Lambs and Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of two coyotes that were chasing the dog a couple of weeks ago. Rare daytime appearance. Mostly, coyotes only are heard at night, but these two were aggressively chasing my Pitbull close to the cabin. Pegged this one at 65 yards on the run. The other one was hit but ran back into the woods. It's two less to worry about with the sheep around.
IMG_2124.JPG

Great photos and lifestyle, please keep them coming!
I may actually have a chance to escape city life as my son is a 4th yr animal sciences major.
I'm hoping he pursues vet school and becomes a large animal vet.

Great photos and lifestyle, please keep them coming!
I may actually have a chance to escape city life as my son is a 4th yr animal sciences major.
I'm hoping he pursues vet school and becomes a large animal vet.
Make it happen, you'll love farm life. Vets make big money these days and are well respected!

The pinestraw is ready for harvesting this week. It will be delivered up and down the east coast in bales. It's not that dirty brown crap that you get at the Home Depot. Fresh fallen Long leaf pinestraw is the best quality. Time to sharpen up the rake.
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG

I never knew they harvested that stuff? What would it be used for?

Make it happen, you'll love farm life. Vets make big money these days and are well respected!
My daughter has her heart set on being vet who works on Marine animal. I bet she ends up specializing in a veterinary field for small animals. Whatever she sets her goals of doing I pretty sure she will carry it out.

Thanks for the cool farm pics. Fun to listen to my dogs at night bark at the howling coyotes.

Hopefully some new photos coming soon?

Anywhere near Alma? My wife has relatives that live out that way, I may have to visit them soon.

Mo pics....

Chilling on a warm fall day.
IMG_2234.JPG

Pepper overlooking the flock.
IMG_2240.JPG

Hair ball attack.
IMG_2247.JPG

Hopefully some new photos coming soon?

Anywhere near Alma? My wife has relatives that live out that way, I may have to visit them soon.
I believe Alma is a couple of hours to the northeast of us on the other side of I-75. It's a dot on the map but Alma is known for it's blueberry farms. Lots of grey acidic soil in that area, which is what blueberries crave.

Very disappointed to just be discovering this thread. Dream life, right here - and a reminder of my roots.

PS I know them needles make you $$

Fire February again.
IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

More prescribed burn action.
IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

Watch where you step! I was walking all around this little guy's hole before I noticed him. The ultimate booby trap. About 3 1/2 feet long with 11 rattles.
IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Stretching the cruiser's legs through the woods. Grass is already growing back. It's been in the 80's recently, early spring.
IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

I also can't believe I haven't seen this thread.

It looks so idyllic.

I have to admit, though, I have a love/hate relationship with sheep from growing up. We ran around 300 head, and they caused the majority of all problems, and especially sleepless nights, especially during bad weather.

Lambing was super stressful.

We had Targhees, though, which are hardy, large framed, bad tempered and prone to large multiple "litters" of lambs; up to 5 per ewe.

This led to diminishing social opportunities, as bottle feeding in addition to school and other farm work made this a 24/7 affair.

BTW, how are your bee populations doing? I noticed an increase in bees this year for the first time in recent memory.

I also can't believe I haven't seen this thread.

It looks so idyllic.

I have to admit, though, I have a love/hate relationship with sheep from growing up. We ran around 300 head, and they caused the majority of all problems, and especially sleepless nights, especially during bad weather.

Lambing was super stressful.

We had Targhees, though, which are hardy, large framed, bad tempered and prone to large multiple "litters" of lambs; up to 5 per ewe.

This led to diminishing social opportunities, as bottle feeding in addition to school and other farm work made this a 24/7 affair.

BTW, how are your bee populations doing? I noticed an increase in bees this year for the first time in recent memory.
Very cool!

I've only got a few Katahdin ewe's so far and they are very tame, more like pets. My sheep guy unfortunately passed away last year so I've been looking for a suitable ram for breeding in September. Three ewes were born on the farm and the other two were from the sheep guy. I'm hoping to get a couple of lambs per ewe so the flock can expand. I will keep any females and sell the young rams as they get pretty rowdy. The Ewes are free ranging and stay close to the house most the time. I originally bought them for keeping the weeds down, but they are great fertilizer spreaders.

The bees are present this year but talking to one of the beekeepers, they are not doing that well, maybe too much rain he said. Last year were hardly any bees in the queen boxes, but the honey boxes were ok. They can't pin down why the bees are having a rough time. We've had bees on the farm for about 20 years now. They are great pollinator's for the fruit trees and grape vines. We go the organic route so no pesticides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom