land cruiser 79 1gr or 1vd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on my way of buying a brand new land cruiser double cab lhd, only 1gr option and import to my country (venezuela). When i was ready to pay the seller told about the new 1vd option lhd. I am a cruiserholic and i want the best option of this car. In my country diesel is not popular here only for trucks, the 1gr is more than proven, very good engine and make this land cruiser very fast. About the 1vd some people say is not too powerful to be a v8 but with some toys everything changes. What i like of the 1vd is the towing capacity 3500kg vs 1500 the 1gr.

if i go for the 1gr ill put this kit. Toyota 79 Landcruiser

and if i go for the 1vd ill buy this one 1VD-FTV Up To 110% Power Upgrade By GTurbo | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Stirling Area - Balcatta | 1042340376

1vd is 50 ppm in my country is about thousands ppm, but i read is not something to bad because diesel 50 ppm or less is not good for the engine. and ill put more filters.

Is there a price difference? If I had a choice, I would probably go with the 1VD, as it is very torquey. Also power output can be easily changed via chip/ECU tuning and exhaust.

I only had the choice of 1GR (Japan's air quality laws won't allow a 1VD) so I use that and enjoy it.

Last edited:
In australia the price different are about 8000usd but in dubai where i am buying the price is the same both. 40.000 usd for the lx full equipment.

i receive this email from gturbo

GTurbo and the 1VD-FTV (single turbo)

The Toyota 1VD-FTV is found in the VDJ 70 series Landcruiser from 2007 to now and is fitted with a small Garrett variable geometry turbo (VNT) typically found on a 3 litre engine. GTurbo has fully customised, redesigned/re-engineered several upgrades that are direct fit. Visually the same (it is supplied on an exchange basis), it masks a complete overhaul of the original design, retaining (but a redesign of) the modern variable nozzle technology (VNT).

This engine is proving to be extremely robust when it comes to substantial power increases. Gturbo developed the first V8 upgrade in 2012. Our first test vehicle has completed over 80,000km of very heavy use with power levels exceeding 70% over standard. We have seen these Gturbo fitted engines put down over 260rwkw with far superior to factory drivability and quite incredible low end torque. This is significantly more than double the factory output. With these increases, fuel economy hasn't suffered.

Late in 2015, as a commitment to the development of this engines performance products, GTurbo purchased a VDJ79 to be raced competitively in the West Australian Off Road Racing Championship. To date our performance has been exceptional with Class wins and overall race times exceeding many of those in higher classed vehicles. Engine and turbocharger reliability over the past 2 years has been 100%.

Check out Dyno graphs on "Gturbo Diesel Performance" on FACEBOOK.

I’ve written out some options to help your determine what stage best suits you and the costs for these options. All of our turbos are exchange and we do have a core charge on our V8 turbos, of $1300. If this cost has been added onto your total it will be refunded once we receive your old turbo back.

Gturbo tunes for safe performance and the performance figures below reflect this philosophy. While higher figures are available with custom tuning and/or unsafe tuning with low air/fuel ratios, this is a risk the customer must express that they are willing to accept. On this basis we can tune more aggressively.

A Std single turbo 4.5L V8 produces 155kW and 430nm at the crank. When measured at the wheels this can vary from as low as 90kW to as high as 125kW. Typical results are 115kW/370Nm at the wheels.

Providing your vehicle doesn’t have any mechanical problems, this can be raised in various stages as outlined below:

GTurbo Diesel Performance www.gturbo.com.au Ph: 0401 524 399

STAGE 1 - GRUNTER upgrade.

This specification targets great low down response and the ability to carry the performance/boost efficiently throughout the rev range. The Grunter turbo has a 25% higher flow, high efficiency compressor wheel, upgraded thrust bearings and a marine grade stainless vacuum boost controller replacing the aluminised mild steel actuator that is quickly deteriorated by salt that causes premature failures.

It’s design boost is 21psi and can be operated efficiently from 0 - 25psi.

Standard the VDJ 70 series produces 430nm of engine torque and 90-120rwkw. With a Grunter turbo combined with our custom tune, you can expect around 750nm of engine torque and 170wkw to 190rwkw. Installations with a large intercooler, 3” exhaust and an upgraded injectors have yielded results as high as 200rwkw and torque over 850nm at the crankshaft. An upgraded clutch is mandatory.

The Gturbo Grunter turbo by itself is $2790.

This makes an amazing difference in towing with crisp throttle response and torque right off the bottom. Improved fuel economy is also possible with additional range experienced by a large portion of our customers (more than just piggyback installed by itself) based on their feedback.

STAGE 2 - BAD BOY “Red Wheel” upgrade:

This specification targets mid and top end power, with power delivery that every big V8 should have. The Bad Boy turbo has a higher flow high efficiency point machined billet compressor wheel, a 30% larger high flow turbine wheel, upgraded thrust bearings, 30% stronger main shaft, higher flow VNT system and a marine grade stainless vacuum boost controller replacing the aluminised mild steel actuator that is quickly deteriorated by salt that causes premature failures.

It’s design boost is 22-32psi and can be operated efficiently from 0 - 35psi.

Standard the VDJ 70 series produces 430nm of engine torque and 90-120rwkw. With a Bad Boy turbo combined with our custom programmed electronic control module/chip, you can expect around 850nm of engine torque and 180wkw to 205rwkw. Installations with a large intercooler, 3” exhaust and an upgraded injectors have yielded results as high as 260rwkw and torque over 1100nm at the crankshaft. An upgraded clutch is mandatory.

The Gturbo Bad Boy “Red Wheel” turbo by itself is $3490.00.

Common supporting modifications include; exhaust upgrade, lift pump, upgraded air filter and induction plumbing, replacement crossover pipe, high flow injectors. Call us to discuss what is the best items to upgrade to deliver you the best result for your dollar.

What about the 50 ppm diesel? what i read about it, is a diesel less contaminant but also less lubricate than the normal diesel so this engines use special inyectors to work with.

I wonder why they have the big difference in towing capacity? Usually its more about the braking ability and mass of the towing vehicle.

I wonder why they have the big difference in towing capacity? Usually its more about the braking ability and mass of the towing vehicle.

Has to be the torque difference.

If your diesel quality is questionable then forget about the 1VD .... The 1GR matches it for consumption under heavy conditions anyway so ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom