LA Area Run, Sat. May 3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone be down to do some wheeling on Saturday, May 3? I am itching to get back out there after running Cleghorn last weekend... also the fiance is doing a girls shower that day, so I'm free :D

OK, so here's the plan:

Meet at 8:30AM at the Chevron in Mission Hills (where the 405 and 118 meet). 10701 Sepulveda Blvd. Mission Hills, CA 91345 (corner of Sepulveda and Chatsworth). We can all drive up together (about 50min - 1hr to Gorman). Hit Pronghorn in the AM and then maybe some more trails in the OHV after that (I've got a trail guide that covers many of the trails in the OHV). I know not everyone will be staying all day, but if we get bored in the OHV there are some other nice trails close by in Frazier Park/Pine Mountain.

Here's the blurb on Pronghorn (California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells):
Difficulty: Moderate. Narrow, tippy and steep in places. No long vehicles (NOTE: "long" in this book generally refers to a quad-cab F250 :)).

Time & Distance:
12.7 mi. Allow 1-2 hours plus time for side trips.

I have never run this trail before but it seems pretty moderate from what I've read about it... I'm not in for body damage so if we get to a point where someone isn't comfortable, we can just turn around and head back... there is PLENTY to do in Hungry Valley.

I would love to meet and wheel with you guys. Let me know if you would be interested! These trails would be easy-moderate, unlikely body damage. If it sounds like it would be too long for you (probably AM until evening), just come and run 1 trail!

-Phil

Last edited:
I'd be up for a Gorman run. I'm not sure where Pronghorn is but when I was up there a couple weeks ago, all the NFS roads were posted CLOSED. Not sure of the current status.

That said, there's a couple of roads in the OHV area that I'd like to run but they're black diamond so they may not qualify for "damaga unlikely". I'm thinking of Backbone trail or Quail something, but really I'm up for anything involving gasoline and dirt.

Dan.

edit: Found Pronghorn on my map in the truck. It is within the OHV area boundary but you knew that. Looks good, my map doesn't show the difficulty level but there's some good stuff there. Currently won't be able to stay all day, but I'm willing to come up for the AM. I don't have my sliders yet either.

Last edited:
Cool... i don't sliders yet so I am not into anything too nasty. I'll call them next week and see what the current status is of the trails up there.

Also, I am fairly certain Pronghorn is in the OHV.

-Phil

May 3rd? This gonna be a day run? never been up there but i'd like to give it a shot.

I would love to go, but I will be out of town that weekend.

Smit

Wife and the oldest kid is in SD with the Girl Scouts - a quick run to Gorman, wheel, and back home - Why not? :DI might not stay all day but I get to see some of y'all! :cheers:

edit: secured babysitting with Grandma - might be able to stay awhile. ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got too much shiat going on in my life. Golf Tournament on the 3rd. I'm out.

I would love to go, but I will be out of town that weekend.

Smit

Smit let us know when you are going to be in town!!!!! Now that is going to be ground breakng news!!!!

Don't ya miss California??? :grinpimp:

Phil thanks for posting up in the SoCal 80's Trail directory!!!!! :clap:

I won't be able to do this run, good chance I am getting laid off tomorrow or next Friday, plus that weekend is Anniversary with the :princess:

Sorry to hear this! What do you do for a living? Maybe I can give you some contacts...

I'm glad so many people are interested! I will post up some details this week and we can put it in stone. Unfortunately my OBA system won't be done yet, so hopefully someone will have air :rolleyes: I was thinking about picking up one of those bulletproof 12v ones from Costco as a backup though, so maybe that will have to do!

Can't wait to meet you guys!
-Phil

Also, reply with the area you live in so I can come up with a good meeting place...

I am definitely working that weekend, but I may be able to get away from working on the new place before I go in (I work nights). I'll do a little tester with the wife and see if I can get out for a bit.

see my first post in this thread for updated info... let me know if that will work for you guys or if you want to adjust the start time!

Thanks,
Phil

Cool - I live close to Magic Mtn so Ill be at the Castaic McDonalds to meet everybody - maybe 845-900AM. I should be the last guy to pick up before Gorman.

I forgot the exit but you guys should see the big yellow M on the right.

Phil - is it okay to invite some FJCs from the Blue Forum? Theyve run Pronghorn before. Theyre not crazy yahoos out to break stuff. Not sure of their attendance anyways since itll be less than a week notice.

ok....gorman it is than?

Phil - is it okay to invite some FJCs from the Blue Forum? Theyve run Pronghorn before. Theyre not crazy yahoos out to break stuff. Not sure of their attendance anyways since itll be less than a week notice.

Sure... more the merrier.

-Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom