kzj78 rear wheel bearings in North America? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jdt

Threads
The kzj78 rear axle (mine's a 1995, the 3.0 liter diesel japanese import) is semi-floating, not like the 80 series or the heavy duty 70 series. As I understand it, the rear axle on my Prado is like the Hilux pickup (not sure it was ever called the Hilux in the USA). Is there anywhere in the USA that stocks a REAR wheel bearings kit (I've already rebuilt the front swivel hubs n bearings) for the KZJ, or does someone know for certain which years of hilux/toyota pickup are identical? A few sites in Australia want about $70 just for shipping to north america.... Thank in advance for any help.

It starts with a part number, then you can google for availability and price

90369-40003 rear axle bearing for light duty 7* and 9* series. I cant see a match up for any other Toyota.
Another way to get bearings is from bearing shops. You take the bearing off, let them measure it and they can match it up. I got a bearing made by Dodge Bearings who had been out of business for 40 years, for some machinery many years ago this way.
But if Kurts got em, he is the man

It starts with a part number, then you can google for availability and price

90369-40003 rear axle bearing for light duty 7* and 9* series. I cant see a match up for any other Toyota.
Another way to get bearings is from bearing shops. You take the bearing off, let them measure it and they can match it up. I got a bearing made by Dodge Bearings who had been out of business for 40 years, for some machinery many years ago this way.
But if Kurts got em, he is the man
Thank you, super helpful.

Bump, anyone able to get 90369-40003 in the US before I go to PartSouq?

It’s not a live part number in the US parts master.

You’ll need to go abroad.

Yeah i got that, just seeing if anyone actually stocked them here before I went abroad. CO just said they don’t.

I know, hilarious that I bothered to even ask right?
The nice thing about this RJ is that at least everything else is super easy shared application.

I know, hilarious that I bothered to even ask right?
The nice thing about this RJ is that at least everything else is super easy shared application.

At least in the current 70 section tech world.

People can’t even figure out what buttons on their dash do let alone wheel bearings. :lol: waste of time here dude.

At least in the current 70 section tech world.

People can’t even figure out what buttons on their dash do let alone wheel bearings. :lol: waste of time here dude.

Yeah, I am learning that. When only three posts come back from “semi-float rear wheel bearings” :lol:

looks like they’re easy enough to get in a Toyota box from the same DU4080 bearing in a Koyo box for half the price from Partsouq.

As for the seal, looks like it’s the same as 100-series rear so that’s easy.

Looking like these LD rear axles are basically a offset 90’s 4Runner/pickup axle.

Maybe I’ll do a little write up when i get to the job, i know it will be a fun setup on the press to pull these bearings off the shafts.
I doubt they even need to be swapped (fixing a diff/housing leak) but would hate to have to wait on them if needed. Definitely good to be proactive on PM when parts have to come from another continent.

More and more of these LD/Prados getting imported so Im sure I’ll have to do this job a few times.

Bearings very rarely go bad. There is a reason the SF tears are sealed bearings.

It’s 100% the axle seals.

Agreed. Still, going to be a bit till i get to it so figure $100 or so to have em handy is cheap insurance to not have a dead duck occupying my main bay.
It’s the differential case / housing connection that’s what’s actually leaking. Kinda strange from what I’ve seen.

Bearings very rarely go bad. There is a reason the SF tears are sealed bearings.

Hello,

x2.

Seals give up the ghost first, then bearings follow suit. It does take a long time, though. Ask me how I know.

Take the chance and replace the front axle bearings and seals as well.

Juan

Cruiser Outfitters had the kit in stock, I wanted the kit for the seals etc. as well as the bearings. I had also bought the front knuckle/bearing rebuild kit from them last year and did that (messy messy) job.

This is the info on their kit (i.e. their number, not toyota part number), Koyo bearings and OEM gaskets, good stuff but not cheap at $277.50. I have nothing but good to say about Cruiser Outfitters: Part# RAKLJ7X9X - Rear Axle Overhaul Kit - Fits 4/1990-10/02 LJ/KZJ7x/KDJ/KZJ/RZJ/VZJ9x Semi-Float Rear Axle -
2 x RAX Snap Ring
2 x Inner Bearing Retainer
2 x Rear Inner Axle Seal
2 x Rear Axle Washer Plate
2 x RAX Bearing
2 x RAX O-Ring
2 x Rear Outer Axle Seal
2 x Axle Deflector Gsk
1 x Rear Diff Gasket

Could very well be different in Japan or USA, but they will go bad here in Africa. Just really bad roads combined with mud/water ingress through failing seals. Mine were not yet 'bad' but races looked bad, and just the other day I felt a LOT of play in another fella's 70LC. Of course, we are talking about 25 year oldish trucks with 250k+ km on them

I ordered my bearings from Partsouq and got them today (4 business days) for just under $100.
I would have ordered them from CO (I have a CO wholesale accnt) but I got the new guy on the phone when I was calling about them.
They have so much selection and a huge amount of part numbers that aren’t on their sites. Can be difficult sometimes if not talking directly to Kurt when you need something unusual.

Reactions: jdt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom