Land Cruiser or Lux Cruiser...dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Land Cruiser lovers, I am on the verge of a 200 series. I travel to Chicago tomorrow to trade my F250 in for either a 2013 black LC w/ 102k on it for 36900, or a 2009 LX570, black, with 74k on it, for 34500. The LX, by the numbers seems to be the better deal not considering the 4 year difference in model year. I found a more extensive service record for the LC than I did for the LX, but the LX was a corporate vehicle for the first owner, and the second owner averaged 4k miles a year per the CARFAX. both are clear titles/no damage or accidents. So my question is this: What is the better deal in your eyes?

Thanks!

CARS.com links to the two are below. The LX pics are on my phone as they just got it in. Not a huge fan of black vehicles but I can't be choosy right now. The chrome 20s on the LX WILL have to go immediately though!

LC: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/832490165/overview/

LX: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/835114615/overview/ From the pics provided, it's in really great shape as well!

Fellow Land Cruiser lovers, I am on the verge of a 200 series. I travel to Chicago tomorrow to trade my F250 in for either a 2013 black LC w/ 102k on it for 36900, or a 2009 LX570, black, with 74k on it, for 34500. The LX, by the numbers seems to be the better deal not considering the 4 year difference in model year. I found a more extensive service record for the LC than I did for the LX, but the LX was a corporate vehicle for the first owner, and the second owner averaged 4k miles a year per the CARFAX. both are clear titles/no damage or accidents. So my question is this: What is the better deal in your eyes?

Thanks!

CARS.com links to the two are below. The LX pics are on my phone as they just got it in. Not a huge fan of black vehicles but I can't be choosy right now. The chrome 20s on the LX WILL have to go immediately though!

LX: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/835114615/overview/ From the pics provided, it's in really great shape as well!
2013 LC. For sure. I may be demonstrating unconscious bias. ;)

My read of the Lexus Carfax is that the lack of maintenance caught up with the owner and they had to put a butt-ton of money into repair/maintenance just before trading it in. That front hub and rear bearing and axle work was not cheap. See if the Lexus owners site has any insights on other maintenance. If not, go into that one with your eyes wide open for other things that will need repair. I guess I also wonder if the hub and bearing work was chasing a vibration that didn't get resolved so the owner traded it.

The only thing I would check on the LC (and LX) is the condition of the radiator (cracked top issue).

As @32cls6speedmt noted, look them over super carefully for rust underneath. Both are at years when rust can do some damage if they have not been cared for.

From what I know right now (very very little), I'd vote LC because it appears to have a better history. (notwithstanding the bottles and bottles of shiny spray they used all over in and out).

Otherwise, just good test driving and check to see that all works-------typical PPI stuff.

Drive both. Get on a freeway if possible. As indicated check carefully for rust.
Pick the one you like best.

Yeah the lack of service history on that LX would be something to consider for sure. If it was in Iowa even older though would theoretically have way less rust than the LC which spent its life in Massachusetts. Def make an account on

See if anything more detailed on the service history shows. People don’t usually buy a new top of the line Lexus and not service at the dealer at least for some time. Smells fishy

otherwise yeah LC for sure. Will hold its value over time better than especially considering its 4 years newer. Just do what you can to evaluate the undercarriage for rust severity

Where is under carriage photos?
There weren't any. But I chatted with another fella from midwest overlander that looked at it too and said there was an overcoat underneath and it looked suspicious...so we will see

I'm only speaking to years and models, not your specific specimens.

What you're finding was my experience that generally the LX will cost less for similar miles and age relative to the LC.

The older LX to me is more of a twin to the LC aside from the suspension and some other features (most of which tend to be more on the LX first). As the models progressed they started diverging more and more with the interior cosmetics etc.

I enjoy the AHC suspension and it is quite capable, but definitely go in knowing that doing anything with it is non-trivial and can't just be yanked out. That said you can get an inch+ of lift by moving a bolt.

Additionally while many of the aspects of the two cars are similar, you will have a harder time with finding certain aftermarket parts for the LX. For instance, with sliders there are quite a few LC options, with the LX there are two. Similar with bumpers you'll have to make sure AHC reservoir is accounted for etc.

Yeah the lack of service history on that LX would be something to consider for sure. If it was in Iowa even older though would theoretically have way less rust than the LC which spent its life in Massachusetts. Def make an account on

See if anything more detailed on the service history shows. People don’t usually buy a new top of the line Lexus and not service at the dealer at least for some time. Smells fishy

otherwise yeah LC for sure. Will hold its value over time better than especially considering its 4 years newer. Just do what you can to evaluate the undercarriage for rust severity
I just setup and account and the vin wouldn't take. Interesting.

Sounds like both are pigs I would make them take pictures of the underside before I even drove there both of them and if they just newly coded Land Cruiser with under coding then you’re gonna need to tell them you need to have a screwdriver and scrape some of it off to see if there’s rust under there I wouldn’t buy anything that is not from Florida Texas Arizona. These other states put salt on steroids on the roads unless you have an owner that has been on top of it and having it protected since new!! Dealer would have to prove it doesn’t have any rust.

It may very well come down to which is the better example. Or which speaks to you more. Judging by face value on the major specs, without knowing more about the particular examples, I would say the LX is overpriced a bit as an '09, making the LC perhaps a better value depending on how you see things.

Also dependent on perspective, AHC may be a major savings and advantage, or a liability. Anecdotes on the boards have shown it to be durable and maintainable. With performance capability to satisfy enthusiasts pursuits without wholesale ripping out of the suspension. Something that has to be budgeted and done for the LC. LX is out of the box is easier to fit larger and wider tires as there's no KDSS bar interference.

Food for thought as to some of the LX feature additions over the LC. Some of which the later '16+ LCs received.

LX features:
1) More sound deadening including acoustic laminated windshield
2) Powered rear hatch for open/close
3) Soft open rear lower tailgate, with power latching
4) Surround camera system
5) Ventilated/Heated front row
6) Mark Levinson Reference (only other model to get the Reference system is the LS) w/surround
7) Power side view mirrors with auto-fold (I believe later LC's go this)
8) AHC - AVS, lift on demand, auto and multi-step damping, anti-dive/roll/squat, leveling, etc., etc.
9) AHC underbody armor
10) Shorter roof rack (LC has a longer roof rack with 3 supports per side)
11) Steering headlights (AFS)
12) Projector headlights ('16+ LCs got this)
13) Headlight washers
14) Storage in rear seat armrest
15) Power slide rear seats
16) Second row storage on front seatbacks is a panel vs net
17) 14-way adjustable driver seat vs 10-way LC (passenger 12-way vs 8-way)
18) Power stowage for 3rd row seat
19) All windows down by holding remote door open button for 3+ seconds (not sure Toyota's have this?)
20) Substantial Lexus key fob (LC uses same one as corolla)
21) Fade-To-Off interior lighting (I believe LC got this in 2014?)
22) Puddle and side step lights
23) Door sil lighting
24) Interior ambient lighting
25) Additional trunk side light and open tailgate lighting
26) +2hp / +2tq (requires 91 octane, LC is 87 octane)
27) More luxurious interior appointments

I refuse to buy a vehicle that has ever been registered north of the Mason Dixon line.

Saves a lot of hassle.

Some of us northerners properly rust proof and maintain winter driven vehicles or/and just not drive the in winter and store the in heated garages. You may be surprised.

Some of us northerners properly rust proof and maintain winter driven vehicles or/and just not drive the in winter and store the in heated garages. You may be surprised.

I have no doubt that some do take care of their vehicles. I just find it easier to avoid all vehicles that have a known history of time in the salt states.

I vote to keep the F250.
I actually would be happy to. But we sold our travel trailer so I feel I no longer am using for its intended purposes. I sold a modified 4runner to get that truck. now 2 additional kids later, and one camper less, I really want to get back into a Toyota and It's been a life long dream to have another LC. (I had an 80 series long ago).

I actually would be happy to. But we sold our travel trailer so I feel I no longer am using for its intended purposes. I sold a modified 4runner to get that truck. now 2 additional kids later, and one camper less, I really want to get back into a Toyota and It's been a life long dream to have another LC. (I had an 80 series long ago).
That’s funny, I sold my F350 to get my 100 series cruiser when I had my third child thinking I would need the passenger space and would make it a fun family off road vehicle. I ended up buying a travel trailer about two years later and tow it with the wife’s 200 series which is now the mall cruiser/ tow vehicle/ off road rig. After towing about 10k miles this year at 7mpg I wish I had kept my dually with the auxiliary fuel tank lol.

Thanks!

when I drove the lx, the main thing that sold me was how cush the ride was. Drive both cars back to back and see if it’s the same for you.

having a lower vehicle on the road and a taller one offroad is nice too.

I love that the OP sig now shows a new 2021!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom