lack of power no smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Truck in the last week started and sputtering in fourth gear, no power, if I shift a gear down to third sometimes the power returns. Other wise I have to rev the engine a few times then the power returns.

3b engine
Changed the fuel filter.
Drained the water separater.
Exhaust temp won't go over 900F when symptoms occur.
No smoke.
Cut the fuel filter open and found fine rust particulate.
Is my fuel tank full of crap?
Or is the pump on its way out?
Any ideas?
Thanks all,
Jon

Last edited:
defiantly sounds like lack of fuel..... try installing a cheap pusher pump inline. Maybe try to blow back through the line while you have it off the filter to make sure you dont have a bug chunk of crap stuck in the line somewhere.

any ideas or thoughts? this is my daily driver
thanks again

Rig up an alternative fuel supply from a small bottle and connect it to your fuel filter.

Could be the fuel pick up on the tank possible blockage of the gauze filter in the tank or maybe the pick up is leaking air

ok I put a new primer pump on today (old one leaked),
presurized the tank and found a hose left unclamped clamped it.
But still sputtering action going on, so tommorow night i'll try a pusher pump, and this weekend pull the tank.
Thanks again for the replies much appreciated.

ONT !!!!!

Canada !!!

Rust Haven !!!

This line ""Cut the fuel filter open and found fine rust particulate."""

Nada allowed !!!!
Fuel tank is rusted and the pickup mesh is restricting the fuel .

I have a 3B from the Republic Of Ontario .. Same syndrome ..

Canuk-er also..

To check , But that Republic truck has rusted everything , so watch how you break.. , pull rear tailgate lower s/s carpet 6 screws , pull carpet forward , 2 Phillips to open body to fuel tank access panel , open up the fuel tank sender (NO SMOKING) than remove slow.. there is a ball like in the toilet level unit. check for rust on the top of the tank , and the pick-up filter mesh.

VT

PS don't fix tank , replace with used if rusted ..

Flee-bay , Used part.com one from hot areas..

Ya can't really fix , Ya only Patch with sealer.

VT

Thanks again for the replies. I got the pusher pump installed and it solved the the problem for the time bieng (fuel restriction the problem). I am also waiting on toyota because i have an fj60 body i have american and canadian vin #'s so I might be able to get a recall tank for free, got my fingers crossed. Worst case sinerio i pull the tank and get it stripped and dipped.

I'll be back!! Jon

Big Blue 84BJ60.. I have a few here that came from 2 diesels , My Gas Calli body is rust exempt.

Change to fuel filter to a real good quality one OEM or find a real Fuel injection shop , Napa / Crap tube ETC are JUNK !! , Your looking for a the smallest micron fuel filer , and you will use them if the plug.

YOU MUST protect the diesel main fuel pump. , If not ,, NEXT car ..

In 2 months the other bunch of 100.00 trucks will show up . I should have a bunch ,

Check the recall off of Vin .. PM to keep in touch. I paid 100.00 bucks for a parts plastic / nut bit .. Scrap steel i get 80 back , so for 20 , cheap for a parts , and plus.

I have a free 4.2 gas sucker for anyone, drive up , I'll fork lift it in.

VT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom