Land Cruiser vs. Cherokee Sport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am suprised that no one has mentioned the runner. I hope that you get the crusier but a 5 speed runner is definetly my second choice. I ran them for 8 years and loved it all. The 3.4 with a locker is the choice one although I never had one. i'll take an ifs runner over and jeep having owned a yj and charokee.

I own both a'97 XJ and a '97 LX 450. While I agree it is like comparing apples and oranges (or a $15K vehicle with a $50K vehicle), I still love my jeep, but I have put $$$ into axles and replaced the motor. While the LX450 is a nicer vehicle in every way, is built better and drives better, it is still 50% heavier and it is NOTICEABLE. Braking sucks, power SUCKS, the ride in my Jeep is better (though it has a lift and LX is on original springs).

Most XJs do not come with the D35. The 8.25 and High pinion D30 are adequate for most people. It is a smaller vehicle and performs as such. I have had a lot of trouble in the snow on and off pavement. The issue may partly have been a tire difference (aggressive all terrains on the LX vs. Goodyear M/TRs) but weight was certainly a big factor. I had to turn around twice in the LX where icy packed snow was a big problem. Never had that issue in the Jeep.

My jeep and LX are built about the same now with the only difference really being the lift and body armor. The jeep is definitely a better off road performer, more agile, narrower, etc. But the LX is far sturdier. I would expect the frame/body to last a lifetime, while I will need to reinforce my "frame" on the jeep and hope it lasts.

The jeep is a light crawler, the LX is a true, well built expedition vehicle. I have about the same $$ into both. If I had to choose one again, and they cost almost the same like they do now, the LX would be the one I would buy.

All that said, I think you made the right choice for your use.

Picked up the truck a week ago and drove it back to CO from Salt Lake. I absolutely love it. We went up for the first time offroading yesterday and it performed very well and we had a blast. Can't wait till this weekend to go explore more trails. I fear this 4x4 bug is hitting harder than any of my auto racing adventures including Rally America :D I will say I think I finally found something the family can do together and enjoy. Thanks again for all of the helpful information. I have already found tons of great info on this site that has helped me from tire choice to the PHH hose fix. :popcorn:

58774_566724113893_72203123_32793495_4711056_n.jpg

Nice.

Good decision. I just finished welding up a few more cracks in my Cherokee's "frame." :D

Just a comparison ride in the two vehicles will reveal a lot about the differences that set the LC apart from da Heep or any other 4WD for that matter. Solid, smooth and tight. Da Heep rattles and is not a sure steer on or off road. Try it you'll see. Good luck braddah!

steak vs. spam

I am about to pull the trigger on a Land Cruiser and have found a few locally on craigslist that look appealing (93+ vintage). They all have about 200k on the clock and priced about the same. During my searches I have crossed quite a few Cherokee's with way lower mileage for the similar or even less money. Now don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of a big tank that is unstoppable but dollar for dollar am I missing out on anything that the Cherokee has to offer? I know some of you have owned a Jeep and a Land Cruiser and can make a comment or two. Yes I have read the faq and have been lurking this forum for some time. The truck will be used for daily driving when when the BMW is unavail, ski trips, and towing a small boat on occasion. I might get into 4-wheeling as well but at this point have zero experience.

What you're missing out on the Cherokee is a good power to weight ratio and that's about IT!!! The Cherokee will scoot right along where the LC will just slow down and get worse mileage as the mods pile on. However, I'd prefer the LC for towing duty over the Cherokee any day.

Last edited:
Came in late on this one ,but I had this emialed to me not too long ago, not sure if it's legit but it really makes you wonder: Auto Workers Drinking, Getting High During Lunch

(Fast forward) Congrats on the new addition- I see you were pursaded by a baised opinion- you will never regret....

Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom