Lack of Power Under Load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our 2000 LX recently became a dog. You have to floor it climb a hill and even then you are lucky to get 35 to 40 mph. It revs fine in neutral, but has such little power under load. It has 296,000 miles on it. Has always been well serviced. Any ideas?

Have you recently tried to sell your LX? There was a thread describing this exact problem with someone viewing a vehicle having concerns. We answered things to look for.

Have you recently tried to sell your LX? There was a thread describing this exact problem with someone viewing a vehicle having concerns. We answered things to look for.

The thread referred to above:

Thanks for the replies. I will check the throttle cable.

This is not the same thread as in the post you were kind to forward. I have suspected clogged cats for a while, but maybe it is the MAF sensor. I saw some post in a Four Runner forum about that being an issue. I am also wondering whether the original fuel pump is still up to par. It is going in to my good independent mechanic for an oil change this week or next, I will discuss with him and see what he thinks. Keep y'all posted,

When did the issue start, was this a gradual decline of power or did it happen overnight? Maybe try messing around with the shifter in 1st or 2nd gear just to see if power returns or if it still bogs to maybe help narrow this down a bit.
>> I remember a thread a while back some fellow had issues with his second start button and kept him in second from a start when he needed to make power in 1st.

I don’t recall when it started. It was my wife’s car, and then it kinda became a family pool car, so I don’t drive it that much. It is definitely something not right.

Ha. Have tried it. Seemed to work a bit, but still way off. Thanks though!

I don’t recall when it started. It was my wife’s car, and then it kinda became a family pool car, so I don’t drive it that much. It is definitely something not right.

So go back and try to put yourself in first gear to see if it makes power, if so then get yourself to second gear and see how she feels. I think the name of the game here is to narrow it down because this problem could have many causes.

Why bother just throwing out random parts that may be causing the issue, sure it could be anything fuel/air/spark/motor related. This needs to be tested further with a better description of symptoms like mentioned earlier.

@hkeller also mentions he hasnt driven it in a while, are you sure it has indeed slowed down, these rigs can be dogs at times. What happens when you put the pedal to the floor in 1st or 2nd gear? Maybe go in low and second start, see if she has power there as well.

I mention fuel pump only because your symptoms sound exactly like what my old Jeep WJ was doing when the fuel pump was shot. That was on the 4.0 inline six... when I stepped on the throttle going up hills, etc., the truck just didn't want to go. Replaced fuel pump and was right as rain

It is at the shop now. I am leaning towards fuel pump. It is original at 300K miles. I will call them tomorrow. I think I have a spare in the rear.

It is at the shop now. I am leaning towards fuel pump. It is original at 300K miles. I will call them tomorrow. I think I have a spare in the rear.
What was the verdict?

They are still investigating. I had a fuel pump. Just spoke with him. He said it would be as cheap to install the pump as it would be to install a Shrader valve to test the fuel pressure, so he is going to give that a shot. He checked the cats and they were both good. He cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter. Still no noticeable improvement. If the fuel pump doesn't fix it, maybe I'll throw a MAF sensor in it. After that, not sure what it could be.

Well, he installed a new fuel pump and filter. Don't know if it was one or both, but the thing drives much better. Better off the line, better throttle response through the entire powerband, more power under load. Also, the BRAAAATTTT sound it was making under load and heavy throttle is much quieter. Not sure I understand the correlation, but I like the way it drives again.

FTW !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom