Lambs and Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a new addition to the flock during the night. Already up and chasing it's mother.

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

Lamb is doing great. Had a chance to check and hurray its a female. Big ewe in first pic is ready to drop one any day now.

IMG_1412.JPG

Last edited:
Nice vineyard. What's the deal there? Wine grapes?

Nice vineyard. What's the deal there? Wine grapes?
Muscadine grapes used mainly for eating fresh. People come down and pick them by the 5 gallon bucket when in season, August-September. I've made several batches of wine with them in previous years. Made about 300 bottles one year.

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

Last edited:
Added two more to the flock today. Dolly the dominate ewe had twins this morning. They came out mostly light brown which was a surprise considering the father and mother are both solid white katahdin's. Pancho must have made a visit 5 months ago, LOL! The lamb on the left is three weeks old.
IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

This is the last remaining tobacco barn on the farm. It was built on site over 100 years ago. Back then they used mules to haul the timber and used a portable mill to mill the lumber. It's been through several big storms and hurricanes in its lifetime and still standing. I took the original floor boards and milled them for the floor and interior trim for my cabin. The barn is currently storing reclaimed wood that I pulled from other old barns in the area.
IMG_1584.JPG

We do prescribed burns to maintain the pine trees every couple of years to clear the undergrowth and maintain the wildlife habitat. The top pic is a recent burn from a couple of weeks ago. The under and mid story growth was 5-10 feet tall before the burn, now it's ready for regrowth. The lower pic shows what the forest floor looks like after a couple of months of regrowth. Prescribed fires have been used in this area to maintain a healthy forest since the indians ruled this area. They used it to maintain hunting lands and protect against wildfires. We continue this tradition to maintain planted pines.

Top two pics are Slash Pines approximately 30 years old.
Bottom pic is Longleaf Pines that are 15 years old.

IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

Living in the deep woods brings wild life right up close. Found this rat snake looking for a meal on the Taco. Hopefully he can do something about the little mouse that has made a home under the hood.
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG

I can sense the similarities between us and our farms. It's always a early morning walk through acreage before I really start day dogs and wife in tow. I always see things that need to be done no matter where I walk whether it be in the pasture or woods.

My farm was deeded to a Creek Indian in 1906 and the small cabin she lived in initially still sits in our yard. Old cistern is in the pasture when they would collect water. Moving there full time in little over a year. There is no greater peace then sitting in the evening listening to coyotes, owls and frogs at the pond sound off. Turkey gobble at dusk and first light in the spring and I love hearing them. When it’s hot and humid ya play in the swimming pond.

I have list of things I want to do when I move one being having a good garden. We would like to raise some animals in time whether it be goats or something else ( just a few) but we will see. I hope to camp and travel in the Land cruisers making owning animals tough

You have a very beautiful farm there. Keep posting some pics!

DD8C67DE-A916-4E1C-8706-2B6D94A46AB7.jpeg

248282F5-5AB4-4A9F-AE05-2C210FA0930B.jpeg

B3AE302B-48DF-4F03-9A34-623511CB7986.jpeg

Last edited:
It's fire season again. It's been slow coming as we have had one of the wettest winters in sometime.
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG

(Dr.) Pepper has recovered from her snip snip and is pouncing on anything that moves.
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom