Land Cruiser 95 | Tyres choice - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I know there is a specific section for tyres, but I thought it would be better to discuss it here with the 90 series owners.

I have little experience in off-road, so tyres selection is something that has been very difficult to do without proper advice. For your context, I am a recent owner of a prado/KZJ 95 (125cv but with a little tuning and a power chip that I rarely use - it is running pretty well without pushing the turbo).

I currently have a set of Toyo Open Country MT (a skinny 235/85 r16) installed which came with the car. Where I live the terrain is quite diversified throughout seasons (everything from rocks, mud, sand...) but honestly I do a very smooth off-road for now (mainly with the family). In this context, the most sensible choice as of know would be to go with an AT option, but as I do few miles with the car (kilometres in my case :)) and this will be a choice for some time, I was quite into buying a set of Cooper ST Maxx which are a kind of hybrid AT/MT (I have read quite good feedback on these) with proper traction on road (particularly in rain) and off road. Nevertheless, the only option would be to go with the standard 265/70 which is quite small.

As a result, I think that my alternatives are the following (available sizes differ in Europe):
- BFG KO2 in 265/75 r16
- Cooper ST Maxx in 265/70 r16 or 235/85 r16 (one is quite small, the other skinny)
- Toyo Open Country MT or BFG KM3 in 255/85 or 235/85

Apart from price, what do you think is the best option? Would you consider the size 235/85 in your vehicles or is it too skinny? And 255/85 (someone told me it would be a very good option - 285 is too much)? Or do you think 265/75 is the best compromise I can have?

If I had to make a decision next hour I would go for the 265/75 KO2, but I have plenty of time to decide, so I would like to have your thoughts.

Thank you for the help. All the best and stay safe!

Hello!

I run KM3's (obviously mud terrain) on my 90 and I think they are brilliant. It had old practically worn KO2's on it when I got it. Its my daily driver and I don't get annoyed with a bit of noise - Its nowhere near as bad as people make out, but noisier that AT's. That being said if your not going to be slinging mud, the AT's make sense and will likely wear less. Both are good tires and can do on/offroad well. The way I would make my decision between these two is if you are going to go off roading as a hobby, get the MT's. If its a necessity, The AT's will do the job well.

As for brand ive only ever had BF Goodrich and they have been very good. Available everywhere too. I cant comment on any other brands though.

Size wise you can put 265/75/16 no problem. Any bigger can rub on the chassis at full lock (Fine if you can deal with that).

Ben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom