Land Cruiser 80 turbo diesel wont start after fitting new injector nozzles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 series turbo diesel land cruiser was battling to start but would fire up after about 10 seconds spinning the starter. Removed and checked the injectors and the nozzles where dripping diesel not spraying, replaced nozzles and spray pattern is great again. Put them back in the engine and tried to start it, absolutely nothing, not even a pop or splutter. Tried quick start spray and the engine would pop until the spray was used up and then nothing again. The starter motor also seems to be labouring which it was doing beforehand with the bad injectors but it would still start though. The vehicles has a dual battery system which I believe has a 24v starter motor. So two questions....
How do I check if the starter motor is getting 24 volts to it when I spin the engine over?
And what could be the problem with the engine not responding at all when I spin it over with the reconditioned injectors fitted?
I really thought that it would fire up easily when I fitted the recon injectors but this has left me baffled.
Any advice would be great! Mzee

Did you try disconnecting the batteries? resetting the electrical components might help especially if the engine was trying to compensate with bad injectors before hand?? its an easy try at least! :meh:

Hdj80 should fire on the first compression stroke if it's getting fuel and the starter is good

Did you bleed air out of injector lines?

Air is compressible. With air in the lines the injector won't see enough fuel pressure to overcome the spring pressure.

Use the hand primer to prime the injector pump. Loosen all of the injector lines at the injector.
Crank the starter until you get diesel leaking out at each injector.
Tighten injector lines.

If you remove glow plugs while bleeding injectors, you can crank the engine without having to overcome 20:1 compression.

It can take a few minutes of cranking, or a few seconds

Thanks guys. done all the above. System is bled and tested injectors attached upside down and all spraying nicely. Been trying to avoid this thought but I think a compression test is in order, just don't have the tools for this yet. My confusion is that it was starting with the bad injectors before and no lack of engine power either. Glow plugs are working fine too.

You do anything else at the same time? Injection pump removed? (pump timing) Injection lines removed (and installed in wrong order at pump if that's possible)? Does the pump have a fuel cut solenoid that isn't hooked up / working properly? Low oil pressure fuel cut? I guess based on it firing on ether, the valve train and timing belt are good...

Am pretty sure everything is in order as I have checked over and over because of the no start issue. Will post compression results here when I get my hands on a tester. Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom