Lame Screw Question..but,i need guidance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to take out my rear seats this mornign to move stuff. One of the bolts stripped. I had to drill the head off to get the seat out. Now i have to get the remainder of the bolt out.
From other people's posts (ie. my rear shock mounting bolt seized..what to do?)..i know i need to get an "EZ OUT"? Question (this is the lame one)..
  • What is an ez out
  • where do i get one (Home Depot?)
  • How do i use it

HEre is a pic of my screw. :p

LinkPhoto

And because this is a lame question..and I am probably the first to post a pic of a Screw..i thought i would redeem myself with the pic below. Thanks for the advice everyone..

nikkischeilerzieringblackb1.jpg

later,
Joe M

When I take out my rear seats I usually just un clip them :eek:. Go to Sears, they have easy outs. I never have much luck with them though. Looks like you have a little stud sticking out so you might try a pair of those robo-grips on it.

Best of luck

rick, how do you unclip the seats?
these are my first (?) rear seats not the third row..looks like only unscrewing to get them out.

i will go to sears..see what i can find.

thanks bud.
Joe

I'd just grab it with a Vise-Grip and turn - you've got a nice big stump to grab in your pic. EZ Outs are for when you break the bolt off flush and are almost useless anyway - the EZ out tends to break because they are brittle and then you're screwed (pun intended) 'cause the EZ out is made of HARD metal that you can't drill out.

Use some penetrating oil first to loosen it up - first choice Kroil, second choice official Toyota High Performance Penetrating Oil, third choice PB Blaster, and last and least WD40 if you can't find anything else.

Give it a few hits with a hammer to maybe loosen some of the threads. My brother Doug recommended PB Blaster as a penetrating oil, I now swear by the stuff. Buy some, you'll need it for other stuff too, let it soak into the threads. Spray it from underneath too if you can. You don't need an EZ-out unless you break it off flush. Grab it real hard with a vice grips. File some flats on it if you need to help grip. It'll come out. Also buy some anti-sieze for the new bolt you'll be putting in, keeps it from rusting.

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=7895;start=msg66522#msg66522 date=1069511056]
... One of the bolts stripped. ...
[/quote]

What stripped, the threads on the bolt or nut, or did the head of the bolt round off?

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=7895;start=msg66522#msg66522 date=1069511056]
nikkischeilerzieringblackb1.jpg

[/quote]

Uh, feel free to ask a question like that anytime with pics. :D :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom