Land Cruisers spotted in Traverse City (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not may red one. I have not had it out this year yet. I did buy a set of half doors from Garfield Auto for a great price that he had laying around!

I stopped going there after Pat and Mark left. Mark is now doing work on my 60 at his house out near The Crown. He has a lift. I had a Cruiser Outfitters suspension kit drop shipped right to his house last month. Leaf springs, shackles, everything. He cranked the swap out fast at $50/hour. He’s gonna help w/ a de-smog next. I need to get everything tight before SAS#5.

He has always done great work on my 60 and his rates are better than you can find anywhere.

I haven’t seen the red or green 40s you mentioned. Lots of FJs cruising around though.
Is Mark taking on additional business ? Ed

Hey @TCEd, I know this is months later but I'm pretty sure that was me at Rare Bird. We should revive that TC meet up idea for this summer.

Hey @TCEd, I know this is months later but I'm pretty sure that was me at Rare Bird. We should revive that TC meet up idea for this summer.

I'm an idiot for not stopping.

In fairness to all models I changed the title. Ed

I’ve been trying to get my 60 ready for the SAS#5 this August in Ouray. I went out there last summer solo and had fun running some of the more moderate/easy passes but quickly realized after 2 roundtrips to Colorado, that I needed some work on the 60.

I mentioned the whole suspension spruce up I did in March. Just got done w/ desmog. Doing the valve cover in a couple weeks. It’s a little seepy...... Also, found some coolant leaking from the hose at the top back center of the engine. re-seated that. Seems to be holding.

It’s non-stop maintenance........ I really need new seats. 16 hour driving days on the way out and back in original 60 seats is brutal.

He is.

Mark Michalski
Taking the 40 to Mark this Thursday. Guessing the rear main seal on the engine crankshaft has failed and have a good leak and I'm well beyond doing that type work. Will replace everything related to clutch and associated parts while it's torn down. ed

Ha!! I’m dropping off there as well - follow up on the de-smog and valve cover needs attention.
Mine will be the blue 40 with an oil puddle under it.

Ha!! I’m dropping off there as well - follow up on the de-smog and valve cover needs attention.
Your 60 looks great, first time I've seen it around the area. Mark gave me some good news, the oil leak is not a rear seal. Last fall prior to putting the 40 away for winter I had Garfield Auto drain and replace every fluid in the vehicle, engine, trans, cooling, difs, transfer case. Shortly after bringing it home a engine oil leak began. I took the 40 back to Garfield Auto recently and they said the rear seal was leaking and replacement was appx $ 1200+. This is why I went to Mark for a second opinion and found the oil pan drain is leaking and a easy fix. Garfield Auto must have messed that up last fall when changing the oil and than threw a high price repair at me. So, Garfield Auto is off my good shop list. Ed

Garfield Auto is where Mark worked when I first met him. When he left, I left with him. He was the guy that did everything on my 60 when it was there. I don’t know who they have there since he left, but I trust Mark. When he did the de-smog on my 60 a few weeks back, he notice some seepage around the valve cover so he’s fixing that this am. I think I’ll get it back today - I told him I was camping/fishing this weekend over in the Mason Tract on the Au Sable South Branch and need my mobile tent. I’m always impressed with his rates. When he installed a complete Cruiser Outfitter suspension [leaf springs, shocks, shackles, steering stabilizer, etc] it was $600. The desmog was a little over $200. And, most importantly, I trust the guy.

Your 60 looks great, first time I've seen it around the area. Mark gave me some good news, the oil leak is not a rear seal. Last fall prior to putting the 40 away for winter I had Garfield Auto drain and replace every fluid in the vehicle, engine, trans, cooling, difs, transfer case. Shortly after bringing it home a engine oil leak began. I took the 40 back to Garfield Auto recently and they said the rear seal was leaking and replacement was appx $ 1200+. This is why I went to Mark for a second opinion and found the oil pan drain is leaking and a easy fix. Garfield Auto must have messed that up last fall when changing the oil and than threw a high price repair at me. So, Garfield Auto is off my good shop list. Ed
Do you know what he did to fix the drain plug? Mine was seeping when I bought the truck and no combination of new plugs/washers helped so I ended up using RTV - which works, but just feels wrong.

Great to hear about Mark, I'm pretty sure an engine rebuild (if I'm lucky just top end) is in my future so I'm looking for options - I figure it would be worth the 3.5hr trip for someone like Mark vs shops around here that have zero experience with 2Fs.

Do you know what he did to fix the drain plug? Mine was seeping when I bought the truck and no combination of new plugs/washers helped so I ended up using RTV - which works, but just feels wrong.

Great to hear about Mark, I'm pretty sure an engine rebuild (if I'm lucky just top end) is in my future so I'm looking for options - I figure it would be worth the 3.5hr trip for someone like Mark vs shops around here that have zero experience with 2Fs.

I'll get back with you on the drain plug situation once it's corrected.

From Mark’s shop -

IMG_6870.jpg

1985 FJ60. It’s a mini-80.....

Work is never done... Mark ordered a carb rebuild kit and we’re going to do that next. Still working kinks out from de-smog. Also lost my AC yesterday. I’d really hoped to get new front seats in before heading to Ouray CO for SAS. Those 2 round trips I did last summer to CO in the original seats were hard on the back.

That silver 1st Gen Sequoia that’s in there is mine too. I tore the passenger side front door handle off the car and he’s trying to fix that.

A buddy of mine saw this one in TVC last week. I haven’t seen it yet in person, but we need to figure out who our new friend is!

Unknown-21.jpeg

1985 FJ60. It’s a mini-80.....

Work is never done... Mark ordered a carb rebuild kit and we’re going to do that next. Still working kinks out from de-smog. Also lost my AC yesterday. I’d really hoped to get new front seats in before heading to Ouray CO for SAS. Those 2 round trips I did last summer to CO in the original seats were hard on the back.

That silver 1st Gen Sequoia that’s in there is mine too. I tore the passenger side front door handle off the car and he’s trying to fix that.

A buddy of mine saw this one in TVC last week. I haven’t seen it yet in person, but we need to figure out who our new friend is!

View attachment 2677436

I have a 60 vs 80 identity crisis, edited my post. That long wheelbase FJ43 ? looks huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom