing this to answer a question that'll probably only be asked once. Plus, I'm not actually sure it is a TJM bumper. IDK what it is, but I like it. 🤷‍♂️ We'll need to change the thread title if it isn't a TJM.

Some things the internet can't tell ya! So, yes - I am doing this to answer a question that'll probably only be asked once. Plus, I'm not actually sure it is a TJM bumper. IDK what it is, but I like it. 🤷‍♂️ We'll need to change the thread title if it isn't a TJM.
I'm glad you asked, because It would open another possibility to me. LR's sell for pennies on the dollar. I could buy the whole truck for the ARB, then modify it slightly to get what I want and I would be lots of $$$ ahead from building my own from scratch or buying one made to fit.

I'm glad you asked, because It would open another possibility to me. LR's sell for pennies on the dollar. I could buy the whole truck for the ARB, then modify it slightly to get what I want and I would be lots of $$$ ahead from building my own from scratch or buying one made to fit.

That's what happened to the LR this one is from - sold cheap. It had some frame stress crack/rot issue and other gremlins.

Wow! I'm very curious to see where this goes. I never would have thought a disco bumper would be close to fitting an 80, but it looks like it could work with a little work.

So, had a little time to work on this today @ lunch... After measuring the inside and outside of the frame rails and bumper mounting plates, I didn't want to end up with ~1/2" of spacer plates on either side of the frame. I didn't want to make 4 sets of offset brackets to take up the gap either.

20200121_132632.jpg

^^ Ran 4" angle grinder with its face against the winch plate to cut close to the weld. Then grind weld flat.^^

The LC frame rails are ~2-1/4" wide x 4-1/2" tall - 25-1/2" inside dim. This bumper mounts are 3-1/4 " wide x 4" tall and 24-1/4" inside dim.. With everything centered up, I would have had to pad/shim out both sides of the LC frame rail. So, first pass is to cut out the bumpers inner mounts, which are about 1/8" plate, so wasn't too bad to run the grinder along the welds and break them out. These will be repositioned so the inside brackets are closer to the 25-1/2" LC dimension.

20200121_141327.jpg

^^ score some 'hinges' in to bend easier. these will be welded up. Used the inside brackets as a straight edge ^^

For the heavier outside bracket - those measure 31" inside. The LC is 30" outside to outside of the Frame rail, so these need to come in about 1/2 on each side. For this, I am going to try to score and Z bend to get them 1/2" offset to the inside to the 30" LC frame outside dimension.

20200121_141642.jpg

^^ will clean up and reuse the inside brackets. ^^

To get these Inside brackets to the correct spot, use the LC as a jig - clamp them to the inside frame rails and tack on a piece of angle iron to hold them the correct distance apart. Then unclamp and transfer them back to the bumper, keeping centers.

In the end, these will be about 2-1/2" wide . Once the inner brackets are moved over and the outside brackets are looking like a Z, I'll play with setting the height, which should only be adding some metal to the bottom of these mount points, and making some oblong holes. I will make some through holes with sleeves in the LC frame once I figure out where these live.

Last edited:
Comin' along...
Hole sawed some holes through the inner brackets, mounted them to the LC, and a tacked in a piece of galvo pipe betwixt them to hold the distance.

20200122_163601.jpg

20200122_165822.jpg

Marked the centers and lined them up to test fit. I need to do some clean up on the edge where the inner brackets weld to the winch plate. Other than that... done for today.

Last edited:
Careful welding on galvanized. I know of a couple people that ended up in the hospital from that.o_O

Careful welding on galvanized. I know of a couple people that ended up in the hospital from that.o_O

I ran a 5x10 lockformer vulcan plasma table working in a sheetmetal shop for about 5 years. There was one time the plasma exhaust blower busted... nasty smoke. Typically we would be cutting, welding and banging miles of galvanized and stainless all day. I've seen people get sick only a couple of times - bad headache, a couple times nausea. But that would be when it was thick... or you were doing it wrong or not using extractors... Or in winter and they didn't want to open the doors...

Personally, I can never find a friggin mask when I'm using an angle grinder...

Tacked the inners on - made sure they were square to the world and the truck. That galvo pipe might just be temporary.

Scoring the thick plate worked out well, still movable for some on-truck fitment, but we're in the ballpark.

20200124_170442.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom