1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Land Cruisers illegal on residential streets?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by FirstToy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. FirstToy

FirstToy

What an intersting article I stumbled across tonite. I live in one of the cities mentioned, Pasadena.
    notice the GVW and curb weight discreptancy seems to invalidate his entire argument however...

http://slate.msn.com/id/2104755

2. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

GVWR is not the same thing as saying that a vehicle weighs that much. The California law deals with vehicles actually weighing over 6,000 pounds. The vehicles cited in that blurb all have GVWR's of greater than three tons. Here's a for instance: my 76 HJ-45 weighs in at about 45-4700 lbs wet. It is rated to carry one ton of cargo along with three passengers. It's GVWR would put it at almost 7,000 pounds.

Another example is tractor trailer rigs. Most states limit the rigs GW at 80,000 pounds. But unloaded, the big boys don't weigh even one fourth that much. The moral is--don't believe everything you read.

3. Darwood

Darwood

Very interesting article. Can anyone tell me how much old american iron pre late 1970's gas crisis?

4. Ocelot

Ocelot

did you even read the article?

5. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

If the State of California strictly enforced this law, no moving trucks (Atlas Van Lines, etc.), Home Depot delivery trucks, construction dump trucks, etc. could operate in residential areas!

Sorta "B.S." article - filler material really!

Regards,

Alan
    Seattle

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

just a bunch of tree hugger propaganda :flipoff2:

I shall pay no heed to this and will continue to my rebellious ways and drive my 3 ton + GVWR rig.

7. Bluto

Bluto

Yeah. Read it.

" Their argument just highlights the ongoing hypocrisy that surrounds big SUV ownership."
    "However, those who take the federal and state tax breaks for their heavy SUVs are happy to accept the GVWR as their vehicle's official weight. After all, they must be over 6K to get the write-off. "

If this was his intention for writing this article, he should have wrote his piece around this hypocrisy (the writer's dislike of SUVs). Instead of ranting off about a dang sign. Typical BS writer. I thought Slate disappeared with the other pretenders. Paid subscription :rolleyes:

8. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

ocelot: bite me. I read it and even comprehended it. I just don't agree with it's imperatives or intentions.

9. dclee

dclee

But Commiefornia loves this stuff! It's the real-world manifestation of Ayn Rand's theories on government.

Funny story. Kalifornia banned .50 cal rifles as "assault weapons." Don't remember the last time some punk banger did a drive-by with a 30 pound, five foot long rifle using ammo that costs two bucks a round, but I digress...

Barrett Firearms, maker of the military M82A1/M107 (our premier .50 cal. precision rifle), then decided to halt all sales and services to any government agency in the state. That meant all those jack-booted LEOs (or more correctly, their administrators) who thought they were somehow exempt from gun control suddenly found that their big rifles weren't supported by the factory anymore, they could not longer get spares or replacement parts, nor could they ever buy another similar rifle for replacing end-of-life specimens. I laughed when I found out. Talk about unintended consequences. Go Ronnie Barrett!

10. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Guess they'll have to get Sako TRG-42s in .338 Lapua now. I don't know, doesn't make much sense really to shut out the police market in one state when you'll just wind up helping the bottom line of a competitor....

Steve

11. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

That article, or one just like it, made the rounds a few years ago.

Why did I know this involved CA before I even clicked?

I agree with the others. Just fluff and filler for the liberal members of the media. NTTIAWWT!

12. dealmaker

dealmaker

sounds like one of those loophole laws they'll use if they want an excuse to pull you over. A buddy of mine with a Suburban was pulled over. Cop said his euro tailights were illegal, some kind of obscure CA law apparenetly makes it illegal to swap out the manufactuers lights? Anyway, the cop let him go with no citations, probably just wanted to check him out. This was in an area with low tolerance for "non-residents" so the cop was probably just checking him out.

13. FirstToy

FirstToy

Well I think it's funny how his argument is completely invalid and he has to try and cover it up with the addenum of "tax loophole".
    Also if you see his correction to the Honda Accord, going by GVW the Accord is now 4,000lbs GVW instead of the 2,500lbs curb weight he used originally.

Notice the irony? He uses GVW and Curb weights to suit his argument (SUV's are over 6,000lbs and a Honda Accord is only 2,500lbs)

but then he blames SUV owners of the same thing for the tax loophole! hahaha.

I'm not for the tax loophole since it is actually for farmers, but I think this is just embarassing "journalism".

this photo does say '6000 gross' so maybe they actually do go by GVW?
    [​IMG]

14. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeppers... some communties have it in their CCR's that you can not have a Truck in the street or in the driveway. You must park it in the garage where it can not be seen. That includes anything that could be deemed as a truck which would include an SUV. I know one commuty with this wouldnt allow a brand new GMC Suburban be seen.